Is it just me or ...

BlackRoseMetalHeart

Metal Mistress
Feb 4, 2006
Baltimore, MD - USA
www.myspace.com
I didn't want to cloud up the regular forum with this (it's not all that important, but it's been bugging me a little), but is it just me or has there been an abnormal influx of assholes on the forum as of late? I know that a lot of us can get very fervent with our opinions and such sometimes, but generally most of the regulars on this forum can agree to disagree when we've reached a certain point. I'm not talking about that sort of thing. I'm talking about people being downright nasty just for the sake of being nasty.

In particular I've noticed a lot of name calling, unwarranted bashing of opinions, shouting (typing in all caps - a lot) and "I don't care what you are posting about" comments that are 1) unnecessary and 2) distracting from the actual topic of conversation on most threads. (Who cares if you don't care what I/he/she is posting about? Go to another thread that you do care about.) And generally it's coming from forum members who have less that 50 or 100 posts - newer forum members. (Please don't take this as an attack on all new forum members.)

Most of the time these sort of people just end of making fools of themselves in front of the rest of us, rather than actually getting anyone to understand their point of view.

Anyway, this was just a issue that I've noticed to be more prevalent than ever before in my last 3-4 years of posting on here. I know it happens on most online forums, but I have found it to be a rare occurrence on the PP forum.

Anyone else notice this and/or have any idea of where it's coming from? Did the Ozzfest or Blabbermouth forums suddenly stop working and we're getting their overflow of jerks who feel it can't live a day without criticizing or name-call in their online posts? Maybe I've just been lucky enough to manage to miss these people in the past.

Please note: I didn't mention any forum names, etc. of any of the particular offenders I have noticed of late, because I wasn't meaning this to turn into a bashing of any particular person/people who post here. I was simply wondering if anyone knew of a reason why this type of behavior has become more prevalent on a forum where people are generally pretty civilized in their discussions.

OK, that's my rant for the day. :rolleyes:

Yes.

I think its a combination of ultimatemetal.com becoming more popular (at least it seems like it has been), people around due to band announcements and sticking around, and well some elitism on the part of regular formgoers. Lastly, I think that some of the regulars are being their normal prickly selves and while we know it and don't react to it, some newer people do.

The site is getting Blabbermouthish. I find myself withdrawing from it more each day.

Which makes me sad, because I hate to see people who are valid and knowledgeable contributing members of this forum (which I consider a resource) leave the community because a few nasty and ignorant people have entered into it.

I like knowing that if I have a question or a thought about the music I like, I can post it here and get some great feedback. Granted, I may not like that everyone doesn't agree with me (and I don't expect them to), but it's easier to take when you can at least tell that the person disagreeing with you has a reasonable head on their shoulders and is only voicing their dissenting opinion, not blatantly attacking you for having one of your own.

It comes and goes...sort of like a cycle. I remember being called names & threatened with mob violence simply because l refused to agree with the lemming mentality at that time. Of course, l didn't mind voicing my opposing opinion ;)

Its a seasonal fluctuation. I see it on forums I moderate (much larger than UM). With the weather getting colder, more people are stuck indoors. It gets better once we hit March and April. Winter rage, as I like to call it :).

chokolatezrainvt3.jpg

Frankly it's distressing, because those of us that are used to acting like assholes (at times) now have to compete with an entirely new crop of assholes...and it somehow cheapens the brilliance of my assholishness.

Maybe it's time for me to hang up my asshole and call it quits...wait...that didn't come out quite right...

Never mind...

Rock on!

Unfortunately, as prog and power metal gets more popular, we're attracting more people. Which in it self may not always be a bad thing, but with more people means more people who are wanting to cause trouble.

Most of the time we get along here. But with any message forum thing - the longer you're around and the more popular get, the more likely you'll have problems.

Like anything - we may be a victim of our own success. That goes for ProgPower as well.

The other thing is too, that most of us know each other on a personal level outside this forum (twatting anyone?), or have at least become fairly well know about each other on this forum. Our good natured insults and jabs at others on here might be misinterepreted by another person who is only looking on. I think that maybe our joking can sometimes be mistaken as an open invation for others to attack, when in reality it is meant as nothing more than playful.

-MetalRose

Normally I'd have just attributed the influx of...."young in the head" posters to the usual post-Christmas "Mommy and Daddy got me a new computer for Xmas!" crowd.......but alas and damnit, it's November. :lol:

Back in the ancient days of, oh, 7 years ago, you could set your watch by all the new kiddies invading the interwebz.

The other thing is too, that most of us know each other on a personal level outside this forum (twatting anyone?), or have at least become fairly well know about each other on this forum. Our good natured insults and jabs at others on here might be misinterepreted by another person who is only looking on. I think that maybe our joking can sometimes be mistaken as an open invation for others to attack, when in reality it is meant as nothing more than playful.

-MetalRose

iagree.gif

...or maybe sarcasm is a lost art to some.
wiggle.gif

Our good natured insults and jabs at others on here might be misinterepreted by another person who is only looking on. I think that maybe our joking can sometimes be mistaken as an open invation for others to attack, when in reality it is meant as nothing more than playful.

BULLSHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111!11one1