Is it too late for me?

Deathshade27

New Metal Member
Sep 7, 2015
I will be 24 in about two months. I've been playing guitar for about 8 years, but I quit about 4 years ago, and was never going to go back, but I started again 2 years ago. So I guess that makes them 6 years. I started out with a crappy guitar teacher that used to teach me how to read notation (!) and how to play shitty songs that I despised. I studied with him for 6 months before I decided he wasn't leading me anywhere. After that I couldn't find a good local teacher, so I became self-taught, but never really had a clear direction until I picked up the guitar again 2 years ago. So I bought a few books and started studying whatever I could find on the internet. I also just recently started taking Skype guitar lessons. I'm still just one lesson in, but so far I'm really satisfied with the teacher. Before you say anything about Skype lessons, I've heard this before. In my case, my only option was a Skype teacher. I'm speaking from experience. I prefer online lessons with a good teacher over lessons with a crappy local teacher.

Anyway, due to my social anxiety (it was very severe), I never really had the opportunity to play in bands or even jam with anyone. Two of my friends did play guitar and we used to jam at times, but they never took it seriously like I did, so starting a band with them was impossible. Since 22, I've done a few acoustic shows (cover songs) with anther friend I met about 2 years ago. However, that's not the direction I want. I want to create my own music, and the direction would be, obviously, metal. I've already started writing a few stuff, but whenever I think about my age I become discouraged that I might not be able to make it. I'm not talking about becoming famous. Only writing an album at least, start a band (this will be challenging), and see where it goes. I realize this will take a few years. I still have a lot to study. I mean, sure I can write something now, but I'm heading more the prog route, which will require having quite a bit of theoretical knowledge. Plus I don't want to just write something that would sound crap. I want something that would sound good and that would actually mean something to me.

In additional to what I mentioned above, I also went through a really tough period (depression) from 18 to about 21. During those years I couldn't do anything with my life, basically, and it was during those years that I quit guitar. I know I might have said a bit too much about myself, but it's so you can understand where I come from.

So anyway, I'm currently dedicating almost all of my free time to music. This is something I really really want. I get discouraged every time I think I'm not going to make it, and the thought alone makes me depressed. But then again I have a friend who just released his first album with his band and he's 38. Another member of the band is 40... So, do you think I have a chance?

I dunno why you feel the need to ask, as you obviously do.

Your goal isn't to be the next Justin Bieber so age doesn't mean shit.

I dunno why you feel the need to ask, as you obviously do.

Your goal isn't to be the next Justin Bieber so age doesn't mean shit.

I know, I just feel discouraged sometimes... I guess you're right, age doesn't matter much.

If you want to do it, do it. Don't begin mind on your age and don't let such mind lead as you may regret later do not have dare.

I am 33 and I only started to really learn music and a instrument since a month so the road may be even longer but it isn't important, what is important is do what you like and the pleasure you get of it

Go for it :)

I will be 24 in about two months. I've been playing guitar for about 8 years, but I quit about 4 years ago, and was never going to go back, but I started again 2 years ago. So I guess that makes them 6 years. I started out with a crappy guitar teacher that used to teach me how to read notation (!) and how to play shitty songs that I despised. I studied with him for 6 months before I decided he wasn't leading me anywhere. After that I couldn't find a good local teacher, so I became self-taught, but never really had a clear direction until I picked up the guitar again 2 years ago. So I bought a few books and started studying whatever I could find on the internet. I also just recently started taking Skype guitar lessons. I'm still just one lesson in, but so far I'm really satisfied with the teacher. Before you say anything about Skype lessons, I've heard this before. In my case, my only option was a Skype teacher. I'm speaking from experience. I prefer online lessons with a good teacher over lessons with a crappy local teacher.

Anyway, due to my social anxiety (it was very severe), I never really had the opportunity to play in bands or even jam with anyone. Two of my friends did play guitar and we used to jam at times, but they never took it seriously like I did, so starting a band with them was impossible. Since 22, I've done a few acoustic shows (cover songs) with anther friend I met about 2 years ago. However, that's not the direction I want. I want to create my own music, and the direction would be, obviously, metal. I've already started writing a few stuff, but whenever I think about my age I become discouraged that I might not be able to make it. I'm not talking about becoming famous. Only writing an album at least, start a band (this will be challenging), and see where it goes. I realize this will take a few years. I still have a lot to study. I mean, sure I can write something now, but I'm heading more the prog route, which will require having quite a bit of theoretical knowledge. Plus I don't want to just write something that would sound crap. I want something that would sound good and that would actually mean something to me.

In additional to what I mentioned above, I also went through a really tough period (depression) from 18 to about 21. During those years I couldn't do anything with my life, basically, and it was during those years that I quit guitar. I know I might have said a bit too much about myself, but it's so you can understand where I come from.

So anyway, I'm currently dedicating almost all of my free time to music. This is something I really really want. I get discouraged every time I think I'm not going to make it, and the thought alone makes me depressed. But then again I have a friend who just released his first album with his band and he's 38. Another member of the band is 40... So, do you think I have a chance?

You are putting too much pressure on yourself my friend. If you practice and become a better musician, that is the real goal. Be the best you. I made it big even if nobody knows me. I became a great player and i get a bonner every time I hear myself play. That's the most important thing. Do it for you, do it for your ego. Music is a gift an a therapy , not a contest. To make it is to be happy. Don't quit buddy , relax an good luck.