in what situation/mood is dt's music most powerful?

tunaman

hatchet thrower
Feb 2, 2006
california (u)$@
i pose the question because i feel it is an important one. specifically when talking about dt's music as it is more emotional than most metal/thrash style music we might otherwise be subjected to.

dt's music is also very epic, dramatic, and powerful in my opinion. but more powerful to some perhaps not all during certain specific times or in certain settings. i'll share my thoughts and i'd like to hear yours.

i always love to listen to dt but find their music to be most powerful often when it's of course dark, maybe raining, but definitely when i'm driving. could be four-wheeling, just cruising the highway or backroads in my sports car or heading back home in the work van. there's just something about being alone on the road listening to dt. and i always love 'a new build' or 'through smuggled lenses' whenever i'm pissed.

I think one of the main reasons why I like DT so much, is because the emotionality always gets me. So in a way the music tends to pull me into itself and out of whatever situation I was in.
I guess there are certain combinations of music and context that work exceedingly well though. I like to be in the city, on a partially cloudy day in fall or winter and listen to the more recent songs, from Haven onward. That gives me an almost existentialistic feeling of detachement and observation.
As if the music was talking to me about the world... these are the wonders at your feet...

At concerts or even in a club, I really like the older, fast stuff, like Punish My Heaven. I always go so fucking mad to that one. The drama picks me up and throws me around, so it's best in a situation where I can go all mental on it, without hitting other peoples' cars or the like ;)

There is also a weird connection I feel between DT's music and the books of William Gibson.

There is also a weird connection I feel between DT's music and the books of William Gibson.

I once did a thread about literature and DT and the stuff it reminds you of along with stuff it might even be influenced by lyrically. I'll try and dig it up when I have a spare minute.

As everyone will agree, I think the best situation for DT is more mood based, but usually if I'm walking home from a hard day of work or on the bus home from uni, DT kind of revitalises me aswell as helps me relax, if that makes sense. I also think more about the music I'm listening to when I'm traveling by foot... especially if the weather is grim and the streets are sparse of people.

i like both of your insights so far. it seems we all have a strong connection between things in our lives and dt's music. i too am always caught in the moment when i see them live as we probably all are and also find that gloomy weather seems to enhance the mood of their music dramatically.

What is very unique about dt and makes them actually different is that their music is with so much feeling, very deep, like Lethe and a couple of other songs for example. When I watch Lethe on The World Domination VHS I seriously go crazy! dt - my alltime favorite band...

I find they're at their most intense in comparison. To other music. Let's say I have a long playlist on shuffle and a DT song kicks in: the previous and the following songs are destroyed by how much I "feel" the one by DT, every single time and regardless of how much I love those other songs.

I find they're at their most intense in comparison. To other music. Let's say I have a long playlist on shuffle and a DT song kicks in: the previous and the following songs are destroyed by how much I "feel" the one by DT, every single time and regardless of how much I love those other songs.

Very well put. I agree 100%.

I recall I went to visit some party a few years ago, I was going to leave quickly as I didn't want to get drunk that night for some forgotten reason, and the host (who knows me well) said "I've got something for you, just wait a moment". Then he went and changed whatever was playing (might've been Soilwork or something like that) for Damage Done - and I just had to stay there for a while, because I couldn't leave while DT was playing.

As for listening to DT while having sex, yeah, I can imagine how great it could feel. Then again, right now I'd probably be happy listening to Britney Spears / Come Clarity / my father's jazz-band's drunken records / any other horrible crap while having sex.

-Villain (who's long ago forgotten what sex feels like)

Generally, any DT song is good at about anytime. However, I do tend to associate some of their albums to a specific mood or situation.

The Gallery: Well, this one I can listen to almost all the time but I feel it fits best during any sunny winter day.
The Mind's I: Early spring, any time of the day, whether it's raining or not.
Projector: This album is much to "urban" to be listened to anywhere else than in the streets, in the middle of the night, surrounded by city lights.

I presume that these feelings are related to the weather on the days I purchased them or something.

I like to listen to the Projector album and to "Emptier Still" when i am in a sad/depressive mood.
I often listen to DT when i am alone at home in the morning before leaving for University, or in the bus when i come back after a crappy day. It gives me energy back.

For me it's simple. DT can't be combined with any other activity and must be enjoyed when nothing else is happening in the world. If that's not the case, everything else happening in the world (be it driving, talking or having sex (what's that again?)) will be destroyed at once due to insufficient amounts of attention. Therefore, i don't listen to DT much. :p

Hey guys and girls. I have never posted in this forum before. But, DT is my favorite band (and thats saying alot) They have this special feel, vibe, emotion, in their music that just hits me the second a song starts. The only other music that can do this for me is Devin Townsend. The power of Mikael's voice (scream and clean) is something that really touches me. I can listen to any of the albums at any time of day or night or season. But I do find projector best on cold dark, and sad days. I won't say it will cheer me up, but it will definatly put my life, and everything around me in prespective and i'll feel an overwhelming sense of peace and acceptance. This is how things are, and things happen as they happen.

Character is my pissed off, self-loathing album. I think this is connected tro when it was released, and at that time things with my then girlfriend were bad. Things were fucked up, I hated the way my life was going at that point in time. But, everytime I put on character it was such a release, and a sense of "no one can fuck with me, my life is mine only" and it was very theraputic and got me through some of the worst times in my life.

Haven, and Damage Done are my "sunny" albums. I love these two most during hot summer days (and in LA, thats everyday in the summer) and warm summer nights. It makes me enjoy that time and the city and all the lights at night, but all the while still making me reflect on life in general.

Overall, DT is best listened to anytime because they have this power to mold and shape my surroundings and really really make me think (which is something most music fails to do.) Whether its the early albums or the recent ones, I love it all.

hope this wasn't too long.

/Jeff

What is very unique about dt and makes them actually different is that their music is with so much feeling, very deep, like Lethe and a couple of other songs for example. When I watch Lethe on The World Domination VHS I seriously go crazy! dt - my alltime favorite band...

The same for me that show was .... I would give my life to see it for real!
The best Moment i'd like to listen DT is when im happy it makes me feel so good, it boost my happinness!Other moment i like listening to DT is when i'm a bit sad or frustrated, it gives me a kind of force like some of you! Once i try to listen to DT during sex session :) but my girlfriend do not like it she tells me its to agrresive! so viva El KitKat :lol:

I have thought about this for some time, but I cannot come up with a coherent answer. I can listen to DT anytime, but, as melancholy as I am, I tend to spin their cds when I feel sad. But there is a word I associate with DTs music, and the word is "landscape".

I think one of the reasons that I keep coming back to DT as one of the mainstays in my cd collection, is that there is no single situation or mood in which their songs are best played.

Part of my feelings behind that is how emotionally evocative their songs are, and not just of a single emotion or feeling per song, but a whole range of moods. Many people will agree / disagree on what each album reminds them of, but for the most part, I find that many people tend to remember the events in their life that had the most emotional bearing on them when they first listened to the album. Damage Done still does this to me, even though the events they recall are ones I haven't thought about in years, and truly don't even affect me at this point in my life. However, I can still remember exactly how I felt and how those events shaped that point in my life as though it was yesterday.

Sure, other albums I listen to bring back memories as well. Reroute to Remain and my brief obsession with Snood. Samael's Passage and Return to Castle Wolfenstein. But neither of those really have any emotional impact. I think that one of the reasons we're so deeply affected by DT's music is that it solidifies itself in our memories and our emotions by striking us on many different levels at once. Much as it's easier to remember something you've studied if you've taken in the material in a number of different ways, DT stays with us over the years because of how it has cemented itself to our emotional histories.

~kov. ("I was walking with my friend once, and he told me, 'I hear music.' I turned and said to him, 'You're not special. That's how I take it in, too.' I tried to taste it once. It did not work.")

I remember that the last (really last...) time that my grandpa (...) went to CR to visit us, I felt that I wanted him to know me better, I wanted to destroy that image that he has of me of being a video game geek (which I still am hehe :kickass: :lol: :p ), so I said: "Hey, this is one of my favourite bands, atually it's probably my fave, so I would like ye to listen to it, ok?" *nods*

I play a few sons of The Gallery, doesn't really appeal to him 'cause he can't follow it, but he said he liked the acoustic parts and the part in "The Gallery" in which the girl sings.

:headbang: getting there... .

Then I play, Projector. I played Freecard, then jumped a few tracks and went to Auctioned. I put the lyrics form darklyrics.com (like +20 amplified becauswe he couldn't see them hehe :p ), and well, he started crying.

I was with the love of my life, Mrs.Gigi, at that time, we both saw him and went like "Holy s#^&^& o_O awwww."

And well he denied it, but I definetly saw his eyes getting watered and all, he didn't actually cried but we could see that he was kind of, sad, you know? Basically the feeling of melancholy you get when you hear Projector.

That's how powerful DT is. It is able to appeal to my grandpa (who didn't listen to anything but classical music), and it isable to stir emotions that were hidden deep within him.

That's how powerful they are.