Interface latency sync with DAW?

mirflee

SSL Studios
Feb 19, 2007
Is there a tutorial on this or does anyone know of an accurate way to do it?

I'm currently using Studio One 3 as my DAW with my Scarlett interface and I'm beginning to find the latency (my drivers are set to the lowest 2-3ms), annoying when it comes to the editing stage.

Thanks for reading!

Are we talking a) latency from when you recorded so the tracks don't line up, b) latency being caused by the plugins when you start mixing so the tracks are out of time, or c) latency between things you change during playback and actually hearing the change?

a) Most DAWs have some sort of automatic compensation for your recording latency. Sometimes interfaces don't report it correctly, so it could be that, or that feature might have gotten disabled in your DAW. If your tracks are always off by the same number of samples, some DAWs will let you put in a manual offset, or you could find a basic sample delay plugin and throw it on each track that needs it.

b) Some DAWs will automatically figure out how much latency the plugins on each track are creating, and then adjust their playback accordingly so it ends up in time. Other DAWs - this is one of the big complaints about Pro Tools, from what I hear - won't, so you would have to manually do it with a sample delay plugin.

c) Depending on the effects you're using, this can be unavoidable. For instance, if you've got an aux set up with some reverse reverb on your vocals, you'll get some playback latency because the DAW has to start processing things it hasn't gotten to yet.

latency during playback is typically caused by CPU and RAM being used up. (For example: too many plugins)

Or is the latency during tracking? If it's during tracking, your DAW or interface preferences should have latency settings you can adjust.

I used to experience latency moreso when I was running my old USB interface, but that went away with Firewire.

I think you're going to need to define what your issue is a bit better. Certainly the 3ms from your interface is not the issue. In practical terms the time it takes for the sound to travel from your monitors to your ears is greater than that (sound travels roughly 1 foot per 1ms).

Apologies for not being clear enough with my issues.

It's that each time I track guitars/bass/vocals, monitored through plugins (Amplitube ect), it's always off by a few ms even at the lowest buffer setting, I tried to track a simple riff experiment with it myself to see if it could just be a performance/take issue but now matter how tight I play, it's off. Is it just me or am I missing something here?

Studio One's delay compensation is on at all times. I'm thinking it could be what Jormyn mentioned above about setting a manual offset. How can I do that accurately in this case?

Thanks

Does the issue persist if you have all plugins (Amplitube) off? (just recording/monitoring raw DI guitar)

That would mean I'd be monitoring direct 'clean' through to the interface. Tried it and it seemed to be way better but I'm not a huge fan of tracking 'dry'.

If that's the case then you might be out of luck. Do you have anything you could use to split the signal so you can monitor through a real amp while recording the DI?

If that's the case then you might be out of luck. Do you have anything you could use to split the signal so you can monitor through a real amp while recording the DI?

I use the Radial ProDI to accomplish this, and recommend this as a potential solution for the OP. http://www.radialeng.com/prodi.php

Splits the signal so you can record the DI direct into your DAW, while monitoring through a real amp. This is also a great tool to have if you want to track DI's at the same time while mic'ing a real amp/cab if you want.

app-image-1.jpg

I would suggest that while tracking to use only the necessary plugin, in this case it would be Amplitube. Aside from that, I'd bypass all other plugins except for maybe a rough mastering chain on your 2-bus.

I'd also second the DI box recommendation. That would solve all latency issues by giving you a physical amp to reference rather than bogging down your DAW.