Is your music nice?

Guttmann

Jan 30, 2007
thats an odd question, but ive been thinking about for quite a while now.
Few months ago i got FOABP and gave it a listen and my mom heard it and said "thats pretty nice music".
yeah, well, FOABP might be called "nice", but im not sure about other things. say Agalloch, or heavier Opeth or anything of that sort, are they meant to be "nice"?
They move on a certain feeling, certain thought, certain idea. thats for sure. but is "nice" is the word to describe them?

The only person to define "nice" is yourself.

You/your mom/others can say one things is nice, and still, I can think it's lame. But that's just my opinion. It's only your opinion that matters.
But I do agree, it's somewhat of an odd question.

But I see where you're going. But yeah, I think it's "nice". The atmosphere is very moody and it can make certain feelings/thoughts spring to mind.
But I definitely think that Opeth is supposed to be that way. And I don't know about Agalloch though. Never heard them.

but Opeth isn't "nice" in terms of "accessible". any music with growls isn't accessible to a non-metal/mainstream audience imo.

+ mikeal is hawt!¬!

..Some of my music is 'nice'.. Some isn't.. And that's how i likes it.

Fo' egizzle:

Nice - Alcest, Air, Espers, The Beach Boys etc..

Not Nice - Silencer, Deathspell Omega, Undead Anally Infected Jewish Hitler, Scott Walker.

There's nothing wrong with nice music. I think softer Opeth can be nice. Dark, yes, but nice. Benighted for example. Agalloch too, I remember once when my mum asked me to make her a CD of Agalloch for her car.
But yeah I listen to other nice music, Alcest springs to mind.
But I do listen to not-so-nice music like Decapitated and Abramelin.

"Undead Anally Infected Jewish Hitler"
-lol

some of my music is "nice," while the rest isnt. some of my music sounds nice, but actually, lyrically, is pretty dark...like nick drake. =)

but im sure listeners unfamiliar with the genre would dub kayo dot as pretty horrifying...like in a horror movie, or a psychological thriller.

ok, my examples were'nt so good... say canibal corpse. no argue here, they dont have any mellow or partially mellow songs.
you sure can love their songs, but would you describe them as nice? and any other metal bands, who very often use dissonance in their melodies, (and from here - intentionally unpleasant sound) would they call those specific melodies nice?
there is something very... amm.... appealing in those off-scale notes, maybe because when you go back on-scale you kind of appreciate it. i dont know how to explain my thoughts.

yes, my music is nice. this is my opinion, and it may vary from the opinions of others.
nice music, harmonics, melody, technicality.. and so on, they all play a roll.
listen to some Tommy Emmanuel, very nice instrumentalist.
something on a more metal note, perhaps, a metal artist accompanied by a orchestra.
maybe, Yngwie Malmsteen - Concerto Suite and if you like that, you may want to try listening to some Cocaphony. Same approach, but not accompanied by a orchestra.
if you meant general calm, slow music.. Doom, Melodeth Metal.. Opeth, Agalloch, Orphaned Land.. there are a couple of posts relating that kind of thing.
many things can be described as nice. different things appeal to different listeners.

Tommy Emmanuel is amazing. He toured regional Australia last year or earlier this year and I saw him in my towns theater. It was so good.

Like most people I listen to a mix of nice and not nice music. But like Don mentioned, the music can be nice with very dark lyrics like Anathema or as he mentioned, Nick Drake.