Installing Bridge Pickup Question

jauernis

Feb 11, 2007
Frisco, CA
www.myspace.com
I am swapping passive for passive pu (Symour duncan custom for emg-hz) on my jackson slsmg and was wondering if it was necessary to change the pots as well? Was just going to solder to the old pots

As far as I know it is standard for virtually ever guitar maker to use 500K in passive pickup equipmed guitars, and with EMG's or Blackouts, they supply you with 250K pots that you have to use. So use the old pots, not need to get new ones. And as sprack said, 500 will give you a little more edge and volume.

Wait.. are you saying that you are replacing a Duncan Custom with an EMG HZ? :OMG:

Question guys I installed the Seymour Duncan Custom last night (following the same wiring as the EMG hz - hopefully that was correct) but I am getting a loud hum. I am getting signal from the PU but that hum is annoying so was just wondering if anyone can help me with is the wiring the same on EMG and Seymour Ducans (passives)? If not can someone direct me to the schematic of the EMG HZ 3 which was in my Jackson before

i had that exact guitar and replaced the hz3 for a duncan sh-6
IIRC on the HZ it was red to the volume pot, white to the selector, bare grounded, the other two wires were connected together from the factory

i think the problem is more the wiring of the duncan itself, you have to connect the right ends together to have it work as a humbucker
did you try this? http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=2h_1v_1t_3w

no sorry i sold it, and before that i also replaced the sh6 again with a blackout
somehow i didn't like that guitar too much
but i remember having trouble changing the pickups as well, it took some experimenting, if you have no idea what you're doing just try all the combinations, worked for me haha