Interface that doesn't clip

Vin71

New Metal Member
Oct 7, 2012
Do these even exist? I have been researching for a while, and every interface seems to have a problem with clipping from really hot pickups. I have a super distortion and EVO high output passive pickups and I've been looking for an interface in the 200 to 300$ range that won't clip, it seems one doesn't exist?

The options I've found from reading around these forums (these forums are amazing) are to build my own pad to lower the signal from clipping (might color the signal?) or buy a DI box like the countryman and an interface (will most likely improve the signal), or buy one of the more expensive interfaces...

So is my best option to get a cheap interface with good preamps like saffire 6, and the countryman DI box? I could probably find them used for around my pricerange.

or do you guys know of an interface in this pricerange, that won't clip the signal...

I can't believe how many people just suggest a saffire pro 6, it's praised so much over at UG, yet even on on amazon there's a big review talking about how its clipping. People must be lowering their volume, or using the line in or something and not noticing the difference... But I read it's fine for single pikups and just enough for actives...

The one otherthing that has been bothering me is latency, I guess it depends on software and interface, but I definitely want one where I can get almost realtime results like I get through an amp something like 12ms total, 5ms in, 5ms out, then add some for software plgins etc

Interfaces I personally owned that didn't clip:

Avid Mbox3(using the pad)
Roland Quad-capture
Edirol UA-25EX

Interfaces that clipped:

Presonus Audiobox
Focusrite scarlett 8i6

The Saffire shouldn't clip; make your guitar's pickups are set at the proper height. It also has a Pad for high output devices, though. the Scarlett, now that's a different story... With a good DI, it really shouldn't matter, either way.

Mackie Onyx Blackjack is fine for DI's I find.
The Focusrite Saffire 14 I had was awful for clipping though, how the fuck they can market that as useable for guitar DI's is beyond me.

I have an M-audio profire that is fine. It has a 20dB pad and I never have to use it for DI's. I use a DI box nowadays anyway. You can get a decent one for $100. Anything Radial. If you wanna spend more, countryman or Little Labs Redeye.

I have an M-audio profire that is fine. It has a 20dB pad and I never have to use it for DI's. I use a DI box nowadays anyway. You can get a decent one for $100.

+1, same here. I got my Countryman used for like $110 shipped in awesome condition.

Also: Try a pad? If you don't have one on whatever you use to record, try an in-line pad? Either way I recommend getting a true DI box like the Countryman, if not to help the clipping, it'll at least benefit the tone anyway.

What about the idea of making a home made "pad adaptor" that you can put before your instrument input? Do you think it is possible to make one that doesn't affect the sound? Buying a DI box is a bit of a waste of money if you already have quality instrument input which only problem is cliping.

I'm having problems with my pro 24. Using inst input with the gain at zero my passive guitars still clip. I have a DI box and when I plug into the -18db input and send that right into the inst input its much better, just a bit noisier though.

The inst input on that thing is ridiculous. Also if i'm doing something wrong please let me know because using just line in gives weak sounding results.

I'm having problems with my pro 24. Using inst input with the gain at zero my passive guitars still clip. I have a DI box and when I plug into the -18db input and send that right into the inst input its much better, just a bit noisier though.

The inst input on that thing is ridiculous. Also if i'm doing something wrong please let me know because using just line in gives weak sounding results.

I think focusrite just doesn't have enough input impedance on their so called "inst" inputs. I had a saffire 6 and a scarlett 2i2 and they both clipped like crazy even with the gain at zero.