Israel and Jordan Trip: A Picture Thread

WhiteBeastofWotan

Apostitutes!
May 22, 2003
Philly
Visit site
Unfortunately I lost my digital camera in Germany, so I had to use shitty disposable cameras and then scan them with my moms shitty scanner, so the pictures are of questionable (ie shitty) quality. UM is apparently retarded now, I can only post 3 pictures per post, so I guess I have to spread these out.

I got the second half of the trip developed first, so I'll start off with Petra in Jordan. Petra is a 2000+ year old Nabataean city that was carved into the rock of a mountain.

The Treasury. Look at the tourists to get an idea of how big this bitch is. Once again, it's all once piece that was carved out of the mountain.
IsraelandPetra-1.jpg

Some cozy homes.
IsraelandPetra002-1.jpg

IsraelandPetra003-1.jpg

Ruins of a Temple that was built by the Romans some time later when they "annexed" the region.
IsraelandPetra004-1.jpg

I forget what this building is, but you can be sure that its fucking old.
IsraelandPetra005-1.jpg

There was a Nabataean temple at the top of one of the mountains that had later been turned into a Monastery by the Byzantines. Nice two hour hike to get up to it:
IsraelandPetra008-1.jpg

View from the top.
IsraelandPetra011-1.jpg

After Petra we returned to Israel to czech out Masada, a 2000 year old fortress built on a freakin huge plateau in the middle of the freakin desert. Unfortunately, I don't remember what most of these things are.

IsraelandPetra009.jpg

IsraelandPetra010.jpg

Max I gotta say there's a really great retro feel with these pics due to the camera/scanner aspect. I actually really like it and think these pics are awesome and Jordan looks like a totally cool place.

This picture reminds me of epic fantasy lands where empires would build their castles in the mountainous rocks so that enemies wouldn't try to cross them to get in. It's hard to believe that nowadays, building something like a castle in a place like this would be practically unheard of. It's crazy how differently intelligent people were thousands of years ago.
IsraelandPetra011-1.jpg

Max I gotta say there's a really great retro feel with these pics due to the camera/scanner aspect. I actually really like it and think these pics are awesome and Jordan looks like a totally cool place.

This picture reminds me of epic fantasy lands where empires would build their castles in the mountainous rocks so that enemies wouldn't try to cross them to get in. It's hard to believe that nowadays, building something like a castle in a place like this would be practically unheard of. It's crazy how differently intelligent people were thousands of years ago.

Agreed, one of the reasons I find this stuff fascinating. Just to give you an idea of how nuts Masada is, here's a picture (not taken by me obviously) of the plateau it was built on top of.
masada.JPG

The only thing more nuts than building a palace and fortress on that thing is actually attacking it, like the Romans did.

Max Im so proud of you :)

Matzada is awesome. I hiked in that desert and went up to the top of it by foot many times :kickass:
(Max, did you climb it, or took that tramp up?)

And Petra is lovely... How cool Max, you make me miss home :/

More pictures! These are from the first part of the trip, in Jerusalem.

First we went to the Western ("Wailing") Wall
IsraelandPetra011-2.jpg

Where there was some intense Judaism going on
IsraelandPetra012-1.jpg

And then we checked out the awesome archaeological stuff around the Temple Mount.
IsraelandPetra-2.jpg

IsraelandPetra010-2.jpg

IsraelandPetra007-2.jpg

IsraelandPetra005-2.jpg

IsraelandPetra004-2.jpg

IsraelandPetra003-2.jpg

My dad gazing contemplatively down the ancient street in front of the ruins of the Second Temple.
IsraelandPetra002-2.jpg

IsraelandPetra001-2.jpg

View from Mount Zion
IsraelandPetra008-2.jpg

We went to the Church of the Holy Sepulchre, but most of my pictures from there didn't come out because it was really dark in there (whats with Orthodox and Catholic christians and dark depressing churches?). This picture of a cool mosaic came out though
IsraelandPetra013.jpg

At the Israel Museum there was an awesome huge scale model of Jerusalem during the Second Temple Period (about 2000 years ago)
IsraelandPetra006-1.jpg

And finally here's a couple pictures of the Old City itself
IsraelandPetra009-2.jpg

IsraelandPetra014.jpg