It feels so wierd not having a *like* button here.

I tend to dislike FaceBook because of its total lack of privacy and security - any state "security services" incl. Russian ones can abuse one's private information here, and its founder Zak Tsukerman abused the service's privacy more than once hijacking users' private email boxes.

Facebook is evil, I have said it often and will keep on saying it. It is the capitalist nightmare's online version with some elements of both Brave New World and 1984 in the melting pot. People throwing their privacy overboard for the sake of some pointless games, messages that could easily be sent using emails, and countless useless apps... they know about Facebook's dodgy reputation but seem to not even mind that their private life is sold to advertisers all the time. Why the whole world embraces this online monster is a mystery to me. I have had a profile and decided to quit using the site, can't say I ever missed it at all, on the contrary I blame myself for my initial curiosity. I do remember vaguely there were a lot of "top 5s" (top 5 favourite singers, top 5 favourite films, top 5 prettiest women, top 5 favourite football stars, ...), one of those many apps... One of them was the "top 5 of people you'd like to punch in the face". At the time I thought that was quite brutal to include in a site. But retrospectively, I think I would include Mark Zuckerberg himself in that list. :devil:

Facebook and MySpace are both run by mala fide persons with no respect for their users whatsoever, both could have been perfect networking sites to share valuable information on a variety of subjects if it wasn't for the sites embracing corporate thinking and users using the site to share so much useless data that finding actually useful info becomes searching for a needle in a giant haystick.

Facebook helps you to stay in touch with friends?? That is what email is for as well, I don't see why this suddenly wouldn't be good enough. To see now that on the metro people are busy using their mobile phones with internet access, updating their Facebook profiles while on the metro... that is just madness. They can't even leave the site alone during a metro ride, it's like the moment they have nothing to do they are on Facebook. There seems no escape from it :mad:

Statements like that makes me think that the world is collapsing.

I'm part of the old school, and I've grown with forums, mailing lists and ircs.

mailing lists were substituted by forums.
ircs were substituted by messenger (who remembers Miranda ICQ?)
forums will dissapear because of twiters, tuentis and facebooks.

My world is collapsing... I do no like new communication systems, i do not have a facebook and intend not to have one, am i being getting outdated?

lozano

No you're not outdated, you're just being more clever than the majority of people. I wish I never signed up, I got bored of FB so rapidly... I haven't used my account in ages and don't plan to re-use it. I just wait to find out how to permanently delete it as opposed to make it dormant. A friend of mine managed to delete her account somehow, and she got a message from Facebook "How will you fill your spare time without us?". Arrogance got a new dimension with that pop-up...

I am an aspiring artist (= actively writing and performing, hoping to go professional in the future) but I refuse to use Facebook for promoting my material. Facebook's corporate culture goes straight against my own far left anti-capitalist believes and their lack of interest in the wellbeing of their users if just beyond believe. Even when I know many people look at FB for info, I refuse to use it for promoting my stuff.

And MySpace is just as bad, with Rupert Murdoch having control over it. The same man of Fox TV, the propaganda channel of the Republican Party, and not shy of twisting news facts to benefit the party. I don't want to use a networking site run by such mala fide people.