What would you like to happen with the next album?

Neurotomania said:
...akerfeldt himself has stated he wants to do two 30 minute black metal songs. I don't really mind what album or 'sound' they go back to, or if they change their style to something new again...

Now this sounds good! This sounds like something Opeth would do. I'm down. MARK. ME. DOWN. :p Hey, remember where you read that by any chance?

Yeah it seems likely that the new album will be kind of BM oriented... I'm really looking forward to seeing how Opeth can push the genre to new limits.. hopefully we'll have an album to lay alongside 'Prometheus'.

What I'd really like to hear more of in the Opeth sound is the use of samples... atmospheric type things, or more atmospheric guitar effects. D&D just weren't layered enough to be considered 'classics' to me... there just isn't that kind of depth that you'll find on albums like Still Life. I have a feeling with this new BM thing they may bring the dual melodies back to the table... and being an avid Orchid fanboy, I would die for that. Anyway, the use of more keyboard 'aaaahs', string ensembles, rain sounds etc. etc. Just more things to add to the atmosphere. The last 2 albums have been really lacking and very straigthforward... especially Deliverance, who's riffs really disappoint me.

I would like to hear longer songs and have the same mood as Morningrise and MAYH. Slower riffing with more emotion and maybe Barbieri of PT for some atmosphere changes. And as always bring in Steven for the best production possible. I'm sure whatever Mike comes out with next won't disappoint me but everyone can have a dream. :(

YOU KNOW WHAT!??!?!?!?!? I thought of it...They need to fuckin take it old school. They've done their expeirmenting and development, (music and vocals) now they need to just take it back to their roots. Old school fucking death metal! But still have that touch of heavy and soft. For me, that brings out the most emotion and feeling. They need to throw down those insane riffs, deep growls, crazy fuckin drums, mind blowing singing, throw in the essential Opeth darkness and just fuckin let loose. Because from there, they are still putting out something that IMO nobody will be able to touch.

What they CANNOT do is put out an entire album of ONE thing I.E: Damnation..

They can then start progressing along there album time line. Think to themselves, shit "I like what we did in MAYH, but fuck! let's try it like this"...I think this approach will be the most fucking awesome way to do any future album.

I am done...my appologies for pretending i was mike...:Spin:

Guardian of Darkness said:
No, he hasn't. He said he would either do an occult album, or a two-track album. Not a mixture of both.

actually, if you do a search of his posts on this very forum, you'll find a mention somewhere of him wanting to do two half hour black metal tracks. But then, its only an idea. Maybe we'll hear 60 one minute funk fusion tracks, you never know.

Hm, I honestly do not know what they are going to do in the future. I do not want to see another still life, blackwater park, or deliverance. It has been done. And as for damnation, I have to agree. It's a good album and everything, but it lacks the consistency of their other works.

Awww... Opeth can't go BM now. I mean, they can probably make good BM but they're like the softer part of the music I listen to. I don't want Opeth to go BM...

I dont want opeth to go black metal either.

I want something along the lines of Morning rise meets Damnation with a touch of blackwater park.

What I mean by that is I'd like to see amazing songs with the guitar work and drumming of morning rise, but with more softer, technical soft parts, but still have that atmospheric/moody vibe that blackwater park gives off. And a mix between hard/soft and growled/clean vocals.

I'd like it when Peter starts cowriting the songs like in the good ol' days! :) And do some twin guitar stuff. That really rulez!

And Opeth CAN'T go blackmetal!! It's really not a blackmetal band! If i want to hear good bm, i go listen to immortal. I also believe Mikael doesnt like bm that much (hopefully)

Yep I really hope they follow through on this 30 minute occult x2 idea - I like the sound of it a lot. I've noticed in a lot of sigs a lot of people listening to 'queens of the stone age - regular john' and thought I'd just ask what the bloody hells wrong with you all.

now kyuss, on the other hand...