Old black/death albums that are must haves?

Asphyx - The Rack (Absolute must have for all Death metal fans)
Benediction - Transcend the Rubicon
Gorguts - The Erosion of Sanity
Morbid Angel - Blessed Are The Sick

nobody's fucking mentioned Possessed's Seven Churches? :mad:

edit: also, Master's self titled and On The Seventh Day God Created Master should be considered essential

nobody's fucking mentioned Possessed's Seven Churches? :mad:

edit: also, Master's self titled and On The Seventh Day God Created Master should be considered essential

I always forget about Seven Churches and hold it and altars of madness very high in terms of US death metal albums. I honestly don't like Master and think they suck.

Death - Scream Bloody Gore and Leprosy
MA - Blessed Are The Sick

The guy asked for classics yet a lot of you are posting stuff only ten people have ever heard. How is that a classic? I mean, who the fuck are Asphyx? Are you telling me they released an album that's recognised as a classic? I don't fuckin' think so.

It's not a list of favourite albums he wants, we'll be here all year if is. It's classics he's after! Classics!
Like Leprosy and Blessed Are The Sick.

And Akercocke's Choronzon and WTGUDTGU hehehehehe

krisiun SUCKS

Asphyx is a holland death metal band who released their first death metal album on major US label and are one of the most early death metal bands outside of the US.

How is the band not 'classic'. Anyone into death metal would regard asphyx as an influencial and classic death metal band. 'the rack' is an album that basically represents death metal in the early 90's. Out of all early death metal bands you know how many never did get decent label attention especially over seas in a scene dominated by the US.

The Rack is also better than old 'Death'. end.

There are plently of terribly overrated early 90's US death metal albums also that received shitloads of attention for who knows why.

Death - Scream Bloody Gore and Leprosy
MA - Blessed Are The Sick

The guy asked for classics yet a lot of you are posting stuff only ten people have ever heard. How is that a classic? I mean, who the fuck are Asphyx? Are you telling me they released an album that's recognised as a classic? I don't fuckin' think so.

It's not a list of favourite albums he wants, we'll be here all year if is. It's classics he's after! Classics!
Like Leprosy and Blessed Are The Sick.

Morbid Angel, Obituary, Deicide and Death are not the be all-end all of DM. They are just the most well-known ones. All the albums mentioned in this thread are considered classics in the undeground.You may want to explore some early European death metal before making such ignorant posts.

I do not hear anything special in Master either. Too rudimentary for my taste

fine, would you rather have death metal with jazz chords and technical blasting and orchestras? being basic sounding doesn't necessarily mean its bad.

fine, would you rather have death metal with jazz chords and technical blasting and orchestras? being basic sounding doesn't necessarily mean its bad.

No, not really.I've nominated Asphyx-they are simple crushing doom/death. Master's music just doesn't do anything for me.

From early US death/thrash I should have probably mentioned Revenant. I enjoy them even more than the sonically similar Morbid Angel.

Every album that chuck schuldiner was ever involved in. soulside journey by darkthrone. any of Bathorys viking albums, those are damn good

No, not really.I've nominated Asphyx-they are simple crushing doom/death. Master's music just doesn't do anything for me.

From early US death/thrash I should have probably mentioned Revenant. I enjoy them even more than the sonically similar Morbid Angel.

you into Malevolent Creation at all?

Morbid Angel, Obituary, Deicide and Death are not the be all-end all of DM. They are just the most well-known ones. All the albums mentioned in this thread are considered classics in the undeground.You may want to explore some early European death metal before making such ignorant posts.

Obituary,Deicide, and Cannibal Corpse are very overrated. Majority of older euro death metal albums are ten times better and these bands got all the attention over them. Six Feet Under for example is one of the most popular death metal bands for example and it does not make any sense.

Obituary,Deicide, and Cannibal Corpse are very overrated. Majority of older euro death metal albums are ten times better and these bands got all the attention over them. Six Feet Under for example is one of the most popular death metal bands for example and it does not make any sense.
Absolutely. I think my general distaste for Obituary,Master Deicide and most other rudimentary death metal also stems from the fact, that I discovered these bands so late into my exploration of the genre, so by the time I got to hear them, there were a dozen or more that I've found to be a great deal more intriguing.I can sort of understand how those acts attained classic status, but they simply don't appeal to me on any level.

Black Metal:

Darkthrone - A Blaze In The Northern Sky
Darkthrone - Under A Funeral Moon
Bathory - s/t
Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Satanas
Immortal - Pure Holocaust
Immortal - Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism
Beherit - The Oath Of Black Blood
Beherit - Drawing Down The Moon
Blasphemy - Fallen Angel Of Doom
Abruptum - Evil Genius
Carpathian Forest - Defending The Throne Of Evil
Marduk - Those Of The Unlight
Krieg - The Black House
Xasthur/Leviathan split
Burzum - Burzum/Aske]
Emperor - In The Nightside Eclipse
Emperor - Anthems To The Welkin At Dusk
Enslaved - Vikinglir Veldi
Vlad Tepes - Satanic Funeral March
Maniac Butcher - Barbarians
Dissection - The Somberlain

Well, big fucking deal. So 20 or 30 people in the entire universe (or "the Underground" as you term it) think Asphyx are the best thing since Accept released "I'm A Rebel". That doesn't make them classic.

MA, Obituary, Deicide and Death are the best known yes, but they are also considered classic bands by the majority of death metal fans. The original poster was asking for classic album recommendations - naming some band only you and your uncle's budgie ever heard of isn't much help.

And when I want to stop making ignorant posts I'll stop coming in here. :loco: This place is my outlet for ignorance and stupidity. I love it when people like you bite.