Instrumental Tech Metal from Spain!

Morgan C

MAX LOUD PRESETS¯\(°_o)/¯
Apr 23, 2008
Sydney, Australia
www.myspace.com
Been working on this one for a while now, hopefully it's approaching its final stages. There's not much automation in there yet, I still need a fair bit, especially in the interlude. They keep asking for a 'tighter' snare, more like one in an old mix of mine (used the Sneap sample there).. but to my ears the snare in this song is tighter and punchier than the one in my old mix. Ideas?

Updated, final mix:

Last edited by a moderator:
Good tones on everything. Info on the instruments?

Only complaint is that the mix is a bit fatiguing.

Good tones on everything. Info on the instruments?

Only complaint is that the mix is a bit fatiguing.

Thanks. Why do you think it's fatiguing? Guitars too bright?

I don't have the session open atm but from what I can remember.

Guitars were TSE808 -> Lecto (I think red vintage?) -> MixSaturator (a lot) -> Impulse (either spreshigh or a framus one).
Bass was a fuckton of things. Studio Devil VBA and Juicy77 were in there I think.
Drums have a mix of samples on the snare and toms. Kick I tried what St Amand did.. a single subkick sample for the lowend and a multisample for the highend. The subkick is constant velocity while the highend varies a fair bit. The OHs are a mix of Slate and Monzter Drums (MIDI run through both then aligned, not mixing and matching) .. the hihats and ride still sound a little fake.

I'm diggin' the mix alot!!

I agree with you, leave the snare as it is.

Thanks, I'm still not totally happy with the snare (or the mix as a whole, always things to improve), but I'm just confused as to what direction they're coming from. Maybe their definition of 'tight' isn't the same as mine..

Spanish tech metal band?? Could you name it? ;)
Sounds very nice to my ears, I think snare is a tad too loud for the mix, or the guitars are too quiet, but sounds really good!

http://www.myspace.com/deathvolta is their MySpace.

I'll have another listen to the snare/guitar relation. I'm gonna go compare it to a bunch of references now. The mix seems to be going along the lines of Bogren's latest work.

pretty incredible mix, the snare is perfect, for this style of music its amazing. <3 great job hope to hear more.

Thanks for everyone's comments - not harsh enough!

I had another listen and referenced it and I can see how it's harsh, the guitars are a little too bright. It also feels quite empty in the centre, I need some more lowmids or lows from the bass to fatten it up there. And the toms volume sometimes seems soft and sometimes perfect.. lots of automation to be done. I'll post a new mix up in a day or two.

morgan ! dont try to overcompensate the lack of information in the stereo, i guess your still waiting for a vocal track, right?
i can only repeat myself, never mix a song without the lead intstrument ;-)=
i think the overall thing sounds pretty good, a little too dry for my taste maybe. id give the drums more room to make them a little less sterile.
i like the guitars !
well if your really thinking the center lacks, id go for a more agressive bass sound. 90% of the mixes over here lack exactly this,
a great bass sound that fill the hole between wide stereo guitars. maybe try that.
lets hear the mix with vocals and it will kill! ;-)

morgan ! dont try to overcompensate the lack of information in the stereo, i guess your still waiting for a vocal track, right?
i can only repeat myself, never mix a song without the lead intstrument ;-)=
i think the overall thing sounds pretty good, a little too dry for my taste maybe. id give the drums more room to make them a little less sterile.
i like the guitars !
well if your really thinking the center lacks, id go for a more agressive bass sound. 90% of the mixes over here lack exactly this,
a great bass sound that fill the hole between wide stereo guitars. maybe try that.
lets hear the mix with vocals and it will kill! ;-)

No, it's an instrumental band, so there'll be no vocals in any of the songs. I tried adding a bunch of synths to fill the gap where the vocals would have been but they didn't like most of them (you can hear the ones that are still there, only in the clean bits).
I've fixed up the mix a bit, especially the clean bits, and added some more bass. I'll edit this post when it's uploaded.

Also, I made a mistake with the guitars above, it was actually:
TSE808 -> PSPMixSaturator (before, I'm not sure why but it sounded better) -> Lecto [Vintage, Orange] -> FRMS 4x12 V30 57 01 impulse (I'm preferring this to spreshigh/ASEM atm, it's got a tiny bit of fizz but the highmids are more pleasant).

edit: Damn, just listening on a different system now and those synths are way too loud ><

No, it's an instrumental band, so there'll be no vocals in any of the songs. I tried adding a bunch of synths to fill the gap where the vocals would have been but they didn't like most of them (you can hear the ones that are still there, only in the clean bits).
I've fixed up the mix a bit, especially the clean bits, and added some more bass. I'll edit this post when it's uploaded.

Also, I made a mistake with the guitars above, it was actually:
TSE808 -> PSPMixSaturator (before, I'm not sure why but it sounded better) -> Lecto [Vintage, Orange] -> FRMS 4x12 V30 57 01 impulse (I'm preferring this to spreshigh/ASEM atm, it's got a tiny bit of fizz but the highmids are more pleasant).

edit: Damn, just listening on a different system now and those synths are way too loud ><

haha, then tell the band everyone tells you their music is boring and it NEEDS synths. tell them you showed the song with and without synths and almost everyone went : keep the synths! :)

seriously, this music does not work without a lead instrument... even if cla mixed this, this music would not get any more interesting or better.

id keep what you have, if the bands happy. how many times have i mixed a song that did not come alive. then i realized it was the song / themusic that was just a bunch of chords thrown together, not my mix...

haha, then tell the band everyone tells you their music is boring and it NEEDS synths. tell them you showed the song with and without synths and almost everyone went : keep the synths! :)

seriously, this music does not work without a lead instrument... even if cla mixed this, this music would not get any more interesting or better.

id keep what you have, if the bands happy. how many times have i mixed a song that did not come alive. then i realized it was the song / themusic that was just a bunch of chords thrown together, not my mix...

Haha, I've linked the band to this thread already ;p

Here's an old mix with all the synths in, just so you can compare. I'm great at programming synths, and their not mixed well, but I think they fit fairly well.

Otherwise perhaps another solo could work, or voiceovers (Ashes of the Wake style, song not album). Will have to be careful with overdoing it across the entire album though.. don't want 2 solos + voiceovers in every single song. It's up to the band in the end though, they have to be happy with the final product.