Listening to Orchid and Morningrise made me evolve as an Opeth-fan and listener

Ninfix

Gamer of life
Nov 30, 2007
Oslo, Norway
Ninfix evolved to --> Opeth listener lvl 5! I considder lvl 5 the highest level of a listener you can get.

Haha, no seriously, read this and help me in maing sense.

When I started off as an Opeth-fan, I first heard The Grand Conjuration, then I bought Ghost Reveries. I listened to the album, and enjoyed it, to a certain point. It was new, weird and yet very interesting. *Ninfix became Opeth listener lvl 1!*

Then I youtubed and googled the band to check out videos, biography, facts, dicography and so on, and started talking to other Opeth-fans discussing the band. Being a newbie, I always said "The Grand Conjuration is their best song" and shit like that, and was replied to with shit like "No, wtf, it's Blackwater Park!". I was like wtf but what the hell. Then I got to hear Blackwater Park, and other songs, and realized why they had said this about the song. Bought the album right away. This was new and amazing music! *Ninfix evolved to Opeth listener lvl 2!*

Because of my new aspect of the band, I listened to Arjen Lucassen recommending the Damnation album on the making-of documentary for The Human Equation, where he said that it was a mellow album. I bought it, gave it a try and slept through the night with Windpowpane and such floating through the room for months. After a while, I bought Deliverance, Still Life and along came Watershed. The new drummer and the fact that I got to see the band live made me a much bigger fan of the band than before. Still Life crushed everything I had ever heard in my life, and that's when *Ninfix evolved to Opeth listener lvl 3!*

Opeth was now my number 1 favorite band in the world, but I felt there was something missing, still. I knew I hadn't heard the three first albums yet, and I got My Arms, Your Hearse for christmas 08. This was another revelation for me. The sound and heavyness of this album was overwhelming, and I thought I couldn't appreciate their music more than I had done then. *Ninfix evolved to Opeth listener lvl 4*

I hope you guys see where I'm going with this. I've listened to them when in every emotional state imaginable (except perhaps suicidal). Once when I was at home, I actually started weeping when my friend called me from and Opeth-concert when they played Godhead's Lament, and when my girlfriend asked me what was wrong, I just sobbed childishly and said "They played my favorite song!"("De spælte yndlingssangen min!"). Haha, this proved my love to Opeth in a twisted, non-metal way :rofl:

I've listened to only Orchid and Morningrise for a while now. And today I started listening to my favorites again, and I must say; they've got some sort of new energy added to them! Some parts that are heavy, but not skull-crunshing heavy, that I've not really taken that good a notice to before(sorry for that poorly phrased sentence) are now absolutely amazing, thanks to In The Mist She Was Standing and Black Rose Immortal. Two very good examples are 5:52 on Godhead's Lament and 7:37 on Ghost of Perdition. It's simply outstanding!

And thanks to me realizing this earlier today, *Ninfix evolved to Opeth listener lvl 5!*

AND, I would like to say now that I apoligize if all you want to do is burn me for writing this endless post of nonsense, but I got the energy of writing this as an appreciation towards Opeth when I leveled up.

Anyway, that's all I had to say. Let me know if you feel something simillar or if I just messed up this forum just a little more :headbang:

lol.. dude, you did the opposite of what i did :p I started listening to Forest Of October (coz my friends were rehearsing it next door), then bought a whole compilation of Opeth albums, an MP3, apart from deliverance and Ghost Reveries (coz this one wasn't out yet). as I always do, i listen to the albums chronologically, i noticed the evolution of Opeth over years by each line up, maybe that's why now i believe that they are stronger, even tho i've never seen them live (yet). And yeah i think it's kinda childish to weep (under the weeping moon) coz they were playing Godhead's lament :p

Congratulations! I don't know why, but the majority of Opeth fans somehow don't like Orchid or Morningrise. I'm glad you got into both. God, ever since I got into those two albums, I turned into MUCH better listener, and I enjoy every single bit of the albums. They are serene, they are soft, they have their climaxes (omg :worship: ), they have everything, and the lyrics fit. Epic albums.

I'd say the best songs in Orchid are In Mist She Was Standing and The Apostle in Triumph (there was a tie between the other ones, I couldn't choose :p), and in the Morningrise album, I'd say the best ones are Advent, Black Rose Immortal, and To Bid You Farewell. Black Rose Immortal is epic (not because it's long, mind you LOL).

Srsly..

The Apostle in Triumph
Forest of October
Advent

first two albums are great! it's a shame that the community doesn't like them more.

Well I personally dislike the albums a lot but I should give them a try again I suppose. I do appreciate certain riffs here and there though and I'd really like to hear some more twin guitar melodies in the future...

That's one thing I forgot about the older albums. The double guitars are awesome. Especially the opening riff on The Night and The Silent Water. *Janice-voice*Oh, my, God!

I think that is very difficult to get to like Opeth's first albums if you just discovered them a couple of years ago.

^ did you post on the wrong thread, or i am a count coz i didn't get the point? :D

im talking about ppl saying it took them years and years to "get it". sure, some music needs to settle in for a few listens before you start liking it, but to this extent? :erk: I think not

ur a count

The%2BCount.jpg

im talking about ppl saying it took them years and years to "get it". sure, some music needs to settle in for a few listens before you start liking it, but to this extent? :erk: I think not

I'm just deep(like your mom) and have a complex way of letting myself enjoy the music 100% :Smokin: