Is it true Katatonia isn't as good live as on tape?

L0bster said:
I think the critics are true, they cetrainly are not as good live. I'd never thought I say this, but I think they should use sampled backingrtracks, that'd help thickening their livesound. Most bands in their genre use a lot of backingtracks or at least keyboard to get closer to their sound on recordings, I dont think that makes the band less "live". Untrue of course, but well, if you have to be puritanic you shouldnt have such a thick production on the albums in the first place.

out of my way wretched human!

its true...its not the same, it doesnt sound the same no matter what eevery kata lover like me here can say, its the truth, and well, it doesnt mean that its bad....well i loved it, i think its because its not as atmospheric as in cd.thats the diference.

I can't be very objective when judging my fave band's live performances but still i think they rock on stage. It's not easy to see them when you live in Spain so everytime i have the chance to catch them somewhere in Europe i just simply disconnect from the world and try to enjoy the gig to the max. I usually don't pay much attention to the sound or spend the whole gig checking everyone's fingers to see if they make any mistakes so that i can prove that they are not as good live as they are on ceedee. Summing up, if you expect a very active gig with five guys jumping and running on stage, moshing and headbanging, then Katatonia is not your band.
Concerning Katatonia's sound tech. I think he's a good one but if the in-house system in the venue is awful or the venue is a shit itself he can't simply work wonders.

This is just one freak's opinion so no offence!

i aint play this said:
The only Katatonia live performance that i've ever watched was the Krakow show on the dvd and i thought it was awesome, they are kind of shy live, but they do deliver a very intense show.
I actually don't think this DVD is awesome... I saw Kata live twice and I think both times they performed 1000 times better. But I think I'm not objective, cause every time I see Katatonia I'm so impressed I even forget to pic up my jaw from the floor.

Aprilhäxan:
Didnt you see the close-up gig? That one was really pretty weak, excluding Daniel.
I've seen them 4-5 times, and a couple of them has been really good, even with the lowered sonic atmosphere,
close-up was not one of them. that one was also the first gig for that tour, so its fully understandable.

refering to my backingtracks post:
hahahaahah, that wasnt very popular! at least get a third guitarist for the stage then, filling in with 100% GT:ized Atmo-guitars. and for the record, the backing tracks in flames use include stuff like vocals and guitars :erk: , thats one helluva big step to far. cheers.