iron maiden or metallica

DarrellDethSDMF said:
I don't like Metallica at all and I don't consider Iron Maiden as a metal band, to me they're just classic hard rock.

Fuck, I'll go with Pantera!!!:headbang:

Pantera is great...but Maiden not metal? Geez, How old are you? Maiden is one of the defining metal groups and anyone in metal today will tell you the same. It's amazing how the younger "metalheads" have lost sight of the history and development of the music...it's too bad. Would you listen to Sabbath with Ozzy and say that's not metal? The skills and equipment and recording technologies have advanced, but metal is in feel and attitude, not just volume and power. Bands and recordings from 20, even 30 years ago couldn't possibly have the same sound as what you've come to know as heavy, but that doesn't make them any less metal!

Metallica can't come close to Maiden and I'll bet all Hetfield would tell you the same. And as for Pantera, Dimebag was one of the most humble guitarists...always paying homage to those who came before him and paved his way.

DumbAss said:
Yes it does matter!
When you cut your hair, all of your extreme metal-ness is able to escape through the severed follicles. The extreme metal-ness is then released into the atmosphere where it is captured by larger than life sized satellites that orbit the earth and is redirected directly into the skull of Devin Townsend. In 1995, Devin’s Extreme Metal-ness reached maximum capacity, at which point it became necessary to surface, in the form of Strapping Young Lad.
Today, Devin has harnessed the power of a Million lost metal souls, and his Extreme Metal-ness has mutated and strategically relived him of the very follicles that gave him his super power, therefore ensuring that it will never be released.
I hope you learned something today.

Wow, that's like metal scientology...is that similar to what happened to Tom Cruise?

I haven't enjoyed an album from either group since the 80's. I still go see Maiden and Metallica when I get the chance. Iron Maiden was my favorite band before Metallica was, but today I can't say I prefer one over the other.

Bleearg said:
I haven't enjoyed an album from either group since the 80's. I still go see Maiden and Metallica when I get the chance. Iron Maiden was my favorite band before Metallica was, but today I can't say I prefer one over the other.

I agree with enjoying their 80's catalogs much better. To me, the only Metallica that matters is Kill Em All, Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets...but those don't stand up to Number of the Beast, Piece of Mind and Powerslave...arguably the 3 best works from both groups.

They're really two different eras...NWOBHM vs. American Thrash...it's just a matter of opinion. They're very different. Metallica vs. Testament, Exodus, Slayer, Anthrax, even Pantera...that type of comparison makes more sense.

Yeah, I think we need more pointless threads comparing bands that have nothing to do with each other:Smug: Seriously, what does Metallica have to do with Maiden or vice versa? Their styles of music aren't even comparable.

MyHatred said:
Yeah, I think we need more pointless threads comparing bands that have nothing to do with each other:Smug: Seriously, what does Metallica have to do with Maiden or vice versa? Their styles of music aren't even comparable.

Yeah...we all like to boast our favorite bands, but in the end, you like what you like. These two bands are worlds apart...it's not a fair comparison.

Metallica's stuff from Justice and backwards kicks butt - Maiden are incredible as well. For me it is essential I have a bit of both in my cd collection....

Metallica, only because I never really got into Maiden. But, comparing the 2, side by side, is like comparing a 1969 Camaro SS (Pro Street modified) to a Rat Rod. Yes, both are hot rods, and aestheticly correct in that respects, but two totally different entities. Metallica is used alot more palm mutes and weight. Sad But True and "Bells" are a good example. That is the metal/hardcore that I really like. However, they did not use textures and melodies like Maiden (Number of the Beast, Run to the Hills) had/has. One is damned near stictly puritan with few variations, the other although somewhat lost its soul and point of origin, is still just plain vicious. I like vicious.:headbang: