IT'S MIXING CONTEST TIME!! Periphery's "Scarlet" multitrack

Well, I'm not really hiding that fact (as a matter of fact, I named them in my last post, and I feel proud of myself of using them as a composing tool). I just named the instruments that were used to make that VSTIs. In fact, people who know me know that I've been using VSTi guitars for a veeeeery long time (cuz recording real guitars are sooooooo mainstream for me :D )

Spent 2-3 hours with this tonight... Here's my result!

MY MIX: http://bit.ly/1b2FAOB

Super fun contest and a GREAT idea!

Found the toms that hardest part because of the INSANE amount of bleed… Some of the guitars were tracked a little funky during the break ( kind of out of tune with awkward pauses ) other than that the cover was preformed amazingly!

I have the drum samples available for anyone who digs em!

Spent 2-3 hours with this tonight... Here's my result!

MY MIX: http://bit.ly/1b2FAOB

Super fun contest and a GREAT idea!

Found the toms that hardest part because of the INSANE amount of bleed… Some of the guitars were tracked a little funky during the break ( kind of out of tune with awkward pauses ) other than that the cover was preformed amazingly!

I have the drum samples available for anyone who digs em!

About the drum bleed: I tried to emulate what happens when somebody record a real drum. Lots of bleed can happen.

And yeah, the bridge guitars have pauses, but they have tons of reverb and delay in the original song

Well, I'm not really hiding that fact (as a matter of fact, I named them in my last post, and I feel proud of myself of using them as a composing tool). I just named the instruments that were used to make that VSTIs. In fact, people who know me know that I've been using VSTi guitars for a veeeeery long time (cuz recording real guitars are sooooooo mainstream for me :D )

No, don't get me wrong, I use Shreddade 2 from time to time - It's an awesome composition tool. It's just replys like the one you gave to the guy wondering why the guitars sounded odd. The obvious answer is because it's MIDI; not because you compressed it. And usually, people uploading multitracks use to tell people what they used in the first post. It just feels like you're trying to pass it on as real guitars, which seems kind of odd to me. I think it's an interesting idea, I have never done a serious mix with midi guitars, so it should be fun, but yeah... As I said, just seems kind of odd that it feels like you're trying to hide the fact that it's MIDI. D:

No, don't get me wrong, I use Shreddade 2 from time to time - It's an awesome composition tool. It's just replys like the one you gave to the guy wondering why the guitars sounded odd. The obvious answer is because it's MIDI; not because you compressed it. And usually, people uploading multitracks use to tell people what they used in the first post. It just feels like you're trying to pass it on as real guitars, which seems kind of odd to me. I think it's an interesting idea, I have never done a serious mix with midi guitars, so it should be fun, but yeah... As I said, just seems kind of odd that it feels like you're trying to hide the fact that it's MIDI. D:

It ever wasn't my intention to hide that fact. Of course they are midi! Maybe I thought that, when he spoke about the oddity, it referred to the Guitar 01 tracks, cuz Prominy guitars have a veeery very low palm mute sounds and I had to squash 'em. That overcompression sounded odd to me. But if the oddity was referred as they were MIDI... then YES, they sound odd because of that :D

Rough mix. No automation. Kinda smashed it a little too hard when I exported it so the middle clean section is really loud. Surprise vocal track! Just put some compression and light reverb on them and threw them on top. Also had all the vocals running through one bus so when 2 vocals go at once it gets all weird. I'll finish it later.

If someone could tell me the tempo map that would still be great.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rough mix. No automation. Kinda smashed it a little too hard when I exported it so the middle clean section is really loud. Surprise vocal track! Just put some compression and light reverb on them and threw them on top. Also had all the vocals running through one bus so when 2 vocals go at once it gets all weird. I'll finish it later.

If someone could tell me the tempo map that would still be great.

These are Lauren Babic's vocals, aren't they? :D

And, by the way, I uploaded a MIDI file with the tempo map inside the files.

Last edited by a moderator:
These are Lauren Babic's vocals, aren't they? :D
And, by the way, I uploaded a MIDI file with the tempo map inside the files.

Yeah the vocals are from her youtube video.
When I load the midi file into reaper it just pops up as a 1 bar midi clip. Usually a tempo map will load, but it wont for the included file.

Yeah the vocals are from her youtube video.
When I load the midi file into reaper it just pops up as a 1 bar midi clip. Usually a tempo map will load, but it wont for the included file.

i get the same problem short midi no tempo change

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/61928205/Scarlett Mix Test 1.mp3

Not entirely done, spent practically no time on the clean guitars (hard to put a delay without a tempo map).

One thing that I have experimented with when mixing "real" drums (aka drums with bleed) is putting an expander before everyting else on the more bleed-heavy tracks. This way, when that particular drum isn't playing, the volume of the bleed is lowered by a few dB. I often use really fast attack, so that it kicks in really fast when the drum is played, not chopping off the transient, and really slow release to get the natural sustain of the drum before it fades out. On some tracks on this I had some really ridiculous settings, like 1 ms attack and 4 seconds release. Even if you just get 1-2 dB's of gain reduction on each track, it really cleans up the drum bus a lot. Be careful of ghost hits etc on the snare though, they can be really tough to keep.

Don't know if this is standard practice or not, just one thing I have tested with great results, some advice I wanted to share!