IS having TestAmenT as an opening band a bad choice for Anthrax?

kirkland

Jan 30, 2011
At the show I just went to Testament out staged Anthrax. They had a heavier set and really put on a brutal high energy performance. Typically an opening band should be something that is good but not better than the headliner

By the time Anthrax comes on I think the audience has already been kicked in the ass and seen how a true brutal thrash metal band does it. It was weird how the crowd started to get bored when Anthrax was on stage. Maybe it was just because it was getting late or a weird coincidence. But it really seemed like Testament took the life out a watered down version of Anthrax. The Devil You know, Only, In The End, I'm Alive etc are pretty mellow songs in comparison to the heavy thrash songs from Testament and I think the crowd was a bit bored with tem.

You're right. They should get Justin Beiber to open for them. After that, Winger would sound like Slayer.

Why would anyone complain about being able to see two great bands?

Im not complaining at all. I think it is awesome. It is a great tour.

My point is that Testament is giving Anthrax a run for their money. Testament was much better IMO than Anthrax the other night.. more energy, better selection of songs etc. So I am just saying Anthrax might have benefited more from having a few unknown bands open for them so when they got on stage they were the focal point and wouldn't get out done by another band.

I know a lot of people left the other night were talking about how they thought Testament stole the show etc.

Anthrax/Testament is going to draw a lot more than Anthrax and some shitty unknown bands. Both bands know that and they do these kinds of tours on purpose. It works out better for the bands and the fans.

Anthrax/Testament is going to draw a lot more than Anthrax and some shitty unknown bands. Both bands know that and they do these kinds of tours on purpose. It works out better for the bands and the fans.

What he said.

I know a lot of people left the other night were talking about how they thought Testament stole the show etc.

Interesting. I was just re-reading my review from the Fall 2010 tour and as I was leaving I was listening to non-Anthrax fans say they stole the show from Slayer and Megadeth. Maybe it's like football where fans always call for the backup QB :Spin:

thoughts from talking to other concert-goers that night...I think it really pays off for Anthrax that they have a frontman who doesn't have to handle instrument duties. Being compared against two other bands where the lead singer mostly has to stand in place and sing/play, Anthrax ends up putting on the most energetic and interactive show. I met several guys who were not big Anthrax fans, but they thought Anthrax was the most impressive of the bands. I attribute quite a bit of that to how Joey can work the crowd, and also that Frank is so interactive.

Interesting. I was just re-reading my review from the Fall 2010 tour and as I was leaving I was listening to non-Anthrax fans say they stole the show from Slayer and Megadeth. Maybe it's like football where fans always call for the backup QB :Spin:

Dude if they had a longer set they would've probably been the best band on the bill, in a live setting at least. I saw that tour here last year and they sounded fucking great, definitely better than Megadeth. Slayer sounded good though, they were just so fuckin loud. But if Anthrax could've played longer it would have been hard to pick. Funny how the opposite is happening now w/ Testament. I've never seen Testament so it's just making me look forward to seeing them on this tour even more.

I saw that show. I didn't like Megadeth much but Slayer was definitely better than Anthrax was. It was a Slayer show they had all the lights, and the better sound, and crowd went nuts. No way in hell did Anthrax steal the show from Slayer..that night anyways

No way! This is a great night of metal for any fan, and if Anthrax gets upstaged by Testament, it should only serve as an incentive for them to work even harder and getting their act together! :Spin: If they'd add some songs, like NFL, Gung Ho or Panic, it would certainly help!

BTW; there's no shame in being overshadowed and upstaged by Testament. I've seen it happen to Megadeth, Judas Priest, WASP and even Iron Maiden!

I don't think so,it's great for the fans,it would be outstanding if we got same bill in Australia,if anything it gives anthrax a big kick in the ass to make sure there on game

I don't think so,it's great for the fans,it would be outstanding if we got same bill in Australia,if anything it gives anthrax a big kick in the ass to make sure there on game

I think Testament playing great is better for Anthrax, both bands pushing each other to a higher level as great for the audience. No doubt the set with evolve as they figure out what works. Because Anthrax is so diverse, they can make it thrashier or not depending on who they are playing with. Maybe it needs to be more old school for these gigs. Who knows?