Is opeth influenced by jethro toll ?

CF87

Dec 15, 2003
I was listening to black rose immortal in my room earlier today. My dad knocked on my door hearing whatever section during the song, he said the music sounded like jethro toll. I'm just curious what are all the bands influences in metal and non metal.

Sorry if this infleunces thing has been discussed before. A lot of threads get pushed back fast here.

My Dad.. well most peoples parents I know seem to try to come in like "hey these guys have been around for years balahab lah" if it's something like Jethro Tull or any 70's band.. as if WOAH MAN CATCH UP!
And they seem to try to make comparisons with anything that has "been around for years" just to appear like know it alls when somethings unknown to them.
At least that's what my Dad does.

Jethro Tull are awesome. I can imagine that the guys would be fans, don't really know though. But like Joe said, if Mike had them in his playlist once, then they probably influenced the guys a bit.

Jethro Tull is a great band, and happens to be my dad's favorite band. Pretty funny, whenever JT comes up, people start talking about their dads.

Scourge of Malice said:
Yes because you're the only person that has ever heard of that album. I bow down to you.

i wasnt referring to you. but i honestly think youd find it staggering how many people here DON'T know that album. but the popularity of that album in conjunction with the forum's ignorance is the irony i was pointing out, i certainly dont think i was the only person ever to know about it. :Smug:

but thanks for looking like a moron, i had some hope for you at one time. but now you can get in line with the others. plz kthx

Pethical said:

Thick as a Brick = FTW

My Dad reckons they sound a lot like King Crimson as well. Which is pretty true, especially considering there's a riff that's played a fair few times in Wreath which sounds so similar to the chorus to "In the Court of the Crimson King".

Jethro Tull owns... too bad they turned into Judas Priest in the 80's...

..."snot running down his nose"... lol... some great lyrics right there...

It's funny people are talking about Jethro Tull.

Is it just me or does Mikael's clean vocals on part of "Ghost of Perdition" bear a striking resemblance to Ian Anderson? As soon as it got to the part that goes, "Darkness by her side, spoke and passed her by" etc. I instantly thought of Ian Anderson.

And I also noticed a striking resemblance to David Gilmour's voice on "Credence". Funny how I discovered that Mikael thanks David Gilmour in the liner notes for MAYH.

And Thick As A Brick is by far my favorite Tull record.