Is there a way to get a "decent" kick sound from "typical" mics?

I'm also a big fan of the D6, but if you have the opportunity to get your hands on a 421 try putting that about 6 inches away from the beater. If I could afford it I'd mic up a kit with nothing but 421's and a couple condensers. Also, I'm new here so hi everyone.

Is it bad that I really like the sound of the original sample?
Sounds like someone hitting a mattress with a bit of wood really hard, shit rules.

If you want to keep it cheap you could build a DIY subkick and use your 57 for attack and the subkick for the lows.
I've got a good kick sound out of an I5 at a gig before but it needed a shit ton of eq. Didn't have anything else available at that gig though.

For metal I'd go for:
E902
D6
E602
E901
B52A

As far as getting snare out of the kick mic goes. Bring your mic to the right hand side of the drum (as you look into the drum placing the mic) and angle it left so that it's facing where the beater strikes the head. Other than that you've just gotta gate it and hope for the best.

I struggled with rock/Metal kicks til i got a D6. LOVE that mic, d112 is okish for less kick heavy music, though great on bass cabs. Can't stand the Beta 52 at all; sounds like a pillow being hit by a pillow. Big fan of a u47 fet in front of the kick. That mic kicks ass.

Greyskull; do you have any clips of the D6 micing a kick drum? I happen to really like the Beta 52, which is why I've never really checked any other kick mic's out. But I'd be interested in a sample or two.

D6 half in the hole off axis and then drape a blanket over the reso head side of the kick and over the mic to help reduce
bleed. I get hardly any bleed really.

This is just my opinion, but I really don't like the 99 for a typical metal kick drum sound.

understood.

i am a firm believer in using more than one kick drum mic at a time.

the opus99 and opus52 used with the yamaha subkick... is an excellent combo.

i am very new to metal, but i like using unique combos.

i could see how the mid-range harmonics would not be appropriate for metal.

nevertheless... i recommend using it.

You know what? Kick sound is a summa of various things and often is very tricky to get a nice one.
I don't understand tuning the beater head as low as possible...everytime I get a woofy/sub bass sound that lacks attack and hi frequencies. Tuning up a little more can help.
Another important aspect is the beater...recently I recorded a drummer that used a felt beater and the sound lacks attack with lot of woofy.
Personaly I would like to learn how to tune correctly a kick drum, because everytime I get lot of sub frenquencies but not a good low frequencies smack.
Surprisingly, I got the best kick sound the first time I recorded a complete drum kit, where I only put the michropones without thinking all these things....it's pretty annoying :D

I use a SM91 and it is great, but lacks really sublows, so you need to mix it up with something fatter. I have both the D112 and the Beta52 at my disposal on the place I work on. The Beta 52 is OK, and the D112 sucks balls on every crap i put it on. BUT i've read on gearslutz that it pointed backwards to the beater head can sound nice. go figure.

Btw, we also have here that Audio Technical mic with dual capsules. It sounds gorgeous (but I never record a drummer with a consistent kick, so I always end up using samples.. :( )

Haha, sounds like lamb of god's gospel bass drum with a little less punch. Try getting a nice remo ebony batter and no reso. Some nice wooden beaters work a charm aswell.

i had a sick drummer come in once and i put my beta52 in the hole and when i played back the totally raw flat soundcheck i was blown away. PERFECT kick sound that i've always wanted and i wasn't even done getting the preamp gain right yet. and after that kid, i never got it again.

moral of the story is... the drum matters.

but seriously, just buy a D6.