Interview with Mikael and 2 Live songs from BBC

BurningSky said:
I don't really think that it's him dropping the tempo. As far back as i can remember live songs have been played slightly slower. I don't think its fair to blame it on axe.. i mean the guy is a professional death metal drummer, im sure hes completely capable of ripping through when.
Well, he IS the drummer. I don't know if Mike has told him to play slower or if Axe just does it on his own - but I do know that Lopez pushed the tempo in exactly the right spots live, and it made all the difference.

affinityband said:
Yea when does sound amazing, i was a bit dissapointed with the TGC, i guess that one only sounds amazing Live,when your actually there.
Yeah, TGC is purely a live song.

When is SLOW though. Wow. SLOOOOW.

Sanzen said:
Well, he IS the drummer. I don't know if Mike has told him to play slower or if Axe just does it on his own - but I do know that Lopez pushed the tempo in exactly the right spots live, and it made all the difference.

It's just i remember seeing them play godhead's lament a few years back and they slowed it down. I remember noticing other songs had been slowed down too. I mean, its entirely possible that they slowed it down because of Axe, but I just think its unfair to jump to the conclusion that it must be his fault. I'm sure we can at least agree that mendez' bass is super hot in the song! hah

i know what u mean. keyboardist myself. not many bands see us useful at all, but they add such depth to the sound and u can do wicked shit like that. no rolling around on floor, tho, at least not much that i could figure out.

Keyboardists are awesome! I got one in my band, and adds so much atmosphere and melody. It's amazing. A very underrated, and often overlooked part of any band.

thanks a bunch for the links. I'll agree with most of you that When seems very slow but it still gave me goosebumps. Sadly, the grand conjuration did very little for me, maybe if they play it live at the show in Chicago I will look at it differently or maybe in a whole new light, I mean I will admit there are a few little moments of the grand conjuration that ok, but still...

chomps said:
Keyboardists are awesome! I got one in my band, and adds so much atmosphere and melody. It's amazing. A very underrated, and often overlooked part of any band.

thank u. my bf has a DM band and is trying to talk his buddies into adding a keyboard (me) but they wont hear of it. u dont need one on every song, all the time, but keyboards do so much as far as atmoshpere and depth goes. a little goes a long way.