Is is still piracy to dowload an album early, even though you're going to buy it?

Opethfan1980

Jaded and Gaunt
May 8, 2002
California, USA
sunsetfuneral.iuma.com
Just curious to your thoughts on this.

I know that Deliverance has been leaked, and is out there.

I don't support people downloading good music without the intention of buying it.

However, do you guys think downloading something early, even though you're still going to buy it when it comes out, is still piracy?

It still qualifies as piracy, by definition, it's just a question of weather it's bad or not.

Personally I don't like it, because you're supporting the use of downloading (if noone downloaded anything, it wouldn't be ripped), including those that do so without the intention of buying (though this is more relevant to some big thing like Audiogalaxy, rather than small things).

If you are going to buy it, it doesn't matter if you wait for the artificial date set by the record label to first hear it.

Technically yes, it's piracy. Do I think it is, not really. I don't really like it though. I've heard a lot of bands say this and I agree somewhat.. it's like, when you have the date, EVERYONE gets it then, and everyone starts talking about it all at once, and when people get it gradually here and there and pass it around and talk about it a month before, it kind of ruins the magic and the surprise.

As long as the person is intending to buy it or is trying it out to see whether it's good or not than i don't really care. In this metal scene i think mp3 download PROMOTES the music. People who live in metal depraved countries like me would never have heard these bands or know what they sound like if it wasn't for mp3's.

The way I see it is lke this:

If someone (me personally) enjoys music a lot, I'm sure they will buy it. Music means a lot more to me than people think, and I don't see how people can put a pricetag on something this special if you ask me. It's worth more than $$$ to me. But if I really respect and appreciate the music that the musicians have given me, I'll surely buy the cd. It's the least I could do. That's just how I feel about it.

My thing is if onehundred people who have never heard Opeth download it and 10 buy it, then they have just gained 10 fans they would never have had

I'm buying this album. I'm gonna ask mumsy and daddy to make it one of my christmas presents. I've already heard it and for that I feel kinda guilty. So nothings gonna stop me from buying it or receiving the real thing in some way.

There, my conscience is clear.

Originally posted by Orchid
Is it illegal to kill someone even though you're going to pay for their funeral? :p ;)

This would have to be THE SMARTEST comment I've seen to date regarding the D-loading Deliverance topic..............

Originally posted by Orchid
Is it illegal to kill someone even though you're going to pay for their funeral? :p ;)

uhmmm.... but if you stay legal and DON'T kill him, do you still have to pay for his funeral?:rolleyes: :)

BTW, I won't download the album because it would totally kill the magic for me, especially since I would only get it in pieces with my
f%$&ing modem...

Originally posted by Opethfan1980
What? That's the most nonsensical comparison I've ever heard.

Talk about apples and oranges...

Aggravated much?

Don't take it so seriously. Personally, I don't care if someone downloads a full album - regardless of whether the person is planning to buy the album later or not.

The point is: one's intentions don't make a certain action any less illegal in the eyes of the law (to which we must [unfortunately sometimes] abide), no matter how "acceptable" it might be on a social level.

Speaking of this situation as the matter of law and music in general:

1. Downloading currently is believed to be illegal.
2. An idea exist that since mp3s can be so easily transportable, bands loose money. (bullshit)

First of all, in an american law (i dunno about others) there is this thing that when you purchase something you are supposed be able to inspect it and approve of it before you take possession through purchase. Now, this doesnt apply to Opeth but music in general - how many of you have bought cd's because one or two songs on that cd were really cool, and when you bought it the whole CD turned out to suck? And how many were able to return it?

My point exactly. Thats why I welcome the ability to listen to at least 40% of the CD before I buy it. This general situation does not apply to Opeth, because we know that they are quite incapable of putting out a CD with only 2 good songs. Unless the songs are 30 minutes long on average.... :D

Originally posted by Sfarog
Speaking of this situation as the matter of law and music in general:

1. Downloading currently is believed to be illegal.
2. An idea exist that since mp3s can be so easily transportable, bands loose money. (bullshit)

First of all, in an american law (i dunno about others) there is this thing that when you purchase something you are supposed be able to inspect it and approve of it before you take possession through purchase. Now, this doesnt apply to Opeth but music in general - how many of you have bought cd's because one or two songs on that cd were really cool, and when you bought it the whole CD turned out to suck? And how many were able to return it?

My point exactly. Thats why I welcome the ability to listen to at least 40% of the CD before I buy it. This general situation does not apply to Opeth, because we know that they are quite incapable of putting out a CD with only 2 good songs. Unless the songs are 30 minutes long on average.... :D
At least here in Denmark you can go listen to a cd at the record store before buying it. If it's a underground band they might not have it or if you live in the middle of nowhere you may not be able to go the shop. I think mp3's have ups and downsides. It's a good thing that you can listen to stuff before buying it. I download stuff to see if I like it. If I don't like it, I'll delete the file! If I like it, I'll go look for the record!
The downside is that a lot of people don't think the same way I do. My brother for instance hasn't bought ONE single cd since he discovered mp3's (at least not to my knowledge), except for blank cd's. Don't come here and say people don't lose money cause people download! Before my brother discovered mp3's he bought cd's. James Brown, Jimi Hendrix, Blackstreet and so on! My mother had a cd on her wishlist for christmas and I said to my brother "I think I'll buy that cd" and he said "Why not just download it and burn it?".
Another example is a guy I know who is more or less vinyl freak as myself (although I am more than he). He said "yeah, it's a cool track" when we heard "Sowing the seeds of love" by Tears for Fears on the radio. I found it on 7" at a second hand shop for 5 Kroner (approx. $0.65) and I told him about it and he said "Nah, I'll just download it". Then we started discussing if he was a vinyl freak or not and it turned out that he only bought vinyl if it was drum n' bass (which is the only goddamn crap he listens to!) or if he found some cheap hip hop or other shit at a second hand store - The rest he'll just download! He couldn't even spare 5 Kroner on that goddamn song he liked, he'd rather just download it! Okay, Tears for Fears don't loose money as it's a second hand record, but you know what I'm talking about! I think he's been "Goddamn, this rocks" when he's heard the last 3 singles Britney Spears has released, but he haven't bought a single one of them! He just downloaded the shit! Come on, how much does a new single cost? 45 Kroner ($5.9) I think!
If you like the shit buy it! As simple as that!
If every download thing was shut down a thing bands could was to put mp3's on their websites. Empyrium did that for "Where at...". They put 3-4 songs that laste 1-2 minuttes and I was like "Hey, this is cool" and when out and bought the record! Even though Satyr is a anti-mp3 dude (as far as I've been told) they have it at their website! It doesn't neccasarrily have to be 128kps and shit. Maybe 64kps or something and just a minutte or two. People can hear their shit before listening and they will go buy their record as it's not good enough quality and the songs aren't long enough!
By the way, I don't mind buying a record for one good song. I paid 180 Kroner ($23.5) for Lee Hazlewood's "Friday's child" which has one good song and I haven't regretted it!