interesting comment

ShroudOfDusk said:
Bow to Priest or perish.

Early Priest > Opeth.

Here's how I rate the ones I've got...

Sad Wings of Destiny - awesome awesome classic...so many great songs.
Sin After Sin - awesome, has some amazing tunes.
Stained Class - awesome awesome FUCKING AWESOME!! Best JP album by far. Such a classic album.
Hell Bent For Leather - below average, merely ok.
British Steel - has some moments but mostly pretty gay and crappy.
Painkiller - Holy shit BOOM! Kicks ass! Drags on a little though and lacks the nuance of the first three albums. Still, rather amazing.

In my opinion, the first three Judas Priest albums are probably the best metal albums ever made. Hell Bent For Leather isn't nearly as good as the first three in my opinion and they started going downhill, until they popped up again with Painkiller.

Moonlapse said:
Metal has come a long way from the cock-rock and glam of the 70s and 80s

As far as I'm concerned there is very little cock-rock or glam in the first three albums of Judas Priest, and they are often misunderstood. However, Hell Bent For Leather is where the cock-rocking really started and thus, from that point on I'd say such criticisms would have a foundation.

ethereallights said:
Judas Priest is generic rock and roll.

You seem to critically lack the ability to put things in historical perspective. And I'm SORRY BUDDY, but you have to do that to fully appreciate music. Judas Priest...generic? Hah, they were trail-blazers, you ignoramus. (At least in the 70s, I'm not such a fan of 80s Priest)

Think of it this way...some people call Opeth 'generic' now. Why do they do that? Because lots of bands have caught onto Opeth's style and now what they once did as an innovative thing is something that is regurgitated constantly by others, making it commonplace. There is no denying that Opeth were trail-blazers, that they came upon something new, and to put down their efforts now just because lots of others have caught onto it since shows a lack of critical skills.

Gunhaver said:
priest is really bad. so is maiden. the real argument is who sucks more. or "who sucks least" for those who actually try to put a positive spin on these two shit bands
You realy sound like the sort of person who hasnt heard either bands, and is commenting for the sake of it.

Static said:
You seem to critically lack the ability to put things in historical perspective. And I'm SORRY BUDDY, but you have to do that to fully appreciate music. Judas Priest...generic? Hah, they were trail-blazers, you ignoramus. (At least in the 70s, I'm not such a fan of 80s Priest)

Think of it this way...some people call Opeth 'generic' now. Why do they do that? Because lots of bands have caught onto Opeth's style and now what they once did as an innovative thing is something that is regurgitated constantly by others, making it commonplace. There is no denying that Opeth were trail-blazers, that they came upon something new, and to put down their efforts now just because lots of others have caught onto it since shows a lack of critical skills.

Judas Priest might be trail-blazers in your world, but they weren't in mine. To me they are a boring, over acclaimed band. I appreciate music to a degree that's probably higher then what you consider "appreciative". I listen to anything from 17th Century Organ works to modern day post-black metal, and for you to say that I have a "lack of appreciation" obviously shows how ignorant you are on the subject.....

......but this is the internet so I'm laughing.

ethereallights said:
Judas Priest might be trail-blazers in your world, but they weren't in mine.

I wasn't talking about my world, I was talking about the world of metal and music in general.

To me they are a boring, over acclaimed band. I appreciate music to a degree that's probably higher then what you consider "appreciative".

That's pretty impressive.

I listen to anything from 17th Century Organ works to modern day post-black metal, and for you to say that I have a "lack of appreciation" obviously shows how ignorant you are on the subject.....

......but this is the internet so I'm laughing.

I was merely saying that you lack the ability to put things in historical perspective, I wasn't commenting on your aesthetic viewpoint or your opinion on the worth of music as an art-form. Your ignorance came solely from the word 'generic', because, and this is fact, they were NOT generic (I'm talking for the time they were around, you could easily call them generic in this day and age, but that's what I mean...it's ignorant). How can a band that is perfecting a style that has only been around a few years and is quite underground at the time be 'generic'?

Listen, it is perfectly ok to say that Judas Priest suck goats-balls, are a bunch of cum-guzzling fags that can't play for shit and sound like a grandma being raped, because that is your opinion. I draw the line though, at you stating something that is simply *wrong* objectively.

Static said:
I was merely saying that you lack the ability to put things in historical perspective, I wasn't commenting on your aesthetic viewpoint or your opinion on the worth of music as an art-form. Your ignorance came solely from the word 'generic', because, and this is fact, they were NOT generic (I'm talking for the time they were around, you could easily call them generic in this day and age, but that's what I mean...it's ignorant). How can a band that is perfecting a style that has only been around a few years and is quite underground at the time be 'generic'?

Listen, it is perfectly ok to say that Judas Priest suck goats-balls, are a bunch of cum-guzzling fags that can't play for shit and sound like a grandma being raped, because that is your opinion. I draw the line though, at you stating something that is simply *wrong* objectively.

They may have been unique or original at the time, but to me they're not much to me. So don't argue or tell me how I feel about music....

Arguing on the internet is like competing at the special olympics, even if you win you're still retarted......

ethereallights said:
They may have been unique or original at the time, but to me they're not much to me. So don't argue or tell me how I feel about music....

Arguing on the internet is like competing at the special olympics, even if you win you're still retarted......

I wasn't trying to tell you how you feel about music, you just misunderstood me. Like I care about what you like or don't like, it's not my business.

Meh, I like discussing, and who's trying to win?