is it possible to do this?

MultiM

Jun 28, 2013
Paris, France
Hey :D

I have a zoom G5 and a practice amp, maybe you'll laugh, but I'm really satisfied with the tone I get from this gear, I'm thinking of a way to record my guitar:
Can I buy a mic, shure sm57 for example and a XLR to usb cable and plug the mic to the computer and record in reaper what do you think guys?

Since you have a zoom G5 why not record it's usb output since it acts as an audio interface?
I sincerely doubt you'll get better results by micing a practice amp, but it's your call

Since you have a zoom G5 why not record it's usb output since it acts as an audio interface?
I sincerely doubt you'll get better results by micing a practice amp, but it's your call

It works well as an audio interface, but I like its tone more with an amp

MultiM, Yes a XLR to USB could work for you.
Here are some other lower priced options for you -

ik-multimedia-irig-pre-mic-pre-for-ios-devices
nady-uic-10-usb-interface-cable--10
cme-xcorpio-a-usb-2.0-computer-audio-interface

However, as NecroDM was saying going direct from your Zoom might be the better option. I know you like the sound coming out of your practice amp but since it sounds like your new to recording, I will assume you have not used Cab Impulses...

Your Zoom probably has a Cabinet simulator which may be able to give you some of that natural airy speaker sound that you like coming out of your practice amp. Cab Impulses (IR's) do the same except to my ear are usually much more authentic sounding and give you virtually unlimited options. 1x12,2x12, 4x10, 4x12, and too many combinations of speakers and mics to even begin to list. I would be willing to bet that if you like your tone coming out of a small practice amp, you will absolutely shit yourself when you hear it through an IR. If you are on a budget, you should definitely do some research into these before you buy any additional equipment, and there are an endless number of free ones out there.

Other things to keep in mind, professional and amatuer recordings alike are using multi-tracked guitars, sometimes using differet, amps, ampsims , cabs, mics on each track. And if your recorded tone doesn't sound as heavy and full as you would like, don't forget that the bass guitar and kick drums supply a lot of meat to a heavy sound. Your guitar tone will usually sound way better when it is accompanied by these.

I have tried many different "line to usb" interfaces in the past including the peavey Xport but haven't found any that come any near to the quality i require... But I recently purchased the Playstation 3 game "Rocksmith 2014" and it came with a line to usb cable, so I decided to test it out on my mac even though that's not what it's meant for. Surprisingly it works Much better than some of the more expensive stuff I've tried in the past, with no noticeable noise or latency when plugged straight into your computer and recorded in reaper. It's only 30$ on amazon, so if you're looking for a cheap but pretty decent way to record a DI guitar or bass straight to reaper I'd recommend it. Paired with a good amp sim like the x50 or Scuffham S-gear it should sound better than what you're currently using :D

Some of you might think it sounds stupid, But I swear it works better than other 75$ products that I've tried!