"International cinema" recommendations

narcossintese

Nov 4, 2008
Brazil
www.myspace.com
Decided to make this thread because of the Modern Warfare 2 thread´s last posts. There are many great non-english movies that unfortunatelly aren´t that famous outside it´s own country, so I ask you some help to share good movie recommendations. And I mean good movies, not "artsy Gay Cowboys Eating Pudding".

My 3 favourites in portuguese are pretty big ones.
1: Elite Squad (Tropa de Elite).
By far my favourite movie from Brazil. Based on a true story. It´s about the BOPE (Rio de Janeiro's special ops, kind of like a really baddass SWAT). This movie is awesome and anyone with balls will enjoy it. Great acting, strong points of view, good laughs (from situations, not jokes) and very reallistic and violent action sequences on the "favelas". I can´t recommend it enough. The trailler makes it looks like a police action flick, but in fact it has much more to do with Full Metal Jacket.

2: Drained (O Cheiro do Ralo).
Very funny and odd movie. Pretty unique. It´s about a nihilistic pawn shop owner that treats people as products. The guy also falls in love with a butt. Not the whole girl, just the butt.

3: City Of God (Cidade de Deus).
A great movie about favela criminals. Reminds me a bit of Once Upon A Time In America but on a totally different setting. Great storytelling and direction.

Last edited by a moderator:

This one goes without saying.

"Der Baader Meinhof Komplex" - German film...awesome!

"Kontroll" - Hungarian I believe?

-Joe

Also:

"Die fetten Jahre sind vorbei"

and for the English speaking crowd...

"The Edukators" Haha. Pretty funny and witty German film.

-Joe

I love director Juzo Itami's movies Tampopo and Minbo no Onna, but I'll be the first to admit that 9 out of 10 non-Japanese people would probably find them incredibly boring. I know most of my friends do. :erk:

"Bienvenue chez les Ch'tis"

If you like french comedies, this is possibly the funniest movie I've ever seen. Saw it on a plane trip. I laughed so hard, it actually started to trigger my asthma (which rarely bothers me).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZpkYcIYlDc

Le dîner de cons is really funny too. I'm not a big fan of French French movies, but this one cracked me up a lot, I'm sure a lot of you'd like it.

"Each week, Pierre and his friends organize what is called as "un dîner de cons". Everyone brings the dumbest guy he could find as a guest. Pierre thinks his champ -François Pignon- will steal the show."

:D

Uzumaki

Das Experiment - based on true events which makes it pretty disturbing - just saw that xGabrielx already covered it

REC - there`s also a Hollywood version but as usual the original is superior