Internet Acronyms

No one mentioned

o_rly.jpg

Meaning of course, "oh really?"

When someone is purposely writing like a retard? Absolutely not. If you want me to read what you have to say then you damn well better put effort into putting that message forth. If you're going to write like a moron by using "words" like u, ur, 2, 4 or an abundance of the above mentioned acronyms just because you cannot be bothered to write the extra few letters then guess what, I can't be bothered to give a damn about what you have to say.

Retarded internet speak is almost an insult really. It's basically the other person saying "Hey my time is too important to take the extra few milliseconds to write the other 2 letters but I don't care about your time so instead you get to spend it deciphering what the fuck I'm trying to say".

Fuck. That. Anyone who wants their opinion taken seriously should make the effort to write with atleast vaguely decent grammar/spelling (to the best of their ability atleast). There's some middle ground between writing like you're in English class and purposely writing like a retard for the hell of it.

And yes, I probably am borderline insane for caring anywhere near this much about the issue but it just bugs the fuck out of me that laziness and stupidity has become some kind of virtue (or at the very least something socially accepted) on the internet.

Like I said, the ocasional usage of things like this in joking/ironic ways is fine. But people who actually routinely use this to actually communicate should just diaf.
wutevr f4g

(I agree)

better than pirates.

how about w00t? apparently its the word that best sums up the year 2007. It means 'we owned other team', but is generally an expression of happiness.

When someone is purposely writing like a retard? Absolutely not. If you want me to read what you have to say then you damn well better put effort into putting that message forth. If you're going to write like a moron by using "words" like u, ur, 2, 4 or an abundance of the above mentioned acronyms just because you cannot be bothered to write the extra few letters then guess what, I can't be bothered to give a damn about what you have to say.
IMO you are wrong here, why are you a moron if you rationalise your way of writing? It is more moronic to write alot of text just to make it "look right" within the norm when it is in reality accually totally useless and everybody understands you anyway. People should read the meaning of the text not all the fancy words put into it (if it is a argument ofcourse, this does not apply to a poem for example). Taking people who spew out tons of text just for the heck of it is not better then someone writing with alot of acronyms.

Because I'm not used to typing acronyms so I type faster with normal words, people who use it alot are the other way around.

If you're in it, you oughta know your way around, so I don't complain, even if over-acryonym usage makes the text tougher to read quickly. You get used to it when you see it everywhere anyway.

IMO you are wrong here, why are you a moron if you rationalise your way of writing? It is more moronic to write alot of text just to make it "look right" within the norm when it is in reality accually totally useless and everybody understands you anyway. People should read the meaning of the text not all the fancy words put into it (if it is a argument ofcourse, this does not apply to a poem for example). Taking people who spew out tons of text just for the heck of it is not better then someone writing with alot of acronyms.

IYO.

IMO people who purposely type like that deserve to have their hands smashed with a sack of doorknobs.

Seriously, writing words the way they are actually meant to be spelled is not that much damn effort. Children these days are already growing up half retarded and are barely expected to actually know anything so there's really no need to encourage them that it is now also okay to throw any kind of language standards out the window and just write with the bare minimum effort and as little regard to grammar and spelling rules as possible.

Are we going to do this with verbal language too? Some words have many syllables and take time to pronounce properly, let's instead just blurt out random sounds that kind of sound like it and people will probably know what we mean. Better yet, why even use words at all. Let's just flail our arms wildly in the air and point at things as if we're asking someone in Japan for directions.

Language is not dirty. Knowing grammar and spelling and actually using it doesn't make you a nerd or a loser and it does not cost much extra time or effort (and more importantly, you don't waste someone else's time by making it harder for them to decipher what you are trying to say). And acting as if it is some kind of meaningless social construct that is cool to rebel against as much as possible is completely retarded.

Yes, language is a dynamic concept that changes over time, but that doesn't include needlessly dumbing it down out of sheer laziness. People like Eric Idle, Stephen Fry and Rich Hall are some examples of modern day molders of the English language, people who use their creative talents to play with it and sometimes even trigger changes like inventing new words. Let's not put someone who has figured out that the number 2 can be used to replace the word "to" in order to save a completely insignificant amount of time on the same level.