inspired by Opeth + Vai on new album and yet more

Djöfull

Jan 27, 2002
Iceland
http://www.bravewords.com/features.html?id=1000222

goodie!!!!!!

"In the future, I've got music that's way, way different than any of the things I've done. For the next record, I got really interested in Blackwater Park by Opeth. I like the idea of being able to include ballads and extreme metal in the same song and let it go progressive, so I'm thinking that will probably be where I go next time. It will be nothing like these ones (SYL and Accelerated Evolution)."

Devin will have a special guest star on his new album: "Steve Vai is going to be playing on some of my new stuff and I'm going to be playing on some of his. I talked to Steve and he said he's doing a record that's like a story and he wants me to do some vocals on it. I said only if you play on my new record - he said he would love to, so that's where we're at. I want to try and get other musicians who I respect to contribute to my stuff as well. I want to have long, unabashed songs like 'Earth Day' and 'Deep Peace' (from the Terria album), that kind of direction where it starts off really unobtrusive and gets really heavy. Then again, I don't know what will happen, I'm in the genesis of that idea at the moment. All I know is what the cover and booklet are going to look like which I can't tell you about."

Devin is venturing into other areas of creativity as well. "I'm just finishing off a book called Tetrimental. I'm pretentious as fuck in my output but because I do it for myself, I take the 5th. Over the past five, seven years, I've always written things down. I get a flash, or I'm really high, drunk, in love, depressed, whatever; I always scribble it down. Out of every ten pages, there's one paragraph or one sentence that's really cool. It's just random thoughts but it's kind of like the lyrics to Terria, a stream of consciousness with more of a point. It's me just saying what I think, a bunch of words about it. I'll probably put it on my website http://www.hevydevy.com.

Not content to stop there, Townsend is hoping to explore television as well. "I had an idea for a puppet show.... more?... see article at the top

Djöfull said:
http://www.bravewords.com/features.html?id=1000222
"In the future, I've got music that's way, way different than any of the things I've done. For the next record, I got really interested in Blackwater Park by Opeth. I like the idea of being able to include ballads and extreme metal in the same song and let it go progressive, so I'm thinking that will probably be where I go next time. It will be nothing like these ones (SYL and Accelerated Evolution)."

bowdown.gif
bowdown.gif
bowdown.gif

shit yes!

Hell yeah.Thats got to be the coolest thing ive ever read.The next album will be yet another masterpiece me thinks.

And the fact that he is influenced by opeth is amazing.My favorite artist likes my favorite band.

and they all lived happily ever after....

Lets hope he's not too inspired by Opeth, seeinghow their last 3 albums pretty much sucked the big one. But I have faith in Devin.

Dreamlord said:
Lets hope he's not too inspired by Opeth, seeinghow their last 3 albums pretty much sucked the big one. But I have faith in Devin.

What an eternally ignorant and stupid thing to say.the word "cuntish" comes to mind.

:lol: can't we just all get along? :)

I guess the statement regarding Opeth's albums was meant as a joke, so calm down. If you consider that their fifth album - which belongs to those "last three" - has so much in common with their fourth album (which apparently doesn't "suck the big one" in Dreamlord's opinion), then this really can't be meant serious.