What would you like to happen with the next album?

KevyCanavan

Jaaaaaaaam
Jul 10, 2003
Northern Ireland
www.kevycanavan.cjb.net
i'm hoping for something along the lines of Still Life.
I'd like to hear what would happen if they got Andy Sneap to go all out on it.
I liked Damnation but i still think that Damnation and Deliverance should have been a double album. Damnation just doens't keep up with the rest of the albums since this lineup.

I agree with what you said about Damnation, and I'd like to see more involvement with Andy Sneap. I love Deliverance (still my favourite Opeth cd!) but I agree they should move on - which means NOT another Still Life. I don't know what that means honestly, but I'm sure whatever Mikael and Peter (I'd like to see Peter get back into the writing with Mike) put out it'll be worth a listen.
My own preference would be possibly for the guys to do ONE commercial song, with big hooks and so on, to try and get a bigger audience, and a decent video to get played on MTV2 , Kerrang TV etc.
I know that if they do that it'll be a kind of selling out but it really fucks me off that Opeth have day jobs! They DESERVE success and if they keep retreading the loud/soft/loud/soft thing they'll end up a parody of themselves anyway.
I'd love to see them get the success they deserve.

I think that is what they did with Deliverence, and i dont think they'll go "Heavier" that that...

I would like them to take it easy, and put alot of thought into the lyrics...

KevyCanavan said:
Damnation just doens't keep up with the rest of the albums since this lineup.
It keeps up in it's own way. D1 & D2 ARE a double album IMO. The cover look like they belong together. They were practically made the same time. The names...

I want them to come out something completely unexpected next. :D I'm filled with anticipation when I think of this question. For me, they've riffed their way into my heart so much that they're almost untouchable. I'll always have what they've given already, but this pedestal that I've got them on... no one can stay up there that long. The air's too thin. A wrong move and they're coming down. Some people have already told me they think they've fallen with Damnation. Maybe I'm too bias to think they could possibly make an album I didn't like right now. Nah. I felt the same way about a band once. I guess it's possible.

Unless... Opeth are wizards and churn out unbelievable metal till the day I die. (crosses fingers) :)

TakinTheMusicBack said:
(I'd like to see Peter get back into the writing with Mike)

YES! I totally agree. I won't say Mikael isn't doing a HELLAVA job by himself, but it'd add much more. That was the massive harmonizing guitars that was there in Orchid and Morningrise. What IS there is incredible, but I did love that sound too.

OOPS. :Smug: I'm asking for everything again, aren't I?

I'd like to see them follow through on the concept Mikael recently mentioned in an interview: an occult concept album with two 30 minute songs....

If Mikael does the death vox Bloodbath-style, that'll be the worst Opeth cd i'll ever own, if i don't toss it out, i hate his vox for bloodbath, not so much for deliverance, but it doesnt even come close to his vox on Orchid...

they really gotta go back to the old style, fuck all of you that say "BUT HEYY MANNNT THEY'RE DEATH PROG DUUUDE, LIKE THEY GOTA EVVOLVE U NOE?"

I hope they don't ever try to revert back to an old style, because that's often the downfall of bands. I'd love them to do a very atmospheric, dark album.

Guardian of Darkness said:
I hope they don't ever try to revert back to an old style, because that's often the downfall of bands. I'd love them to do a very atmospheric, dark album.

Yeah, I'd go along with that. Despite the fact AC/DC are the best band ever IMO!