What direction is next for DTB ?

all4dametal

Aug 25, 2003
I've read a ton of interviews with Devin and he is indicating that he will be writing a way more progressive record (32 minute song's ?) for the next DTB album. I wonder if it's going to be progressive like 'Ants' off Infinity or is it going to be progressive in a Pink Floydish way, like Terria was. It will be interesting to hear the new guy's (Bryan, Ryan and the brothers) play some technical stuff too......what's everyones guess or thought's ?

I think it's going to be more crazy shit a la infinity, more heavier than AE, with longer songs...Some songs are in the writing process...

:cool:

all4dametal said:
I've read a ton of interviews with Devin and he is indicating that he will be writing a way more progressive record (32 minute song's ?) for the next DTB album. I wonder if it's going to be progressive like 'Ants' off Infinity or is it going to be progressive in a Pink Floydish way, like Terria was. It will be interesting to hear the new guy's (Bryan, Ryan and the brothers) play some technical stuff too......what's everyones guess or thought's ?

Yeah....AE can be a tough listen compared to Ocean Machine or Infinity, BUT give it a few more listens now that you have not listened to it for awhile Colonial Boy. I think listening to it with fresh ears may change your mind on that album. AE is a great album and a nice change from his earlier solo releases. I ca't wait to hear the next record though......

I'd like to see him pursue more ethereal and lush music... my favorite stuff of his are songs like "Tiny Tears"... and I'd also like to see him continue with great pop songs like "Stagnant" and "Slow Me Down"

Long, experimental songs so I guess something in the vein of Processional with the multiple parts: Star Child/Metamorph/Infinite Waltz.

I would just love to see something like "Om" done again too.

Alex78 said:
OM is Devin's best work! it's the most melodic and it's just beautiful(comparable to parts of Terria), so get it! :)

Definitively the best choice, also it seems that Ryan plays the OM songs with different parts, that should kick ass on stage, because I think that the drums on OM are a bit simple, but the rest is awesome

oldlyonfreak said:
Definitively the best choice, also it seems that Ryan plays the OM songs with different parts, that should kick ass on stage, because I think that the drums on OM are a bit simple, but the rest is awesome
they're really quite simple, especially in Night, I think.but then the overall sound is just so unique it doesn't really matter if the drums are more standard rock-like

I agree Alex 78. The drums on Ocean Machine are perfect for that album but I do agree with Geoff too. I saw DTB with Ryan playing the OM stuff live with , lets say, enhanced drum parts and did it ever kick-ass ! There was way more energy when he added double bass drum work, beats and cool drumfills in various OM song's. It was awesome hearing the song's in a different way. Regulator was amazing live ! He does'nt over-do-it, but makes it interesting and new.

The same went for AE.... the recorded drums seem like OM or very simple.... but when I saw AE song's performed live I heard Ryan add some new fills and bassdrum work to the song's which was refreshing and fun to watch. I'm all up for that kind of stuff.....

It was awesome hearing the song's in a different way. Regulator was amazing live ! He does'nt over-do-it, but makes it interesting and new.

Bootlegs please !!!!
:OMG:

Geoff

Yes.........Bootlegs would fucking rule ! Anyone have any footage ? Even clips ? The DTB are awesome live ! I agree with ya' Geoff, live... Ryan brings a new twist from a drumming point of view, just like Devin add's really cool guitar interludes between song's which makes the DTB live experience very memorable !