Is this kind of sick, or is it just me?

Spiff

I have the power
Apr 14, 2001
Brisbane, Australia
I'm all for euthanasia and all, but this is just... hmm.

From Blabbermouth:

Live Suicide To Take Place At HELL ON EARTH Concert - Sep. 15, 2003

Industrial rock band HELL ON EARTH will feature a "live suicide" at their State Theatre performance in St. Petersburg, Florida on Saturday, October 4. A Euthanasia Society member will carry out the suicide to raise awareness for dying with dignity. The Euthanasia member, who suffers from a terminal illness, is using the event as a platform to help make backstreet suicides a thing of the past.

Though his identity is being withheld until the day of the event, he did have this to say, "I thank the Lord that HELL ON EARTH is giving me this opportunity to end my suffering. I just want to say as my last will and testament that this is my God-given choice to end my life. I'd prefer to have a physician-assisted suicide but until the laws are changed, those who are in pain like me will either have to continue to suffer or do it themselves."

The event, "The Hell On Earth Haunted Tour", is part of a national tour the band is on to support their new album, "All Things Disturbingly Sassy".

For more information, visit www.hellonearth.net.

Why is he thanking the band Hell On Earth for giving him the opportunity? Are they going to shoot him? This is ridiculous!

I fully support the right of peoplem to die with dignity (without involvement or intervention from others).

This is plain bullshit.

come on guys, this dude probably was advertising to lots of bands asking for this opportunity.

Hell on Earth gets publicity, Euthanasia gets publicity, this guy gets what he wants.

I see nothing wrong with it, except that the wrong crowd may see the event.

ceydn: I think the problem that people will have with this is that this guys wants to do it in front of a crowd of people, who are there to see a band play music, not to witness a killing, and the band is just going along for the ride collecting all the free publicity.

Spawny: Yeah I was thinking that as well. The band aren't giving him the opportunity to kill himself, he could (and should) do it on his own time.

This is wrong on so many levels, I'm not even sure where to begin. I can only hope that this is some bizarre publicity stunt involving an actor. Anyone who actually witnesses a death in this manner (or any manner, for that matter) would be distressed and disturbed. If I was there and saw this happen, I would sue the band and everyone involved for the mental distress it would cause. I only hope no one turns up except the police.

[color=#aoeooa]There are so many other ways that you can get a message out to the people than the atrotious one of "terminating yourself" on stage. In reality such an event won't get the message out as it's only to a small percentage of the audience and the people who do hear about it. (ie us) find it repulsive and a terrible act by everyone involved.

The kind of audience who would turn out to a concert isn't really the audience I'd want to be associated with. For me the people I associate with the metal scene are articulate and well presented like us here. But then again it takes all types unfortunately.[/color]