Is Mindcrime considered to be the greatest metal album of all time?

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
I'm not asking for your opinion on what YOUR favourite album is, but I'm wondering what you would guess to be considered the greatest metal album of all time by the general public.

So you have to take personal subjectivity and sentimental attachment out of the equation.

Without doing any formal survey, I'm thinking it's got to be "Operation Mindcrime". Other than the heaps of admiration it gets, it's popular enough to be known by lots of people and plus it spans genres. I mean, even many 'death metal only' freaks seem to respect this album a great deal.

Your guess?

I'd say the general public would say Black Sabbath's Paranoid, but it may be too old for most to even contemplate it.

I disagree. The vast majority would probably say something stereotypical like "Master of Puppets", "The Black Album" (although it's metallic content is debatable) and "The Number of The Beast"

Never heard Operation Mindcrime, but I think it's only famous in USA, and not Europe. I guess that Master Of Puppets by Metallica is considered to be the greatest metal album of all time, everyone digs that album, even persons who're not into metal in the first place. I think it pretty much sucks, though.

if a poll were to be had, the number of votes from the general public that mindcrime would get would likely be very far below something like Master of puppets, or number of the beast, probably a lot of votes for reign in blood too

GOOGLE SEARCH!

Metal-Rules: http://www.metal-rules.com/polls/top100/top100.htm (far too much power metal on this)
1. Master of Puppets
2. Number of the Beast
3. Ride the Lightning
4. Back In Black
5. Reign In Blood

Some weird site: http://www.networkofminds.com/networkofminds/charts.cfm?chart=download_metal

1. Evanescence "Fallen"
2. A Perfect Circle "eMOTIVe"
3. Hoobastank "The Reason"
4. Rammstein "Reise, Reise"
5. Guns N' Roses "Greatest Hits"
6. Slipknot "Vol. 3: The Subliminal Verses"
7. Korn "Greatest Hits Vol. 1"
8. Metallica "St. Anger"
9. Marilyn Manson "Lest We Forget"
10. Nightwish "Once"

EWWWW

some dude: (hey, he agrees with JayK's theory!)
http://www.pitriff.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Reviews&file=index&req=showcontent&id=286
1. Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime
2. Metallica - Ride the Lightning
3. Iron Maiden - Piece of Mind
4. AC/DC - Back In Black
5. Metallica - Master of Puppets
6. Judas Priest - Screaming For Vengeance
7. Ozzy Osbourne - Blizzard of Ozz
8. Def Leppard - High 'n Dry
9. Dio - Holy Diver
10. Black Sabbath - Paranoid
11. Van Halen - Van Halen
12. Nevermore - Dead Heart In A Dead World
13. AC/DC - Highway To Hell
14. Ozzy Osbourne - Diary of a Madman
15. Scorpions - Blackout

Yeah, metal-rules had it at #11. I was surprised they didn't at least put it in the top 5.

That pitriff.com list might be pretty reflective of general public tastes...at least the top 10 anyway.

Greatest album of all time? Its a damn good album, but thats stretching it a bit isnt it? When you have The Beatles, Cream, King Crimson, Pink Floyd etc etc etc; and then Queensryche? Its not as if they influenced anyone, or created a new sound or genre, and I think that is the most important thing

For me it would consist of these five albums in no order:
Reign in Blood
South of Heaven
Black Sabbath s/t
Ace of Spades
To Mega Therion

I think they are all quite influential and excellent. South of Heaven is probably the weak link influentially, but my personal fave.

I think it would definitely be in the top 25 in a Rolling Stone best metal albums list, yes. Master of Puppets would probably make the top spot. Both good but not great albums.

I think most metal critics would say the greatest metal album of all time would be 'Reign in Blood' or 'Master of Puppets'. 'Number of the Beast' and 'Paranoid' would be fair assessments as well. I seriously doubt any real metal critic would say 'Operation Mindcrime' is the greatest metal album of all time . . . maybe top 10, probably top 25.

i dont understand why so many feel the need to rank everything. Its a sign of a feeble mind and little culture. Maybe in 50 years we can rank this shit; after metal has totally died out--and it is dying. I do think the 70's and early 80's are far enough away that the truly great albums can be ascertained, as there really hasnt been much improvement to Thrash, power, NWOBHM since the early 90's.

I just saw a best shred guitar list on blabbermouth, and I think one can point to the best 30 or so albums--as the shred guitar age is totally through, and the oldest album on the list was 1992. No one can do anything more with the style, it is totally dead.

I'd estimate I've seen Master Of Puppets and Paranoid (never Master Of Reality or SBS, naturally enough) appear on more mainstream best of lists, both metal and non-genre specific, than any other...Midcrime hasn't quite acheived that iconic status, although it is arguably the most famous concept album in all of metal and a definitive album of the 80s...I think it became an instant classic partly because it represented an intelligent alternative to the nadir of hair metal.

Demonspell said:
I'd estimate I've seen Master Of Puppets and Paranoid (never Master Of Reality or SBS, naturally enough) appear on more mainstream best of lists, both metal and non-genre specific, than any other...Midcrime hasn't quite acheived that iconic status

Really? I wonder if that's simply because Black Sabbath and Metallica became bigger than their actual releases. They are icons partly for who they are, not for what they released IMO.

Queensryche? I bet most people couldn't even name a band member without looking it up.

Chris DeGarmo appears on one of the few masterpieces of the 2000's, Jerry Cantrell's Degradation Trip Vols. 1 & 2. :)

Geoff Tate has a funny voice.

The other dudes.... I dunno.