Is there any original music left to be discovered?

tk7261

Oct 19, 2012
Any of you guys think that style wise there isn't really any new directions left to go? Is it like technology where its kinda small improvements and steps instead of big huge leaps like there was in the 20th century. I feel like people are going to eventually have to get used to the idea that they aren't really going to hear any bands anymore that sound significantly different from anything they've heard before. And since bands don't explode as much as slowly grow now, when there is an original sounding band they tend to get copied enough early on, so when the band does get popular people have all heard it 1000 times from all the copy bands. I feel like the era of "whoa this has never been done before" is over.

Yep, really sad. There are some random bands out there that are doing some interesting stuff, but you're looking for a needle in a haystack anymore and anything that gets radio play is all bullshit pop stuff and I can't tolerate 90% of it.

I miss the '90's.

Music usually evolves incrementally, look at classical music over a two hundred year period.

If you think heavy music isn't constantly putting out new sounds you're likely not looking, there's been more change 2011-2015 than there was 2006-2010.

In theory there is a infinite amount of music, but due to our limited range and the fact that many of these combinations of music are "bad" we actually have a finite amount of music.

It's funny because I feel that the argument of lack of originality will be brought up forever and there will never be a time where people will stop saying that music is becoming less original. This is to be expected but I'm going to be honest here, there are chord progressions that sound the best, there are rhythms that sound the best to people's ears, there are patterns to what sounds good and what doesn't. Ultimately there are only seven notes in a major scale and one could argue rhythm changes but even rhythms while are infinite in theory are finite in practice.

I guess my main point is that originality imo isn't that important. I would even guess that a lot of chord progressions used in classical music that sound "the best" are probably used today, though I have no facts to back that up. Either way,what's relevant is good music, if it's a good song it's good no matter if it sounds like another one or not.

It seems like any time anyone tries doing anything outside the box they just get an "Experimental" label thrown on them. I don't put much stock into originality anymore, I just look for music that moves me emotionally, very few bands are even capable of that these days. I'd have to agree with bryan, the 90's was a killer era for pretty much every genre, my favorites being Death and Black Metal. They just don't make it like that anymore.