DTB review 12-8

SnidelyW

Jul 7, 2003
well, first i would like to say i am really thankful devin stayed on for the last few dates of this tour, i had never seen him live before and i wasnt dissapointed -

first thing when my wife and i got to the hard rock cafe i spotted devin outside by his tour bus - i yelled out for him because it looked like we werent going to catch him and he stopped - i asked him to sign my AE cover and take a pic with us - i asked him to sign the cover "im not insane" from random analysis and he wrote "im not insane, youre smarter than me" ha ha, really fucking cool -

we chatted for a couple of minutes and i told him i was a big fan of the work he'd done for soilwork and lamb of god - he said to keep in touch because he has a ton of projects coming out with a bunch of new bands - i asked him if he was going to be producing soilworks new album because natural born chaos is such a killer and he says "yeah, it really is good" and also nonchalantly said he was going to be producing the new soilwork album - i doublechecked with him on this because he seemed so blaze' about it, and he said "yep"

we had dinner and i talked to him again briefly as we left to do a little shopping before the show started -

we got back just before the first band came on - "stronghold" - evidently they are a pittsburgh band (?) - they were ok, pretty typical power metal - the only person i saw that i thought really had any talent was the singer - he was also the only one in the band under 200 lbs - ha ha - the lead guitarist has phenomenal chops, but he kind of made me think of bad steven king novels = tremendous vocabulary; nothing to say -

they do have some hot-as-fuck fans tho - well, one at least -

two songs of theirs stuck out "secrets" and "twilight" both of which were pretty extraordinary -

next up was dtb - he impressed me alot first off in two ways 1) he was helping everybody set-up, not just his own shit, and 2) he introduced the band as "DTB" not devin townsend band, which, as obvious as it is, still seemed pretty humble -

probably the funniest thing is that he had a "symphony X" t-shirt on - considering the shit theyve had to put up with from SX fans it was funny to see him being bigger than the problem -

he opened up with ocean then went straight into storm, which he said was written for his wife whom he would see in a couple of days - he really sang both songs with alot of passion - he didnt seem tired but he was noticably under the weather, at one point coughing pretty badly during a song -

he didnt really play a lot of AE - i think the only other AE song he played was the one with the long instrumental intro (cant rememner the name, think its "away") which segued into his solo showpiece - honestly, those two things were my only (minor) complaints 1) not enough AE and 2) a solo in a 50 minute set seems wasteful, IMO -

he played a song i recognized but dont know the name of it - it has blast beats and in the beginning it sounds like hes screaming "RECYCLE - RECYCLE" - one other line in that song is "music is only entertainment, folks" -

he closed the show with "bad devil" - which went over really well - in the song the second time its supposed to go "someone should have said" he sang "OH MY GOD!" - you could really tell he was ready to go home, not in a bad way -

we left right after dtb - honestly, im not the biggest fan of symphony x, and with the slagging their fans have been giving devin we didnt want to be another warm body supporting them - assanine as it may seem, they already got our money, they werent going to get our time too -

i mean, come on, this is devin fucking townsend - if theyre into heavy metal and cant appreciate the multitude of contributions that this guy makes, they need a lesson - from steve vai's best album to syl to dtb - not to mention producing lamb of god and soilworks best cd's to date - ugh -

in a world where the biggest challenge is finding something new to say, devin continually does just that -

ps. someone give devin 10 bucks - ha

forgot a couple things: toward the end of devins set the guys from symphony x were fucking with his band pretty hardcore - all in fun im sure - throwing paper airplanes and one guy even taped down the high-hat on the drummers kit - it was pretty funny -

also, i wish theyd of had more merchandise - they only had one t-shirt which was 2X, and one cd, which i already have -

ive heard the new devon townsend cd is supposed to be operatic or theme based, should be interesting -

thats all - honest -

SnidelyW said:
forgot a couple things: toward the end of devins set the guys from symphony x were fucking with his band pretty hardcore - all in fun im sure - throwing paper airplanes and one guy even taped down the high-hat on the drummers kit - it was pretty funny -

also, i wish theyd of had more merchandise - they only had one t-shirt which was 2X, and one cd, which i already have -

ive heard the new devon townsend cd is supposed to be operatic or theme based, should be interesting -

thats all - honest -
Thanks man, if you have some pics, send them, I'll update the fan pics section on HDR very soon

I was also at the show, it was great...he put a lot of energy into the performance. I'm only really familiar with Ocean Machine, so could someone attempt to post a set list? I need to buy some CDs....

no, i didnt have dinner with devin - when i said "we", i meant my wife and i - oops -

i do own terria but i dont really care for it that much -

as for a setlist, i think its something like this -

1 - ocean
2 - storm
3 - life
4 - unknown terria song
5 - away
6 - solo
7 - bad devil

im sure im missing something

my suggestion for great devin cds is:

1) accelerated evolution (fucking phenomenal)
2) strapping young lad - s/t
3) steve vai - sex and religion (devin sings entire cd, really great)

devin produced these phenomenal cds as well:

soilwork - natural born chaos
lamb of god - as the palaces burn

devin has a multitude of material out there - check out hdr.com for some more ideas -

i will be posting a new thread with a link to the pic for the person that requested above - probably this weekend -

Unknown Terria song --> Earth Day
Solo --> Deep Peace

My recommendations 'bout Devin: TERRIA, TERRIA, TERRIA, TERRIA and did I mention TERRIA??? Seriously, this is my fav Dev album, it's so pure.... I love it!!!

Anorakian said:
Unknown Terria song --> Earth Day
Solo --> Deep Peace

My recommendations 'bout Devin: TERRIA, TERRIA, TERRIA, TERRIA and did I mention TERRIA??? Seriously, this is my fav Dev album, it's so pure.... I love it!!!

Terria is great...It's a more peaceful Devin we have there, but it's cool because since this record He is happy and the sun shines in his mind again.

SnidelyW said:
probably the funniest thing is that he had a "symphony X" t-shirt on - considering the shit theyve had to put up with from SX fans it was funny to see him being bigger than the problem -

we left right after dtb - honestly, im not the biggest fan of symphony x, and with the slagging their fans have been giving devin we didnt want to be another warm body supporting them - assanine as it may seem, they already got our money, they werent going to get our time too -

i mean, come on, this is devin fucking townsend - if theyre into heavy metal and cant appreciate the multitude of contributions that this guy makes, they need a lesson - from steve vai's best album to syl to dtb - not to mention producing lamb of god and soilworks best cd's to date - ugh -
You know, why is it that you Devin fans keep blaming SymphonyX for the way SOME, NOT ALL of their fans may have treated Devin and his band during this tour? I was at the Pittsburgh show and nobody, that's right, nobody disrespected Devin until his comment that "This sucks major ass". Remember that? That wasn't provoked. That was Devin just throwing a comment out to the crowd to display his contempt for them not giving him a better response.

And just because you "heard" about how Devin was getting slagged by the SyX fans, why would you disrespect SyX and walk out before their set? They had nothing to do with it. You're a hypocrite whether you choose to admit it or not. You intentionally left before SyX performed because you didn't like the way the fans reacted to Devin Townsend. Well, at least there were some SyX fans in the crowd for Devin Townsend who actually applauded and appreciated the effort he put into his performance, even though he did insult the crowd. Here you are complaining that they didn't treat him right and then you walk out and don't give SyX "your time". What's with you guys? If the band was out there booing DTB then I would understand.

Oh, and by the way, it wasn't the guys in SyX throwing the peper airplanes at DTB. It was DTB's crew. I saw the guys who were throwing the planes and they were the ones who were helping break down DTB's equipment. Personally, I thought that was kind of insulting to DTB even though they were smiling and stuff. But, because it wasn't really appropriate you had to blame it on SyX, even if you excused it as "fun". I think the guys in SyX have a little more class than that. They may have taped the high hat shut as a gag, as I've heard that's pretty common with touring bands on the last night of a tour, but I don't know as fact if even that was them. And even though you weren't there to see it, Devin and one of his bandmates made an appearance on stage during SyX's set. Unannounced, he came across the stage during the Odyssey and started pretending he was exploring by pretending to shade his eyes and leaning forward. And nobody in the crowd booed him for that. I actually thought is was kind of funny and nice to see that the bands are friendly. I'm sure Devin doesn't blame the guys in SyX for the way the crowd responded to them. So why would you disrespect SyX yourself? I just think it's funny how you guys all seem to blame SyX for Devin's poor support.

And as far as Devin wearing the SyX shirt to rise above all the crap he'd been getting, that's a load of shit! You know damned well that he wore that hoping that by presenting himself as a fan of SyX (which he may well be) he might get more positive feeback from the crowd. Either that or he had nothing else to wear. But don't try to make him seem like a noble guy because of his shirt. He's the one who voiced his disgust over the mic, so don't try to say he was above everyone else. I've played in bands my whole life, and while there were crowds who were boring and I just wanted to get done and get out of there I never voiced my displeasure with them. That's a sure fire way to lose a crowd!

SnidelyW said:
no, i didnt have dinner with devin - when i said "we", i meant my wife and i - oops -

i do own terria but i dont really care for it that much -

as for a setlist, i think its something like this -

1 - ocean
2 - storm
3 - life
4 - unknown terria song
5 - away
6 - solo
7 - bad devil

im sure im missing something

my suggestion for great devin cds is:

1) accelerated evolution (fucking phenomenal)
2) strapping young lad - s/t
3) steve vai - sex and religion (devin sings entire cd, really great)

devin produced these phenomenal cds as well:

soilwork - natural born chaos
lamb of god - as the palaces burn

devin has a multitude of material out there - check out hdr.com for some more ideas -

i will be posting a new thread with a link to the pic for the person that requested above - probably this weekend -
SnidelyW you confuse me. How can you make Devin recommendations for his BEST material if you haven't heard it all?

i believe i said "MY SUGGESTIONS FOR GREAT DEVIN CD'S" - i never said anything about devins "best" since "best" is a relative thing - based on the individual who is considering whatever theyre considering -

nevertheless, i have continually downloaded every devin item i could find, and bought anything that i even remotely liked -

between getting shit for not staying to see "stink-for-me X" and not having a thorough knowledge you peoples' narrowmindedness continues to amaze me -

SnidelyW said:
between getting shit for not staying to see "stink-for-me X" and not having a thorough knowledge you peoples' narrowmindedness continues to amaze me -

Honestly, I dont much care that you didnt stay for SX's set, as well as any SX fan. It was your own decision, your own loss . I also must thank you though for leaving, because you gave a person who paid their cash to watch DTB AND SYMPHONY X a better spot to stand in - so I thank you for that.

Also, isnt it kind of "sketchy" to not see a band that you paid to see, because you heard that SymX fans disrepsect Devin. At Toad's there was a great respect for the man, and his music. We cheered for him, and he commented so.
"We Fucking Hate You!..... Just Kidding, we love you... just buy our merchandise" - Devin Townsend @ Toads

Just a question - Did you leave SOLELY on the fact that SymX fans "disrespected" DTB?

Hey Scanner313,

For the record, DTB did'nt have ANY crew on this US tour. They did everything themselves. I talked to the band in Worcester about it and they said they were going back to basic's by driving and setting up their own gear. SX's crew were the people throwing the paper airplanes and doing all the pranks to the DTB. I'm sure it was all in good fun. The SX crew was helping DTB through out the tour I guess but DTB NEVER had a crew all tour long. Get your shit straight before you yap off.

Lastly, everyone should grow up and realize that both bands went out and gave it there best shot. So what if Devin tells crowds off......thats part of what makes him entertaining, If you don't get it.......don't comment. I personally think it was a mismatch bill from the beginning but respect the fact that DTB still showed up everynight under any circumstance, whether them being sick at there last few shows or them being fatigued from doing everything on the tour from driving to setting up their own gear instead of taking there usual tour bus with crew.

If you post here or anywhere with a respected band, use common sense and respect,don't be a fuckin' moron saying shit about a band that the forum is about !

SnidelyW said:
i was there to see devin, ya big ohff
And the majority of the fans were there to see SyX, so should they be blasted for not being overly enthusiastic during Devin's set? I never even heard the guys music and I thought he performed well, but I'm not about to start jumping around and screaming for some band I've never heard before. It just doesn't happen.

All I'm saying is that your comments, as well as most others here, seem like you're blaming SymphonyX for the poor crowd reception for Devin. It has nothing to do with them, so don't bash/blame them for it.

all4dametal said:
Hey Scanner313,

For the record, DTB did'nt have ANY crew on this US tour. They did everything themselves. I talked to the band in Worcester about it and they said they were going back to basic's by driving and setting up their own gear. SX's crew were the people throwing the paper airplanes and doing all the pranks to the DTB. I'm sure it was all in good fun. The SX crew was helping DTB through out the tour I guess but DTB NEVER had a crew all tour long. Get your shit straight before you yap off.
Oh, excuse me for the mistake. But when some guys from the side of the stage start helping with DTB's equipment I assume they are part of their crew. So sorry that I wasn't aware that these guys "technically" didn't work for DTB. How could I possibly make such a mistake? Oh, please forgive me your greatness!