Does getting an album early spoil the release for you?

I see it as similar to the radio premiere of the album. Well, since it's highly unlikely that Opeth will be on the radio any time soon (especially in the musically backwards USA), it's like we're treating ourselves to a sneak preview before the album comes out.

Because I'm a completeionist, I'll buy it like or hate, but I absolutely love this album, so I may be tempted to buy a CD and vinyl copy, get opeth to sign the vinyl, and frame it in my room.

I have a lame connetion but I would try to resist downloading albums months before the official release. It's fine if you download one or two songs just to get a taste of what is coming, but not the whole album. For me the excitement of buying an album is really great and I don't want to spoil it downloading it before. But as I said, just a lame connection on 56K so the possibility is far away from me for now!

Yes, getting an album early would ruin not only the first listen (because with my lame connection I would only get it in bits and pieces), but also kinda destroy the albums impact on me for a long time.

I found that out last year when I ordered the first three Opeth albums from some danish online store (the older albums where NOWHERE to be found in Germany at that time).
It took them six weeks(!) to get all the albums and ship them to me, and during that time I was so eager to hear new Opeth stuff that I downloaded songs from Orchid... after one month (and still no albums) I had the whole album on my comp.
Guess what album I didn't listen to and didn't really enjoy when I got them? I loved MAYH and Morningrise, but Orchid was spoiled and ruined for several months. I eventually got into it, though.

That's why I didn't download any song of Deliverance before it came out.
I waited for the release and when it arrived I loved it from the start. I listenend to it three times the first evening and was floored. The first week it was the only album I listened too.

And that's why I won't download anything of Damnation either.

I only download songs if I'm not sure if an album is worth getting, and I never get full albums (again ;) ).

BTW, I have a strong will and shall rule all your weak minds one day.
Muahahahaa!!! :Heh:

I'm from the "Ol' Skool" and I refuse to give in to the internet monster that everyone else has seemed to cave in to.
Unlike most of you, I prefer to support the bands I like by waiting patiently for the release date and paying "full" price for the music I'm about enjoy.
Stands to reason that if you want something to be around, you need to support it. This means spending money.
You don't honestly expect bands to keep putting music out if their not being paid for it.....Do you???
Food for thought. :cool:

NP: Spock's Beard- Snow