Orchid and Morningrise

I love all Opeth albums, but consider BP their best. For some time i couldn't understand these 2 albums. They are DIFFERENT than BP or even MAYH. I couldn't get into them for almost 2 years despite listening to a lot of different metal styles.And lately i finally started to understand them. First of all, production on them is very different, raw. If i didn't know it was them, i swear i wouldn't have guessed that it was Opeth! That's how different they sounded back in '95-'96. A mixture of death metal, folk, black metal vocals and a glimpse of a future Opeth sound put together...Bass guitar is more in the front of music than on later albums (kinda reminds me of Spiral Architect a little bit). Now i just love those albums and even BRI (lol)...:)

I love Forest of October
In mist she was standing
Nectar
Black Rose Immortal
To bid you farwell

they are my fav's O and Apostle in truimph..

Well i guess I just love the whole albums

my first two albums....i dont listen to them as much as i used to (esp. orchid)...but they are both amazingly heavy and raw...thats why i like them

Orchid is an insane debut album from the (then) young guys of Opeth. IMO, Opeth didn't grow musically...they just *changed* a bit. I find Orchid just as musically satisfying as their lastest Ghost Reveries. Morningrise just made this point even more obvious.

What you need to do is get really really baked and listen to these 2 albums on headphones. Then you will see the light :p

the first opeth album that i listened to was MAYH, and at first i didn't like it all that much. but soon i bought morningrise and did i fall in love with that album on first listen! only then i listened to MAYH more carefully i guess. now MAYH is probably my favorite opeth album. even though i listen to morningrise less than MAYH or ghost reveries, it's still one of my favorites. orchid is superb too. the bass sound is really cool on both morningrise and orchid and for a while i really missed it (on MAYH and still life). i soon got used to it though. mendez is great.

ashes_against_the_grain said:
I love all Opeth albums, but consider BP their best. For some time i couldn't understand these 2 albums. They are DIFFERENT than BP or even MAYH. I couldn't get into them for almost 2 years

[...]

together...Bass guitar is more in the front of music than on later albums (kinda reminds me of Spiral Architect a little bit). Now i just love those albums and even BRI (lol)...:)

I totally agree with all of the above.

It took me several listenings to understand Morningrise, but the first record I liked at once
really. Morningrise seem a bit thin musically sometimes, at least compared to the later works.

morningrise and orchid are amazing albums, and take places 2&3 respectively in my top 3 favourite opeth albums :D

It actually took me longer to get into MAYH than Orchid or Morningrise. But then again, I started listening to Opeth with Orchid. I fell in love with the album instantly, and bought Morningrise immediatelly when it had been released, and listened it to pieces as well. When MAYH came out, I was like "WTF?!?" and put it aside for quite a while before I listened to it again. Now I really enjoy all albums.