Isis vs. 'osis

?

• Neurosis

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • Isis

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Neither. I'm gay and don't listen to either band.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
So I pulled out "The Eye of Every Storm" again today and was once again impressed. It's better than "A Sun that Never Sets", but very much in the same style. Why does no one talk about this anymore? When it came out, the forum world was buzzing with high praise. In my opinion, it's one of the bands best efforts. Maybe top 10, definitely top 20. Anyway, I noticed that this is very, very subtle stuff compared to "Panopticon". While "Panopticon" is more of an "aware" experience, "The Eye..." is more meditating-in-a-dark-room sort of stuff. That is not to say that "Panopticon" isn't positively swimming in layers and nuances... it just seems that Neurosis is a band in which one must go out of their way to understand, while Isis opens up to the listener only after several listens (listens that don't necessarily demand your total attention). I guess this reinforces the general opinion that Isis are "Neurosis-lite". Both bands have that layered wide-open sounds that alternate between bone-crushing heaviness and quiet, dreamy atmospheres... So which do you prefer? Will Isis eventually conquer Neurosis' throne? Have they already conquered it? Or are the styles too different to compare?

Neurosis. No question really.

Yes, I consider Isis "Neurosis-lite" or "Neurosis for beginners". That's not taking away anything from Isis, because Oceanic and Panopticon are both brilliant albums. But to echo what BWD said, Neurosis takes initiative and perseverance to conquer their albums. Isis does as well, but it's much easier to fully digest their albums in a shorter amount of time.

I like The Eye of Every Storm much more than ASTNS. It's not as depressing and morose I think, and that's how I like Neurosis. I'd rather them be menacing than depressed.

As far as the actual albums, Neurosis still leads with Times of Grace and Through Silver in Blood. I think with Panopticon, Isis surpassed Souls at Zero. And Oceanic surpassed Enemy of the Sun and ASTNS. But if there is one band that can de-throne Neurosis, Isis is it. And they keep getting better and better each time, so who knows.

BTW, anyone interested in these bands would do well in getting Cult of Luna's latest, Salvation.

Wow, I remember how much I LOATHED ASTNS when I first heard it and everyone jumped on me. While I understand the album a bit more now than I did then, it is completely stupid to judge a Neurosis album until you've listened to it at least 5 focused times.

I've yet to hear TSIB. I think I'll keep off buying it until I've absorbed the 4 I have more completely.

Which other one do you have?

Times of Grace
A Sun That Never Sets
Eye of Every Storm
???????

TSIB is friggin' insane.

Through Silver in Blood rocks, so does Panopticon. Those are the only albums I'm familiar with, and my limited understanding of both calls it a draw: two pretty damn fine pieces of music.

One Inch Man said:
Through Silver in Blood rocks, so does Panopticon. Those are the only albums I'm familiar with, and my limited understanding of both calls it a draw: two pretty damn fine pieces of music.
o_O o_O o_O

So let me get this straight...you're saying "Through Silver in Blood" is as good as "Panopticon"? Damn, then I shall pull out TSiB again because I remember not digging it all that much when I first heard it.

"Panopticon" on the other hand blew me away on first listen. At the end of the day, I shall not vote, but as it stands today:

ISIS >>>>>>>>>> Neurosis

Yes, and now that you like Isis and even Mar de Grises I was going to tell you to listen to TSIB again, because you'll probably like it. It is NOT an immediate album though, I've listened to it a bunch and it is still growing quite a bit. Hmm, think I'll dig that one out tonight...

And then maybe someday you'll open that Kayo Dot thread. :p

Ha I voted for Isis, they are my favorite band. But it was hard for the reasons I mentioned. Maybe in a few albums, and with more experimentation, Isis will truly overcome Neurosis in everyone's minds.

It would make more sense to me perhaps if I had listened to Neurosis from the early years. Since I've only heard Neurosis and Isis in the last 12 months, either bands influence or history is null and void to me. So based on what I like today, ISIS!!

It would make more sense to me perhaps if I had an affair with your mom from the early years. Since I've had an affair with your mom and your sister in the last 12 months, either's influence or history is null and void to me. So based on what I like today, YOUR SISTER!!!!

:loco: