Is Christian Metal an oxymoron?

Vamos

Oct 21, 2006
First, I’ll go ahead and answer in the negative. Metal is just a style of music and like any other style it can be a medium by which a great number of values and ideals can be expressed be they Christian or otherwise.

Yet, some people see Metal as a way of life or as embodying a certain attitude and some of them say that Christianity (and by this I mean Catholicism, since I am a Catholic and don’t intend to speak for other groups) stands for everything that Metal is against. Of note are claims that in Christianity one adheres to dogmas and adopts an attitude of conformity or herd mentality, whereas in Metal, an attitude of individuality and freedom are encouraged and also rebellion against “conforming” to certain social standards.

I would say that this is a rather naïve and superficial way of looking at things. There can be as much conformity and herd mentality among Metal “purists” and “elitists” as there can be among your most extreme group of fundamentalist. Close mindedness can be found in any group.

The notion of freedom and rebellion against social standards is also one that is subjective and depends on what one is referring to. Saying that Metal encourages an attitude of rebellion while Christianity encourages slavery or adherence to dogma is deceptive and ignores this question. Metal may encourage freedom and rebellion against certain social standards and values, but anyone who rejects a set of values does so in order to embrace another. Nobody thinks or acts in a vacuum (unless you are crazy, of course), so, the very fact that you reject or rebel against a set of values presupposes a set of values that you already hold or desire to hold.

Christians are very much against the ways of this world and only use whatever is in this world as a means to an end and not as an end in itself. There is no “hope” or “salvation” in the things of this world for the Christian. So in a sense, Christianity does encourage an attitude of “rebellion” and of refusing to conform to the world and its ungodly ways/standards. Personally I also see this situation as fitting quite well with the darkness of some metal styles (Doom in my case).

Yes, there are certain beliefs which one holds to but every group be it atheist, Satanist, Buddhist or Pagan has a set of core values which they hold as a standard by which they judge and evaluate everything else and upon which they base their decisions. Christianity is not alone on this and the values from all these groups can be expressed in their own way using Metal as the medium.

If according to some Metal is supposed to embody or encourage an attitude of rebellion and non-conformity, unless by this is meant rebellion for the sake of rebellion and without any clear idea of what you want or believe, then Christianity can’t be said to be at odds with a music genre like Metal. If anything they make quite a good match.

I don't think Christian Metal is any different that normal metal. Each uses a symbolic aspect of life (Both being true aspects) and uses them to create music.

It's really quite ingenious how both (Christian and Demonic Metal) accomplish the same thing on both sides of the coin.

I don't think Christian Metal is any different that normal metal.

Neither do I and I personally do not think it is right to tag bands as "Christian Metal" anymore than it would be right to tag another band as Buddhist, Pagan or Secular Metal. It is just metal and it is either good or bad music. You like it or you don't. If what the band sings about goes against your views and you refuse to listen to them because of that then that's fine as well.

Yet, for the purpose of discussion, one simply refers to Metal bands that sing about Christian themes as "Christian Metal".

Now I'm not Christian, but if you just bluntly state that Christians are all idiots, you're an idiot.

Yet, for the purpose of discussion, one simply refers to Metal bands that sing about Christian themes as "Christian Metal".

Booya, grandma. :headbang:

EDIT: But if I were to call Manson christian metal, could I get away with it?

But if I were to call Manson christian metal, could I get away with it?

I would say no, it would be Satanic Metal (if you mean this Manson). But it would have nothing to do with the style of music but with the values/ideals that they convey with their music. Chrisitian Metal would be something that is positive about Christianity. It is like asking a person if they are a Christian or a Satanist. I can make a painting with Satanic themes using watercolor but I can also make one with Christian themes using the same medium. The medium is not the issue but what one conveys with it.

Alright, my opnion.

No, Christian Metal is not an oxymoron. I believe Christian or whatever religion have the right to do "metal", why not? Metal is not basically against religion, but against forms of submissions.

Anyway, it's sad that your post is not a counter-argumentation, it's less interesting (though it was very interesting) I believe, because I don't really see any reasons for it. Sincerly, I had the feeling you were defending Christians all the way and showing us how good christians were, but why? I mean, if Christian Metal exists then so be it, oops, I mean, "Amen", I don't care. And if some people believe Christianity doesn't have its place in metal, then again, alright, what are they going to do?

The only incohension between that religion and metal is, I think, the fact that metal was, socially, a way to rise against submission and to express the current misery, while religion is more about beliefs and isn't submit to any form of submission, because you are free to believe or not. You're not free to choose misery and social disappointment... This would be the main reason why it wouldn't have its place in metal.

Sorry but I often feel that Christians show a too big feeling of "enlightment" and tends to persue others that what they believe is the best thing that could ever happen to anyone. I also tend to believe that you're putting maybe too much devotion on this.

As for the genre "Christian" or any other religion, I think they got their place. Since I'm into lyrics, I want to know if I'm going to listen a song about Jesus or not.

what's with this shit everyone claiming metal symbolizes rebelliousness and thus you can't be doing metal if you're not being rebellious? then let's take all the love themes out of metal and just end up with slayer and stuff (slayer is awesome, though)

Fuck that, metal might have started as a way of "rising against submission" but it has grown much past it. Now, distorted guitars and rhythm driven music are practically accepted everywhere so you can make metal songs without the "I'M FUCKING DIFFERENT and I will devastate you" attitude. Which is the case today, anyway

So Christian metal or Islamic metal or Scientologist - Rapist metal can all coexist happily in a world of joyful harmony.

That's basically what I was saying. Forgot to talk about metal NOW, but in the past, it was against submission. In fact, I don't think it is anymore, but metal has been created this way, and some people want it to stay this way.

That's basically what I was saying. Forgot to talk about metal NOW, but in the past, it was against submission. In fact, I don't think it is anymore, but metal has been created this way, and some people want it to stay this way.

Fair enough but the question now is: what sort of submission is it supposed to be against?

Submission by definition is an act by which one submits to the power/authority of another. Every single person does that in one way or the other. Any rational society works in a hierarchical and thus submissive way: employees submit to their bosses, children to their parents, people obey or submit to laws, you respect the rules others have on their homes when you visit them, students submit to their teachers, etc. Even in a metal band you have "leaders" to which all the other members ultimately submit to. An anarchy where everyone is his own "boss" and does whatever he wants does not works and simply cannot lead to a healthy and functional society.

That being the case, I don't think this is the sort of submission that is in view here. If by submission what is meant is oppression, then it would be a rebellion against an abuse and unfair use of authority. In this case submitting to that authority would not only be illegitimate but irrational. Ergo, in this case the right thing to do is to refuse submission and rebel against such an authority.

Depending your worldview, you may see some authorities as legitimate and others as illegitimate, and you would have no problem submitting to those that share your values and ideals.

If Metal is supposed to stand against oppression, then good for it! We of course would disagree as to what constitutes oppression, however.

Non-christians in this post trying to explain how aspects of christianity work is almost comical here..

On topic, no, it's not an oxymoron.

^ I would said that it shouldn't be necessary. Yet, many "metalheads" think that Christianity and metal just don't mix (there are actually several groups just for that on Last.fm) and there are also plenty of fundamentalist Christians who share this view and paint all metal with a broad brush and call it Satanic and what not.

Just because some people that happen to go along with Christianity are a little lacking in intelligence doesn't mean that all Christians are completely illogical in that way. Similarly, just because some people believe metal is bar none the best music ever to be created and treat it as a way of life and run around shouting "stay metal!" like its some strange tick, doesn't mean people that like mostly metal are idiots. There's just no point in all the generalizations everyone's making, especially when we all basicly agree that Christian metal is not an oxymoron and people that think it is are too ignorant or set in their ways to be persuaded anyway.