ISIS "PANOPTICON"

I've only listened to it once. It seemed good, probably going to grow on me. But please, there's no need for such hyperbole over a band who aren't even the primary innovators of their genre (that would be Neurosis). Oh, and it already is a genre - post-hardcore (as much as I hate this term, seeing as it is used in other circles to refer to Fugazi and their ilk).

I got this a couple of weeks ago (early release for Europe, I assume) and it's really cool.

polarity said:
I've only listened to it once. It seemed good, probably going to grow on me. But please, there's no need for such hyperbole over a band who aren't even the primary innovators of their genre (that would be Neurosis). Oh, and it already is a genre - post-hardcore (as much as I hate this term, seeing as it is used in other circles to refer to Fugazi and their ilk).
Exactly. Calm-down SoM, this stuff has been around for years already.

As for Panopticon, I only bought it four days ago or so, but it seems excellent so far. Much moodier and less aggressive than Oceanic, which I think is a good thing. The thing that fascinates me most is the concept though; it adds incredible depth and atmosphere to the music on a contemplative level.

guys theyve changed their sound form the whole post hardcore thing. they are definitely shifting towards a more post rock/metal sound. I know theyre influenced by neurosis (who have also seemed to shift towards this sound and are doing a record with isis thats very post rock influenced .. Red Sparrowes). Don't tell me I don't know what I'm talking about.

I still haven't given it a proper listen through yet but from what I can remember it isn't as good as 'Oceanic' and I definitely prefer Cult of Luna's new one over it too. Might try and sit down with it tomorrow or something.

took me a while for it to grow on me but its actually a very amazing album. I won't see its not as good as oceanic because it just seems like a different album. Oceanic remains my favorite though for now.

is cult of luna's new one out yet?

Oceanic Motion said:
I still haven't given it a proper listen through yet but from what I can remember it isn't as good as 'Oceanic' and I definitely prefer Cult of Luna's new one over it too. Might try and sit down with it tomorrow or something.

Same here. I'd also take Neurosis' most recent album over it in the blink of an eye, but I need to give it a better listen.

I've never heard any songs by Cult of Luna. If they're anything near Isis, like I've been hearing, I probably should check them out.

As for Isis and Neurosis, I think I like Isis better as of late. Panopticon and Oceanic kick my ass. I've not given Neurosis thorough listens yet. All I know is that the song "Bridges" is damn good.

Its an amazing album, and it tops oceanic for me personally. The first two tracks are absolute masterpieces.

I personally like Cult of Luna best of the three (inc. Neurosis and Isis), but only by the tiniest of margins. They're a lot heavier than Isis, but not quite as heavy as earlier Neurosis, and they're probably on average about as melodic as Isis, maybe moreso. They're heavy on the atmosphere as well. I highly reccommend them. You can't really go wrong with any album or song of theirs either, so listen to what you can.

They might have fucked themselves over in creating Oceanic as it's an absolutely flawless record in my mind. But Panopticon satifies me very much. It's still growing on me. I prefer listening to it all the way through as it flows so well, yuou don't even notice when a song has changed.

The Eye of Every Storm is a masterpiece as well in my mind, can't say which I like better.

Listening to Panopticon for the very first time now. Definately a natural progression (that i was kind of expecting, but not in a bad way). Can't say if I like it better than Oceanic yet. "So Did We" (which i heard before i bought it) is probably their best song so far.