Is it just me or...

facebook is killing all forums unfortunately.
Facebook groups are really hard to follow, as a post goes down the timeline and there are no "threads" with a title that you can open.
I love this forum and try to post interesting stuff as much as possible.
I have got to know a lot of you guys and really enjoy discussing production and gear.
The way to keep this active is to stimulate discussion.
If everyone who has posted in this thread came up with an interesting, discussion stimulating topic for the backline or foh sub forums, it would start to spring back a bit.
I don't agree that everything has been covered. I'm doing this 20 years and still learn new stuff and make better mixes all the time.
I used to really enjoy the practice room forum and would reamp pretty much every decent di pack that was put there and it really helped me learn the art of micing an amp for metal.

OK I'll start. Relevant to what's been mentioned in this thread.
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/...-etc-killing-the-art-of-micing-an-amp.996373/

Reactions: ForHerDeadEyes
I have been a member here for 10 years....wow!!! I have learned a lot from this forum. When I first got here this place was exactly what I needed. I wanted to get better at mic'ing everything, and I was able to ask questions without feeling like a idiot because I wasn't asking about how to sound like the Beatles like all the other forums. As said before this forum became a Kemper, Axfx, latest drum pack forum and that was it for me. For about two years all I would come to this forum for was to see the funny post in the bar. I still have hope here though.

To me, the decline of the forum is glaringly obvious. Basically all the gear people listed (amp sims, drum packs, ezmix) + YouTube. The rise of YouTube tutorials over the past 3 years is just too hard to resist for newcomers. Who wants to sift through lines and lines of text to read how to get a "Joey Sturgis" like PODfarm tone when they can just do a YouTube search and copy the dude's settings in the video.

You could do an entire podfarm/slate/ezmix demo for your own band by YouTube tutorials and be satisfied with the product. I think in general newcomers are less interested in mixing when they can get instant gratification with digital products and hand me down settings. Then when they try to mix without YouTube it sounds like complete shit and they're turned off.

I'll admit I'm guilty of this too. I remember I had a question on a Logic X setting a couple weeks ago and my first thought was to search YouTube for the answer. Back in the day this forum was awesome, and was the sole reason why I learned to mix. I thought it was super awesome getting all this information from these knowledgeable minds, this place really was a gold mine for me. I was just a kid though, and YouTube wasn't around yet, but I bet if it was I would have never found this place.

I think that's really what it comes down to.. it's just a new generation and different era. Times are a-changin'.