Old black/death albums that are must haves?

death metal:

Entombed - Clandestine
Entombed - Left Hand Path
Grave - Into The Grave
Dismember - Like An Everflowing Stream
Morbid Angel - Altars Of Madness
Morbid Angel - Blessed Are The Sick
Incantation - Onward To Golgotha
Incantation - Diabolical Conquest
Autopsy - Severed Survival
Autopsy - Mental Funeral (I also consider this album doom/death)
Death - Scream Bloody Gore
Death - Leprosy
Carcass - Symphonies Of Sickness (death metal or grindcore? you decide...)
Repulsion - Horrified (see above)

Cadaver-...In Pains
Atheist-Unquestionable Presence
Eucharist-A Velvet Creation
Therion-Beyond Sanctorum
Sentenced_North from Here
Unleaashed-Shadows in the Deep
Asphyx-The Rack
Necrophobic-The Nocturnal Silence

Black metal:
Varathron-His Majesty at the Swamp
Ved Buens Ende-Written in Waters

True.
I swear I saw the book which shares the same name as the band in my house a few years ago
Might dig it up...

I hear it is a great book, really fucked. I hear most of the authour's writings tend to be fucked up. I'll probobly be reading it soon.

Anyways, Dismember-Like An Ever Flowing Stream. I just got into this, and man it is awesome, a classic and definitely essential.

Eh...the later Norwegian bands really verge on the cusp of essential...mostly retreading trodden ground. I tried to stick more with the bands that contributed with the evolution of the genre and who didn't necessarily take direct influences and build upon it.

This is probably true. Though i'd list Ved Buens Ende - Written in Waters as being characteristic and superior to the later experimentations in atonal black metal.

For death metal, God Macabre should be listed above Dismember as the best example of the early Stockholm style.

no one has mentioned enslaved?

eld, frost, and vikinglirg veldi should be on the list. i'd also throw below the lights in there as an album that will be a classic
~gR~

I don't know if this has been named yet so many great albums have been already.I would suggest:

Dark Angel - Darkness Descends

as a must have