Is Iced Earth a solo project of Jon Schaffer?

Is Iced Earth a solo project of Jon Schaffer?

• yes

Votes: 13 68.4%
  • no

Votes: 6 31.6%

• Total voters
Total solo project, I think that the only reason that it's called Iced Earth is because that sounds cooler than "The Jon Schaffer Project Featuring his Brothers of the Moment."

Iced In Flames said:
So Iron Maiden has just been Steve Harris? Thats an odd way to look at things.
Composers of Iron Maiden songs:
Steve Harris
Dave Murray
Adrian Smith
Janick Gers
Bruce Dickinson
Bailey Blaze
Paul Di'Anno

In a way...yes
In my opinion Jon is Iced Earth
He's responsible for almost every song (lyrics/music) and on top of the music side of Iced Earth,Jon handles the entire buisness aspect of the band.

The man is a leader no question about it,and I hold Jon in high regard for his integrity and perseverence.Matt did contribute to the band (lyrics wise) as did Randy Shawver,but all other musicians aside Jon is the band.

Good news is Jon is letting Tim write from now on.He re-wrote "Red-Baron" and was offered to redo 3 other songs on the "The Glorious Burden" but couldn't do it due to time constraints.

But back to the topic,Jon has said in countless interviews that the musicians he hires are "A vessel for my songwriting" and has also stated that "everyone can be replaced"

Reguardless what people's opinions are
I will always support Jon and the vision he has with Iced Earth

Zac

epicous said:
Composers of Iron Maiden songs:
Steve Harris
Dave Murray
Adrian Smith
Janick Gers
Bruce Dickinson
Bailey Blaze
Paul Di'Anno
Yeah Tarnowski,Shawver, and Abell have writing dredits too. BUT. How many songs has Steve done by himself?

Iced In Flames said:
Yeah Tarnowski,Shawver, and Abell have writing dredits too. BUT. How many songs has Steve done by himself?
Songs Harris has done by himself:

Prowler
Phantom of The Opera
Strange World
Iron Maiden
Invasion
Wraithchild
Murders In The Rue Morgue
Another Life
Innocent Exile
Prodigal Son
Purgatory
Drifter
Invaders
Children of The Damned
The Number of The Beast
Run To The Hills
Hallowed Be Thy Name
Where Eagles Dare
The Trooper
Quest For Fire
To Tame A Land
Aces High
Losfer Words
The Duellists
Rime of The Ancient Mariner
Caught Somewhere In Time
Sea of Madness
Heaven Can Wait
The Lonliness of The Long Distance Runner
Alexander The Great
Infinite Dreams
Seventh Son of A Seventh Son
The Clairvoyant
No Prayer For The Dying
The Assassin
Mother Russia
From Here To Eternity
Afraid To Shoot Strangers
Childhood's End
The Fugitive
Sign of The Cross
Fortunes of War
Judgement of Heaven
Blood On The Worlds Hands
Wrathchild
The Angel And The Gambler
The Clansman
The Educated Fool
Don't Look To The Eyes of A Stranger
Blood Brothers
No More Lies

guitar: Jon Schaffer, Bill Owens, Larry Sapp, Randall Sawver, Larry Tarnowski, Ralph Santolla
vocals: Gene Adams, John Greely, Matthew Barlow, Tim Owens
bass: Richard Bateman, Dave Abell, Keith Menser, James MacDonough, Steve DiGiorgio
drums: Mark McGill, Brent Smedley, Richey Secchiari, Greg Seymour, Rodney Beasley, Richard Christy

Jon Schaffer has worked with 20 musicians since 1985 in his project.
Steve Harris has worked with 9 musicians since 1979.

But what differentiate a real band from a project band is the repetition of the collaboration:
Harris: bass --- Murray: guitar --- McBrain: drums, have been playing together in Maiden since 1983.

There is no such real thing as a band that can be defined by total members over time. The truth is that the whole band thing is just another way to package a product to you, the consumer. You will 'buy' it because that's the way the genre is sold to you. The fact is in any creative process there are always 1 or maybe 2 creators. The beatles Lennon and Mcartney.
I find this whole band thing comical at times. Like it's some big communal entity that has to function as 'one'. I think that whole mindset goes deep into social issues that I dont want to get into here. The fact is Jon Schaffer is Iced Earth.