Is Seventh Wonder capable……..

Kazar

SW-moderator
May 14, 2007
Is Seventh Wonder capable……..

……of making the 3 best consecutive albums ever?

Of course, this question is only relevant to you if you think that the last two albums are among the best albums you ever heard! Maybe your answer is; “They already did!”. That’s possible, ‘Become’ is of course a part of Seventh Wonder’s discography as well. To me however, SW’s masterpieces started with ‘Waiting In The Wings’.

There are a lot of bands that made some awesome records in the past. It’s hard to top or match an album though that many consider to be a masterpiece or even a classic.

To me, a couple of bands made two awesome consecutive albums but the third one never reached the same level. Here are just a few;
* Shadow Gallery – the second and third are great releases, but I’m not too fond of (the first) and fourth (‘Room V’ was great again though).
* Symphony X – the last two albums are great but I just cant get into ‘V’,
* Sonata Arctica – ‘Ecliptica’ and ‘Silence’ are awesome albums but ‘Winterheart’s Guild’ just misses something.

At the moment, to me Dream Theater is the band that made the 3 best consecuvite albums.
I’m having a hard time though figuring out which 3 are the best;
- I&W, Awake and Falling Into Infinity
- Metropolis 2, SDOIT and Train of Thought
- SDOIT, Train of Thought and Octavarium.

I think I have to go with the first option – there are some awesome songs on FII.

Is Seventh Wonder capable........YES, they are!
Let's wait and see...

So, what are your thought on this matter?
What are your 3 best consecutive albums ever AND do you think that Seventh Wonder is capable of changing that?

I don't agree about Shadow Gallery, they've done ONLY masterpieces. SG's debut is a piece of music most of men could never suppose to create.

Good topic man! I had never thought about it....
Sounds to me that SW IV will be awsome and I do agree that Become is not as amaizing as the other two are, allthough it is a very good album.
I think Dream Theater wrote all masterpieces till Octavarium, excepting Falling into Infinity which has great songs but is not at the level of the others as an album, thing that happens with the latest two CDs.
Well, I cant stop from naming the first band that comes into my mind when talking about masterpieces and regularity (despite the fact that I know some people here wont like this name and will want to kill me haha): The Beatles

:)

Just my humble opinion people hehehe
Dont hate me

This is a really good question and topic... Of course can SW make it with this record ! but this quastion make me think about other band/artist that had make it before and one that really made it is Pink Floyd : DSoTM, WYWH & Animals is really hard the beat in my opinion

This thread is supposed to be a little fun, nothing more and nothing less. The examples I gave are my taste and my taste alone.
There's no need to be so touchy, failure_of_threads.
There's a lot of negativity coming from your post, that's really not nessecary.

@Frankgate
I really do like some songs on the first Shadow Gallery but the production of that album was not good at all and the drumcomputer that was used is just not my cup of tea. I listen to the other SG-albums a lot though, they are a great band. I'm thinking about going to ProgPower just to see SG.

@Frankgate
I really do like some songs on the first Shadow Gallery but the production of that album was not good at all and the drumcomputer that was used is just not my cup of tea. I listen to the other SG-albums a lot though, they are a great band. I'm thinking about going to ProgPower just to see SG.

Of course, SG's debut is almost a demo, in fact Mike Varney wanted the album to come out ASAP to follow Dream Theater's success, so it didn't have an actual production. They just recorded the demo. Anyway, the MUSIC contained in that CD is magnificent, magical, it touches your heart :)

So, Frankgate, what IS your choice regarding the three consecutive albums?
I assume three SG-albums will be mentioned, but I'm curious which 3.

So, Frankgate, what IS your choice regarding the three consecutive albums?
I assume three SG-albums will be mentioned, but I'm curious which 3.

In my opinion SG have 6 albums in a row :D

Symphony X too, they have 3 o 4

Dream Theater 3 albums (of course, their first three albums)

I'm sure Seventh Wonder as well could match that goal.

I have total confidence that the new SW album will once again be a winner! For me, the bass lines, the proggy rhythms and most of all Tommy's amazing vocal style is what makes SW stand out to me. I've been listening to the last 2 albums straight through over the last couple of days and trying to learn the lyrics a bit more, which are at times really touching. Simply can't wait to see these guys perform at ProgPower in...a little over 4 months!!

Iron Maiden : Number of the Beast, Piece of Mind, Powerslave...at least. You could easily continue that straightflush with Killers...or Somewhere in Time and Seventh Son...:)

Also my vote goes to our own Leverage: Tides, Blind Fire and Circus Colossus.:headbang:

And yes, SW will do another great album, so that will be the third...

I can't say that any one of Ayreon's albums is not a masterpiece. Maybe 0100110 falls a little short, but the rest is top-notch. The other one is the first three Axenstar albums.

Hi, Hope nobody minds if I bring in some oldies. After all, I'm 44 and most of my beloved albums are in the early and mid-70's, while they should be in the 80's - I was a bit too young to discover them all in the 70's, yet.
I'd say :
- Pink Floyd : Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, Animals.. and one could well add "The Wall" as the 4th in a row.
- Queen : I think the 5 first are great, even though "Sheer Heart Attack" is slightly less good. so I'd mention : "A Night at The Opera", "A Day At the Races" and "News of The World", although the latter is also a tad weaker. Hard to compare as it starts a change of musical direction too.
- Shadow Gallery.. Huh, I'd say that the FIVE first ones are masterpieces... Even if I do enjoy it very much "Tyranny" is the one that I liked the least, until they released Digital Ghosts, but without Mike Baker and with this singer, things will never be the same for me. I am not fond of him while I absolutely loved Mike Baker.
- Jethro Tull : Songs from the Wood, Heavy Horses and the stupidly underrated Stormwatch.
- Marillion : I'd say the three first ones : Script for a Jester's Tear, Fugazi and above all, Misplaced Childhood.
- Led Zeppelin : Led Zeppelin III, Led Zeppelin IV and Houses of the Holy ! One might well add the 2 first two albums too !
- Iron Maiden : "Powerslave", "Somewhere in Time" and, above all, "7th Son of a 7th Son".
I could probably mention a couple of other bands who achieved very good consecutive albums, I guess but well they're so little known anyway..... hard to say the 3 best albums with most bands were made in a row over their career... and probably it's good that way !

As for Seventh Wonder, I preferred "Become" to "Waiting in the Wings" at first (probably because I preferred the less compressed and less powerful sound of "Become") but I quickly changed my mind because of the vocals, mainly, which are superior. Even the recording is clearer, in the end. Musically, they are more or less on par, I think. "Mercy Falls" is as good as "Waiting in the Wings" but not better, I'm afraid... I think there are a few un-needed repetitions of rhythms and patterns on this very long album. I've got high expectations for the next one, and I do think it might well be better than all the others.
Marc

As for Seventh Wonder, I preferred "Become" to "Waiting in the Wings" at first (probably because I preferred the less compressed and less powerful sound of "Become") but I quickly changed my mind because of the vocals, mainly, which are superior. Even the recording is clearer, in the end. Musically, they are more or less on par, I think. "Mercy Falls" is as good as "Waiting in the Wings" but not better, I'm afraid... I think there are a few un-needed repetitions of rhythms and patterns on this very long album. I've got high expectations for the next one, and I do think it might well be better than all the others.
Marc

Well, Mercy Falls was a grower, imho. Just a few tracks stroke immediately, but the album grew little by little and now I love it as a whole. And I wouldn't throw away a single minute of all 74. :)

Now I expect 10 songs, 70 minutes :heh:

Nah Twilight in Olympus was excellent. They should have been allowed more time to work on it though. :(

Yeah, I think that was part of the reason the album sounded kind of immature when compared to Divine Wings. However, the music that was to be the title track was used for V, so at least it didn't go to waste.

As for Seventh Wonder, Become has some REALLY good songs on it. However, sometimes I just can't get into the vocals - I really wish Tommy sang on this one! If he did, SW would have a 3-in-a-row combo of awesomeness.