Is there a way to get a "decent" kick sound from "typical" mics?

guitarguru777

Nov 13, 2003
Las Vegas
www.jasonconstantine.com
I have been going back over some of my recordings and I really feel at this point the only think my "tracking" lacks is really good kicks. Now I do realise I should probably go dump a few hundres on a Beta 52 or D6 but at the moment sitting here staring at what mics I do have I am wondering if there is a way to get decent sounding kicks out of a 57 or 58.

I do have a set of drum mics I use when doing sound in local clubs. Its a cheap pair of Digital Reference mics from guitar center that was $100. Every time I record or mic live a kick drum with it I just get this nasty nasty kick sound.

Also what are you doing to reduce snare bleed into the kick track?

I have just been going back and removing and kick hit that has a snare on top of it like during double bass sections, blasts, fills and replacing it with a good kick hit with nothing behind it. Its been a total bitch.

Here is an example of what I am talking about with how my kicks just sound HORRIBLE when I record them. I want to stop having to rely on Triggering to get a decent kick sound. I would rather get a good source then trigger as needed to get it to sound GREAT if needed.

www.jasoncohenitservices.com/kicks.wav

I am just finding it really hard to get a good or even decent kick sound any time I mic a kit.

honestly dude. Get something like the D6. You won't look back, end of story. After I got to muck around with one for about a day, i just drooled. :)
that way you won't be wondering what could work etc, you'll know you have something that can do the job in and out top to bottom time and time again

I remember a few people got some decent kicks going using a sm57er, but it did take ALOT of eqing to get sounding good.

I guess a thing you could do is to try getting some good smack/mid range with your 57er and then blend with the low end of something like a slate sample.. so while you still a using a sample you would still have your "own" sound.

Or D112 if you aren't terrified of subbass :)

D112 sounds like utter shit. Terribleeeeee.

If we're talking metal, get a D6 or an e902.
Beta91 or an M88 sound pretty good too, but kinda out there. I think the former really needs a subkick too, the M88 needs a lot of mid-scooping but it produces a really cool character in the highs/highmids.

Here's a clip of a raw e902:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/324723/KickRaw.mp3

Yikes!! That is a pretty er... sub-optimal kick sound.

Personally I have Shure Beta 52. It's not the best kick mic, but it is still pretty good. I get decent kick tones with it. I got mine 2nd hand, and I think it only cost me about £60.

Just wondering...why didnt anyone refer him to Glenn's metal drums sticky thread?? That stuff is covered in there. I read through it again yesterday!
When other people ask about metal drum production, usually the response is "Jeez Asshole, read the sticky on it duh". In this thread theres no mention of that...why is that?
Dont get me wrong, I like Guitarguru777!! Im just wondering why he didnt get that response. I know if there was another (maybe newer) person's thread asking metal drum questions, it would be "Can you read? use your eyes and read the sticky on it. Its been asked 3000 times".

The metal drum sticky thread does have a wealth of info on the subject.

+1...Starting with a properly tuned kick with decent heads, damping and the right beater, played by someone who knows, is sometimes the part over looked when it comes to getting a great natural sound.

+1

tune the kick pretty low, I really cant stand kicks being tuned too high. get one or 2 heavy pillows in there against the beater skin. plastic or wooden beater. mic position vary's a lot, but try different positions from inside the drum a couple of inches back, to just pointing in the hole.

D6 helps a lot for metal too.