Does Growing Up Bother You?

MetalManCPA

Papa Opeth
May 19, 2001
Visit site
For me, it didn't until recently. I don't mind getting older (41 now), and I'm not afraid of what getting older can mean. For instance, every day you get closer to death: well, I can only hope to die of old age, as long as I miss the obstacles in between now and then.

The only thing that bothers me is my body constantly reminding me that I'm getting older. I like to stay active - work out 3-5 times per week, and I play hockey once a week. It's the next morning after hockey, when I feel the knees, and that general sapped feeling that bothers me. When I was younger, I wasn't affected like that. I could do almost anything, and my body just took it. Also, I notice that 1/2-step slower thing too. I want to go faster, but the body just says no. Now, I only know it will slowly progress in the wrong direction.

Oh well, I guess it's the price of living.

Yes, I hate having to make decisions that could alter the rest of my life. I wish things could be easier. Getting older doesn't really bother me. I just hope I can learn as many important things as possible and hopefully change someone's life.

I'm not a particularly active person.. but I do think it'd be nice to maintain all my physical and mental faculties into my golden (platinum??) years..

But who knows? I think it's good to play the game as long as you can.. bow out gracefully when you can't. We really don't get much of a warning.. "Mind that bus! What bus? *SPLAT*"

So.. I'm not really bothered by it, but I'm sure I will be. I think the first step will be.. hair loss.

:lol:

*weeeep*

I'm not desperately worried about growing up, although I think my folks are worried that I'll never grow up. (That means cut your hair and get a proper job, pah!)

What does scare the p'ss out of me is losing my mind in old age, I know someone suffering from alchzeimers disease at that puts the fear of sh't into me! I'll stand for my body falling apart over time as long as I can keep my sanity.

Oh and if you mean ice hokey metalmancpa then I'm not surprised you feel the pain. I don't think I'd feel anything the next morning if I were levelled by a Ray Bourke or an Eric Lindross, let alone just my knees!

I just hate it that i am 23 and live with my parents because i can not find a fucking job i like. I spend most of my time with bands and drinking ( that may have something to do with it :lol: )
jAY

Not really. I am kind of looking forward to some things about being old and retired. That is all based on the assumptions that I actually make it into my distinguished years and that I do not lose my mind.

I know someone suffering from alchzeimers disease at that puts the fear of sh't into me!

Via the above, me too!

It would be good getting to the stage of passing on grumpy wisdom to all the younger generation as a compulsive habit! :)

im not at all worried about growing old, life is short, like a flower in bloom it will soon wither and die, but it is remembered for its color and beauty, not for the frail decaying mass, i just let life take it course and lead me where it will, i dont care how my life ends, i believe in the spirit not in earthly form, no matter what happens in life, my soul or spirit is eternal, my idea of hell would be eternal life in earthly existence, to suffer the monotony of living forever, the only thing that gives my life meaning is change, i am not so naive to think i can control my life, i do not know what lies ahead, but i can be sure of death, to me death is comforting, a fail safe, i know no matter what happens me in life, no matter how much i endure, there is always death to end the suffering, that is not to say i am suicidal, quite the contrary, life is a journey and i want to see where i will end up, but when the time comes i will embrace death, whatever thereafter lies, whether non-existence or another plane i welcome the change

Yeh damn right.

I can't wait to tell kids how it was back in my day.

The metal was heavy, they played real guitars and drums, they screamed properly, you could headbang to music back in my day, thats real music blah blah blah blah......

ah can you imagine what music will have degenerated into in 20 years time if recent years are anything to go by :( ah well never know, opeth might still be around :D

Originally posted by veil the sky
Yeh damn right.

I can't wait to tell kids how it was back in my day.

The metal was heavy, they played real guitars and drums, they screamed properly, you could headbang to music back in my day, thats real music blah blah blah blah......

:lol:

...and I used to wear an onion on my belt, which was a sign of the times...

Simpsons Flashback. :)

i guess it does because time slips away so easily and the next thing you know you've wasted almost all your life. its not really growing old that scares me, its not living life to its potential. if i had seized every opporunity i had presented to me in my life, i could die a happy man today, but there is already so much i've let slip through my fingers.