What would you like to happen with the next album?

chaveta said:
yeah, the people want ORCHID II: THE GOOD OLD DAYS

Hahaha yeah, the good old days.... thats what Im talkin about. Of course I've only listened to Opeth for about a year now..... but the 1st two are still my favorite with the exception of BWP.... BWP is perfection in their recent style, and I don't think they would be able to top it, so they need a bit of a change.

Oh God... I would've taken my own life if Opeth listened to you guys..

"Best of Opeth" and dancable techno remix of Demon of the Fall?! You are really, really, _*really*_ sick, Gorilla!

I doubt thay will make a black metal album, I think the more natural thing to do for them is to progress in a further direction from Damnation, with growling of course.

Personally, I would like somewhing with a more 'living' sound, and more layers, like Still Life. But I trust Opeth will make a great album.

Well, i don't want Orchid, I don't want Morningrise, I don't want MAYH, I don't want Still life, I don't want Blackwater Park, I don't want Deliverance, and I don't want Damnation. I already have them, and you guys should too, so why do you want them to make another CD just like one of them? It'd just be the same thing. I want an Opeth CD that's different and still Opeth (like a few have said)

I stilllll....don't think two 30 minutes songs would be cool at all. Why put soo much effort into two songs, instead of making 6-10 kick ass songs that have much more to offer than two long songs? I like the option of more variety...and i stand behind my opinion...

I do however see the appeal in the two long songs...maybe one of these days. But for now i want another album, not two songs. Because the album would not be an album, if it would be two songs.

Moonlapse said:
Yeah it seems likely that the new album will be kind of BM oriented... I'm really looking forward to seeing how Opeth can push the genre to new limits.. hopefully we'll have an album to lay alongside 'Prometheus'.

What I'd really like to hear more of in the Opeth sound is the use of samples... atmospheric type things, or more atmospheric guitar effects. D&D just weren't layered enough to be considered 'classics' to me... there just isn't that kind of depth that you'll find on albums like Still Life. I have a feeling with this new BM thing they may bring the dual melodies back to the table... and being an avid Orchid fanboy, I would die for that. Anyway, the use of more keyboard 'aaaahs', string ensembles, rain sounds etc. etc. Just more things to add to the atmosphere. The last 2 albums have been really lacking and very straigthforward... especially Deliverance, who's riffs really disappoint me.

yes! I want more strange atmospheric sounds. Check out the solo on The Twilight is My Robe (starts on 10:16) and more specifically the little distorted guitar sound on 10:22 - 10:23.

And Prometheus totally kicks ass. I want more oddball stuff.. things that make the music totally unique and detailed. I want something difficult to digest. But it has to be Opeth and not Emperor. Hopefully they will find the middle ground and we will be treated to a truly one-of-a-kind release.

What's up with this, "ah, Damnation is great but it just can't keep up with the others?" etc.

Damnation is a magnificent album...I like it as much as the others. Doesn't anyone realize this is the ONE that is going to end up being the band's MOST SUCCESSFUL album? I mean, I heard it even made the AMERICAN billboard charts.

I also heard, that IF Damnation ends up selling the most, Mikael "may" consider doing another clean album...and damn, that would be great!

Anyway, in response to the thread;

I'd kill if Opeth went back to their roots...something along the lines of Orchid and Mornigrise (my two favourite albums). I'd lile an album with those 12-14 minute length songs again, where you can just sit back and enjoy music splendour. Nothing compares to metal on an epic scale quite like that. At least, for me anyway. And, I may be in the minority here, but whatever....