Is it just me? when playing live, do CoB tune all the songs from "something wild" up?

john123

New Metal Member
Nov 25, 2007
well originally, they were played in C# standard tuning for guitar, but i noticed that they are playing them a semitone higher in D standard on the chaos ridden years dvd, because i also noticed that alexi didn't switch guitars meaning he still was in D standard and i'm not sure about the other shows, but this is what i can hear on the dvd. Is it because they don't have enough guitars to tune down to C# standard? or is it just not convenient?

actually no its not /thread.

nowadays they do tune those songs up to D and just play them the way they are written but back in 1998 and a bit into 1999 before hatebreeder came out they played them all in C# including downfall and children of bodom. pretty obvious but i just wanted to add that in, you can see it happening if you go on youtube and look for the st petersburg 98 clips that people have uploaded.

Yikes that had to be really hard for Janne having to learn the songs a semi-tone lower/higher on the keys

He doesn't, he re-tunes the keyboard.

You can play the E key and make it sound an E note, or you can play an E key and make it sound a C# note. It's exactly how Alexi plays in D standard tuning but we still say Hate Me! is in Emin.

in CRY they play it in D minor, originally it's in C# minor

how does janne transpose the keyboard?

and its pretty easy to just play it a semitone higher, because i do it all the time for fun, as i play piano/keyboard, of course it is much easier on the guitar :p just tune the strings down.

on the chaos ridden years dvd, because i also noticed that alexi didn't switch guitars meaning he still was in D standard and i'm not sure about the other shows, but this is what i can hear on the dvd.

He does.

He also change his guitar few time during the show, you can see a technician between 2 song bringing the white one on the dvd.

Last edited by a moderator:
^noob we don't mean drop C we mean full C# for the early bodom stuff (something wild) and tuning guitars up to full D for later songs. so alexi just plays something wild songs in full D

in CRY they play it in D minor, originally it's in C# minor

how does janne transpose the keyboard?

and its pretty easy to just play it a semitone higher, because i do it all the time for fun, as i play piano/keyboard, of course it is much easier on the guitar :p just tune the strings down.

No. He plays in Emin in D standard tuning.

He transposes the keyboard with the transpose function...

Sorry, I wasn't actually gonna answer! :lol: Just a follow up to your statement.

I'll give it a shot....

How many keyboardists does it take to turn on a light?

Four, 1 to play the bass clef, another to play the treble, the third to turn on the switch, and the fourth to mistakenly confuse the pitch-wheel for the light switch.

So lame it is mildly funny :lol:

haha totally caught off guard.
i couldn't imagine transposing a keyboard for a song in your head but i guess if you can tune it normally then it wouldn't be that hard to believe.

I thought Something Wild was in Cis

You think anyone notices if they play it on D, they don't wanna start being divas and switch guitars for every fucking song :lol: Everyone's drunk anyway and really being on a COB gig is like in an earthquake.

Haha, you can transpose notes or entire octaves up or down and that's it.. You can do lots of things with keyboards the question is just how..