Is it just me or...

azistenostora

Feb 9, 2009
Tatooine (aka Milton Keynes)
Is this forum slowly dying? Well dying might be a bit strong but when was the last time I've seen Ola, SkinnyViking, Lasse or Felix or any of the old ones post something? (Yeah I know, they probably have lives too ...)
I keep checking every couple of days but the same old posts are still there after days with no replies. In the good old days I used to post something and in two hours it was at the bottom of the page.
Call me paranoid but I had this feeling for a while now. Where did they all go? Or am I wrong?

I've been feeling this way lately as well. I feel like part of the reason that some of the greats don't post anymore is because they get less out of the forum in return. When you see a lot of the same discussions being rehashed then there isn't much incentive for the more professional users to stick around. Idk.

Do people actually use the sneap forum facebook group? All I tend to see is people linking youtube videos and posting ads for reamping services etc...

This is exactly what I thought these last weeks. Although I'm not an "old" sneaper, I could see the forum slowly declining. I think Lasse and the other advanced mixers/producers have already answered and shared pretty much everything the major part of us could ask for. Absolutely no offense but there are more and more beginners (and I was part of it!) asking about what amp sim is better atm and less guys with more relevant questions or interesting experiences to share with actual micing technique just to give an example. As a guy trying to improve my recording/mixing skill, I find it's pretty useless and boring to listen to Metal Machine/TSE X50 stuff. Again, no pretention from myself here!! It just that if I feel that way, the advanced mixers/producers must feel much worst about that!

Also I find that 'the practice room' becoming more and more 'the rate my cover room' is pretty annoying. But that might be just me...

I've been a registered user since the early '13 (of course a lurker before that) and there has been a steady decline of active posts and posters of value for the whole time. I almost posted a thread asking the very same questions about a year ago..

And due to reading the forum almost inside out, the whole decline started way before my joining. I really hope we can muster up better converstations and questions in the future. I still visit the page every day, not ten times in an hour like before though.

Forum > Facebook.

Well the fact about every technical topic as been discussed several times in the past makes it logical that there are less and less new posts!
I've been reading the forum for quite a while before signing up and even after have not been posting a lot because of that exact reason : I don't want to flood the forum with useless stuff...
On the other hand obviously I'd like the forum to be more active, unfortunately I'm part of the beginner side of the forum and would love to have more finished productions (ithout the same overused drum samples everyone has/not my kemper for reamping) but as for now it's quite not possible...
Anyways I still read about everything that is posted around here except for a lot of the covers stuff as I'm not into what most people cover (metalcore/deathcore stuff), and hope I'll be able to contribute more in the future!

We need to contribute more and share more regardless of the amount of active people. My little grain of salt would be myself posting a shit ton of drum samples , and reply more when people ask for opinions. It's quiet common this days when people ask for advice and opinions they have like 1 reply. I do that too, read a thread and leave without replying.Feedback between members is a big key to keep things alive.
I don't like facebook groups at all to be honest .

Reactions: MetalAges
I agree with you man. I have to reply to threads myself as well. And yeah, Facebook sucks.

I consider myself an oldie around here. (A crazy, bitter one.) I have wanted to reply to this thread but I have held back because I haven't been sure what to say. Clearly attendance is down here, and I think most of the reasons listed above are good ones. And after a lot of thinking this is what I've decided:

The biggest reason this forum is dying is because it is no longer difficult to get a polished sounding recording.

There have been a lot of home recording innovations that make you sound really good really quickly, including some stuff Andy has been part of. And I think the knockout punch was the Kemper. That really shattered the need to spend hours trying to figure out why you can't get a good tone out of your 5150 and mesa cab for a lot of us.

At any rate, I am still hooked to this forum even though there is not a whole lot going on. Just wish Andy would post here more often.

The biggest reason this forum is dying is because it is no longer difficult to get a polished sounding recording.

But the fact is, that there is more to good sound than the know-how to get polished sound. I feel like there are tons of stuff untouched, still.

There was also a respect issue at one point as well for people who knew what the fuck they were talking about.

What happened?

I completely agree with most of this however I wouldn't just blame the Kemper. I reckon about 80% of the Sneapsters these days are 14 year old kids recording on a pod and can't afford a Kemper.
I do agree though that modern technology and especially youtube make a forum like this obsolete for most bedroom warriors.

If you think that polished sound is using VST´s everywhere, yeah that´s easy. Quite easy but people who really love to mix and want something more also want something that in the end sounds organic rather than polished.

The thing is that vst´s dominate a big majority of metal market nowadays and people who have real knowledge dont lose time here sharing what they know because in the end, mixing vst´s is quite uninteresting.

Reactions: rapucore
I'd like to add that I think changing the main page to "Andy Sneap content only" was a mistake. It should have stayed as a general discussion, that page has barely moved since the change. Having a healthy main page is quite important to lure in new users. The few new threads that are posted there have often been misplaced by new users and they have then been welcomed by aggressive, unhelpful replies to post in the correct sub.

Reactions: scorpio01169