Intonation Issue

abaga129

The Apprentice
Sorry if this has been brought up before but it's a problem i've had for a very long time and i could not find a solution anywhere on the web.

For some reason, i can never get the top string on my guitars intonated. Whether its my shecter, jackson, or ltd, it wont get where i need it.

The top string is always sharp and even if i bring the saddle as far back as possible, its still about 10 cents sharp.
Right now im messing with my ltd which has a floyd rose. If anyone knows a solution, it would be much appreciatted.

Im worried its that the top string is to heavy of a gauge for this. Im using the not even slinkys and im tuned to drop C

The neck relief could be screwing with your intonation. Is there a pickup in the way or pickup magnet too close causing it magnetically pull the string?
Could be something else, I would try as many things as possible to try find the culprit

not 100% sure, but if it's SHARP shouldn't the saddle go forward and not back?

Unfortunately, you got that wrong bro

If the 12th fret is sharper than the 12th fret harmonic, then move the saddle back (towards the bottom of the guitar)
If the 12th fret is flatter than the 12th fret harmonic, then move the saddle forward (towards the neck/headstock)

Reference: Ibanez Prestige Guitar Manual

hmm, when i set up a guitar moving the saddle back is giving more tension to the string which makes it go sharp in general.
i also use the open string + 12. fret to adjust intonation, as the harmonic can vary drastically depending on how you actually "play" it :)

hmm, when i set up a guitar moving the saddle back is giving more tension to the string which makes it go sharp in general.
i also use the open string + 12. fret to adjust intonation, as the harmonic can vary drastically depending on how you actually "play" it :)

I agree that the tension will increase and therefore results in a sharper note. But that has nothing to do with the measuring. Because you should be re-tuning after each adjustment.

And about the harmonic being inconsistant, I agree it does depend on how you do the harmonic and where you perform it (it should be performed directly above the fretwire). Some people do the harmonic between the 11th and 12th fretwire (wrong way). I don't see the issue with using the open string instead of the 12th fret harmonic, other than it might move/vibrate around more whereas the harmonic is not going to vibrate around as much as the open string IMO could be more consistant than the open if you know how to do a clean harmonic

i always lover the pickups so the magnetic field has less influence on the strings.
that results in a clearer note (it doesn't wobble around as much)

about the saddle...when screwed back, first it makes the string go sharp but then again the resulting larger distance to the 12.fret should make the note go "flatter",
then again it seems to vary from guitar to guitar even it should be constant as it's simple physics :D

i always lover the pickups so the magnetic field has less influence on the strings.
that results in a clearer note (it doesn't wobble around as much)

about the saddle...when screwed back, first it makes the string go sharp but then again the resulting larger distance to the 12.fret should make the note go "flatter",
then again it seems to vary from guitar to guitar even it should be constant as it's simple physics :D

^ this is a good way to explain it and good advice

Depending on what kind of bridge you have, you can take it off and flip it upsidedown. I've done this with my tune-o-matic bridge cause I had the same problem. Gave me that extra millimeter to get the top string intonated perfectly.

Take the floyd guitar to a pro. I've only encountered an issue when tuning to B, and if you've ever seen the Cannibal Corpse DVD from Evisceration Plague, Pat OBrien had to file down the bottom saddle to make enough room to tune that low. Shouldn't really be an issue with drop C though. If it's happening on multiple guitars, it's probably not the guitars. Again, take it to a pro.

It's weird because the top string ( the 0'12, or at least that's where I understood the problem is) has a lot more room for adjustment.

I have problems like that in almost all my guitars with the bottom 0'60 ( I tune to drop B) since it has less room to be moved back. I tried to take off the spring on my prs to get it intonated but I don't think it's a solution, then again that's a 25" scale. My Ibanez with a fixed bridge has the same problem with the bottom string.

You shall visit a guitar tech.
I have a huge problem with the tuning with my 7-string RG1527.
There's a lock/floyd rose on the guitar but i play mainly chords 5/6 even 7 strings together,so it's a pain in the ass on the recording to make it sound correct

It's weird because the top string ( the 0'12, or at least that's where I understood the problem is) has a lot more room for adjustment.

I have problems like that in almost all my guitars with the bottom 0'60 ( I tune to drop B) since it has less room to be moved back. I tried to take off the spring on my prs to get it intonated but I don't think it's a solution, then again that's a 25" scale. My Ibanez with a fixed bridge has the same problem with the bottom string.

well what you call the bottom string is what i call the top string :p haha sorry about that mix up of terminology