Bought Morningrise...

dreaming neon darkspot

natures' retard
May 13, 2002
in times of grace
Found it at the store at a "marked-down" price of $17. Tried to comprehend why exactly I was finding one of the earlier and harder-to-find Opeth cds in a large Maryland music store chain. Figured that I'd better not question my extremely good luck. Realized that it was fated for me to buy this cd. Bought it. Took it home. Listened to it. Listened to it again. And again. And again... And all I have to say is... FUCKING AMAZING! Such a great cd. Probobly my favorite Opeth cd (but I still have to get Still Life).

~Laura

probably FYE... or even Sam Goody... FYE always had to upper hand on "underground" stuff, but Sam Goody is starting to catch up... even if its carrying more "mainstream" acts like Immolation, Decapitated, Impaled, etc..

chaveta said:
probably FYE... or even Sam Goody... FYE always had to upper hand on "underground" stuff, but Sam Goody is starting to catch up... even if its carrying more "mainstream" acts like Immolation, Decapitated, Impaled, etc..
I got my Morningrise, BWP, D1/D2 at FYE, and MAYH and Still Life I ordered through a local record shop. I'm still in search of Orchid, I'll probably get it from Amazon or Ebay.

Wow! 17 bucks was the marked down price, payed 13 for my copy, and got used copies of MAYH, SL and BWP for 10 bucks each. God it must suck to not have a couple of good indie record stores around. We have a decent one here in Santa Cruz, but back in Berkeley there are two excellent indie record stores (Ameoba and Rasputins) which have new CD's at lower prices (got the new Arch Enemy for 12 and the old Emperor albums for 10) and tons of used CDs. Anyways I got kind of off topic there. I'm glad you managed to find a copy of that album, its truly a work of art. I find its one of those album I learn to love more and more over time (especaily as I delve into the conections between the music and the lyrics as I have been doing latly) which is saying something as its already my favorite metal album. Definatly work on finding Still Life, cuz thats one of Opeth's best works.

If you refer to Immolation as mainstream again, I shall beat you with a stick, sir.

But anyway... Yeah, I got the Morningrise cd at FYE, which explains why $17 was a "marked-down" price.
Blackwater Park, my first Opeth cd, I got at Best Buy. Enough said there.
Orchid, I got at Record & Tape Traders, which is this very cool local music store. They have an extensive heavy metal section full of bands that I've never even heard of, so that's very promising. That cd was $21, though, because it was an import and it had "Into the Frost of Winter" on it.
My Arms Your Hearse I got at FYE, too. I guess they're so well-stocked because it's a really big store.
Deliverance I got at Record & Tape Traders, during their big New Years sale last year.
Out of all of them, Morningrise is definatly my favorite. The progressivness of the music and the imagery in the lyrics... to me, it sounds like a concept album about the narrator loosing his love and lamenting and coping with it. Beautiful lyrics, I think...

~Laura

There's a difference between being mainstreem and being known...

Besides, I think Opeth is a tad more popular than Immolation.

Yeah FYE has ridiculous prices, none-the-less, glad you could find Morningrise:)

Grey-Skies said:
Not really. I see Blackwater Park, Damnation & Deliverance at a lot of places, but I never see Still Life, MAYH, or Morningrise anywhere!

Still Life was a bitch to find in stores around here, I finally found it a couple of years ago when Hastings (similar to Best Buy, only books rather than appliances) closed. Everything else was easy to find, for me at least.

I've seen every Opeth album aside from Still Life at the FYE's around here....

But I don't understand why it's such a chore for people to find the CDs at a decent price, The End has them all for no more than $12.

I once went into this random music store once. Wasn't a hole in the wall but it wasn't a chain...sorta in the middle. Their selection blew, but I persevered. Went to the used section and found they had a metal section specifically labeled in the used section. Not that much great stuff there either, but, wait...what's this? Orchid?! I did not own this cd yet as it's hard to find...but there it was. For 8 dollars (US). I bought it of course, and after opening it find it to not only be the original version (no bonus tracks or anything) but it's in perfect condition. Not a single scratch. Why would anyone sell this thing? I have no idea...but that's how I got my copy of Orchid.

I found all the Opeth CDs at two local FYE CD stores in the local mall. By the way, i also have just picked up Morningrise, and I agree that it is becoming my favorite Opeth CD more and more after each listen. :)