Iron Maiden NOT mastering their new album?!

Nitronium Blood said:
I wish Maiden had that 5150 sound.

They might be talented to the nines, but their gain knob on '2' just does not do it for me. :(

I've heard Adrian occasionally uses a 5150. Go figure. o_O

I agree that Bruce's vocals have gotten better. Much less strained nowadays. Listen to Live After Death (which I love as much as anyone) compared to Rock in Rio. Obviously you can manipulate pitch, etc. these days, but his technique has just gotten smoother.

Honestly, the main thing I miss about Martin is his role as an actual producer. Of course the sounds were great as well. But I'm talking about things like having Bruce sing the NotB intro for 3 hours until he heard what he wanted. Coaxing those types of performances out of them. I hear moments on DoD, etc., where I think, "Man, I would have had him re-sing that because I know he can do it so much better."

I was wising that Steve wouldn´t interfer in the mixing /mastering process like he did on Dod, how can he get away with a suggestion like: screw the mastering it sounds much better in it´s raw form, and everyone in the band and Kevin Shirley nodding their heads going yeah you have a point Steve, lets make the sound just as horrible as Dod.
Anyway i´m pretty sure that the new songs are going to kill, and the songwritting credits looks really interesting as well.
My favorite Maiden album from the 80´s is Powerslave and of the newer albums i would say Brave new world

Just listened to "seventh son" today. I haven't heard it in a while and I must say I'm amazed at how natural (yet balanced) the drumkit sounds. You can really hear it as a single instrument which is becoming rare in metal these days. I guess it sounds retro... But great. Dod drums are just sounding like poop.

~BURNY~ said:
Just listened to "seventh son" today. I haven't heard it in a while and I must say I'm amazed at how natural (yet balanced) the drumkit sounds. You can really hear it as a single instrument which is becoming rare in metal these days. I guess it sounds retro... But great. Dod drums are just sounding like poop.

I really, really love that record. It doesn't sound "retro" to me...other than the fact that it ain't very loud. There's something about the mix that gives this album a really cool vibe. Kinda like it is it's own entity instead of a collection of songs from a great band. To me, that's what mixing is really all about. It's not really the sonics, or something "sounding good" or not. When the music takes on a life of it's own, then you as a producer/engineer have just reached the apex of what it is that you do. I personally have only achieved this once - and only a few thousand people ever heard it. I can think of at least two albums right off hand that Andy has done where he's done the same. TGE would be one of them....

OzNimbus said:
As for the new album not being mastered: Well, why not? The loudness wars have taken things to one extreme, why not try the other? It could be really cool over some headphones.

-0z-
...well it still seems unlikely to me that shirley won't at least put a limiter on the master bus or smth, when steve isn't watching :D

mr sneap has some very good points (doh!).. i think bruce is better now (live) than he was in the 'golden era'... in 81-82 he sounded extraordinary - bordering on superhuman :heh: - but then he started losing it.

piece of mind is my fav bruce performance. ssoass is my fav maiden, love almost everything about it, including the production :headbang:

metalkingdom said:
I really, really love that record. It doesn't sound "retro" to me...other than the fact that it ain't very loud. There's something about the mix that gives this album a really cool vibe. Kinda like it is it's own entity instead of a collection of songs from a great band. To me, that's what mixing is really all about. It's not really the sonics, or something "sounding good" or not. When the music takes on a life of it's own, then you as a producer/engineer have just reached the apex of what it is that you do. I personally have only achieved this once - and only a few thousand people ever heard it. I can think of at least two albums right off hand that Andy has done where he's done the same. TGE would be one of them....

maybe cos its a concept album helps it along with that :cool:

prowlergrig said:
...well it still seems unlikely to me that shirley won't at least put a limiter on the master bus or smth, when steve isn't watching :D

If they're on a SSL (which I believe they are), you can bet your bottom leu that it's already there. Steve's probably the one cranking the makeup knob.

p.s. For any of you diehard Maiden fans, it may comfort you to know that a couple of weeks ago I verbally lashed one of the three people who threw the eggs. I know one of the others, too and he'll get his in due time.....

metalkingdom said:
If they're on a SSL (which I believe they are), you can bet your bottom leu that it's already there. Steve's probably the one cranking the makeup knob.

p.s. For any of you diehard Maiden fans, it may comfort you to know that a couple of weeks ago I verbally lashed one of the three people who threw the eggs. I know one of the others, too and he'll get his in due time.....

kick his arse :kickass: