Iso Enclosure for 4x12 Cab for Recording

sah5150

Sep 8, 2005
Thought you guys might be interested in this. This is an iso cab that I use for recording my cranked 100W non-master amp. It works very well for the application. There are two mics only because I run one of the mics through an H&K Replex via the insert on my Great Rivers MP2NV mic pre for echo. I'm sure there are other ways to achieve this, but that is how I currently set up. If you want to record loud, but don't want to get arrested, these things are a life saver...

enclosure1.jpg

enclosure2.jpg

enclosure3.jpg

Here is a link to where I got mine. I'm sure some of you who are fairly handy could probably build it yourself:

Amp Enclosure - get one here!

Here are my comments on what you can expect from it (how well it works, etc.) This was written by me and unedited and will answer just about any question you might have:

My testimonial comments here

Steve

Nitronium Blood said:
Audio clips?

Click on the "Various Mojave PeaceMaker Clips" link in my sig. Almost every one of the clips there was recorded in the Iso Box, except the PODXT clip, of course, which was direct. They are not super heavy, but you will definitely hear that the cab sounds good recorded in there... I'm going to be recording some heavier clips through a 5150II through that setup soon as well and I'll post those...

Steve

Brett - K A L I S I A said:
Price is not on the website, how much did you pay for it ?

Mine was $800 shipped to my door. Not cheap, but for what I needed it was worth it. As I said, I believe if you are handy with tools you could probably build one yourself, however, I am not...

Steve

Needless to say, I'm sure that box takes care of all high frequencies.

Can you tell me how much bass and low mid you "feel" outside of the cabinet? Does it still rumble and rattle walls, or does it actually manage to help with lower (150hz and below) frequencies to the outside world?

I am _this_ close to building a very similar enclosure for my lil' 1x12 boogie cab. Reckon about $50 in parts and about 3 hours labor.

EtherForBreakfast said:
Needless to say, I'm sure that box takes care of all high frequencies.

Can you tell me how much bass and low mid you "feel" outside of the cabinet? Does it still rumble and rattle walls, or does it actually manage to help with lower (150hz and below) frequencies to the outside world?

I am _this_ close to building a very similar enclosure for my lil' 1x12 boogie cab. Reckon about $50 in parts and about 3 hours labor.

If you click on that "testimonial" link I included in my original post, it will answer all your questions. Check it out, I wrote it and it is unedited - it is better than me repeating the info in post after post...

Thanks,

Steve

For the sake of argument, let's just say I'm not quite ready to read a big lengthy review at this point, because I'm not planning on buying that exact product.

Can you give me the cliffs notes version of how much bass the outer world feels when you are at 5 or 6 on MV?

EtherForBreakfast said:
For the sake of argument, let's just say I'm not quite ready to read a big lengthy review at this point, because I'm not planning on buying that exact product.

Can you give me the cliffs notes version of how much bass the outer world feels when you are at 5 or 6 on MV?
*chuckle*

EtherForBreakfast said:

Ok, much less.

The review is a few paragraphs long, give me a break. If you are going to invest time in buying materials and building it yourself it is worth the minute or so it would have taken to read.

Steve

Isn't there going to be a huge boost in approx. 180Hz-220Hz region in a closed box like that with the specs of 37"H X 36.5"W X 30.5"D due to standing waves? Just wondering.

Distorted said:
Isn't there going to be a huge boost in approx. 180Hz-220Hz region in a closed box like that with the specs of 37"H X 36.5"W X 30.5"D due to standing waves? Just wondering.

Listen to my clips and tell me what you think. None of then have any EQ at all. But, short answer is no. The foam material absorbs everything and with a close mic in there all you are hearing is the initial sound from the speaker.

Steve

sah5150 said:
Listen to my clips and tell me what you think. None of then have any EQ at all. But, short answer is no. The foam material absorbs everything and with a close mic in there all you are hearing is the initial sound from the speaker.

Steve

Heh. I seriously doubt that foam will absorb anything else than some of the higher frequencies. The low frequencies will just keep bouncing of the walls and therefore the definition will suffer. But hey if it works for you...

And here's a link to a picture of a reverbless room: http://www.ele.tut.fi/~lkaila/hardware/Kaiuton_huone.jpg
Too bad they don't let us students go there.

Checked out some of those clips but... I'm willing to wait for those heavier 5150II clips.:D

Distorted said:
Heh. I seriously doubt that foam will absorb anything else than some of the higher frequencies. The low frequencies will just keep bouncing of the walls and therefore the definition will suffer. But hey if it works for you...

And here's a link to a picture of a reverbless room: http://www.ele.tut.fi/~lkaila/hardware/Kaiuton_huone.jpg
Too bad they don't let us students go there.

Checked out some of those clips but... I'm willing to wait for those heavier 5150II clips.:D

Bottom line - I've recorded my amp without the iso cab and with it and close mic'd with a 57 at the volume I record I hear no difference. And no one else I've provided clips of both to can tell the difference either. The definition does not suffer one bit.

Not sure what your point is about the clips. I said they weren't heavy, however the lead tones sound good to me.

Steve

sah. for the sake of argument, lol, I also listened to the clips... the inner amateur van halen in you runs strong, my son...

i also await heavy clips with your mic'd up tomb of $800 death rig.

EtherForBreakfast said:
sah. for the sake of argument, lol, I also listened to the clips... the inner amateur van halen in you runs strong, my son...

i also await heavy clips with your mic'd up tomb of $800 death rig.

Hey ya know - the only reason I pointed to the clips is that they sound like I intended them to and he asked about the issue of standing waves, which I don't think are causing a problem in them. I didn't post them to demonstrate my playing in any way and I wouldn't expect them to fly here where everyone is into much heavier stuff. The VH clips were done for the amp manufacturer to demonstrate that particular tone.

When I get some heavier 5150II clips together, I'll post 'em... and I suspect they won't sound any different than if I'd recorded them outside of the iso cab... whether anyone will like the playing, tone, or riffs is an entirely different question of course...

BTW - I'm here to learn. I'm no expert on anything, just thought a few folks might find this useful as it does work if you want to record at higher volumes and you have issues with neighbors, etc... I also said that people could easily build this for a lot less money - for me, the $$ were worth it since I don't have the time or inclination to build one myself. I'd rather spend the time playing...

Steve

Steve...

Of course you were not trying to demonstrate your playing.

I think the tone is cool, for what you were after. It's a pretty close plexi sound.

I'm a bit smurfed on you because I asked a very simple question about how much bass is felt outside of that thing. Either that thing works REALLY well (for $800 it fucking better) or it "kinda" works.

No feathers are ruffled dude. I'm very much into lead playing, but not VH legato over canned backings. I'd rather hear high gain pummeling with the leads seasoned to taste...

EtherForBreakfast said:
Steve...

Of course you were not trying to demonstrate your playing.

I think the tone is cool, for what you were after. It's a pretty close plexi sound.

I'm a bit smurfed on you because I asked a very simple question about how much bass is felt outside of that thing. Either that thing works REALLY well (for $800 it fucking better) or it "kinda" works.

No feathers are ruffled dude. I'm very much into lead playing, but not VH legato over canned backings. I'd rather hear high gain pummeling with the leads seasoned to taste...

As to your original question, the cab knocks out a lot of the bass and low mids, but you will hear and feel some outside of the cab with a loud amp. I'd compare the volume of these frequencies outside the cab to moderate TV volume. I have mine in a closet below some stairs across from my control room and with the closet door closed, you can barely hear anything outside of it with a cranked non-master 100W amp. To make the cab most effective with a cranked loud amp, you need a bit of secondary barrier (like my closet door, or even some foam padding or blankets) or you will hear some bass and low mids. The reason I pointed you to the link was that I already wrote this information there and didn't think it was that difficult to follow the link to read the short writeup. Regardless, here it is, repeated.

As far as your preferences in material... ummm..., thanks, I'll keep that in mind... ;)

Steve

Hey sah5150, I love your tone I'm a big fan of Van Halen, your peacemaker is really near the original tone of Mr Brownsound.
And I can say your playing is awesome, really great playing specially on legato stuff, you destroyed a classic like little wing :D great cover!
About the iso cab: do you know if there's on the web a scheme to build a homemade iso cab?
800$ is too much expensive to me

Maurizio